Political party

da_blissmachine: maybe we should have an anarchy in the whole world, proclame free love, wear nothing but flowers, and sing kumbaya

tracksuitboy: [quote author=da_blissmachine link=board=meetgreet;num=1067598374;start=20#20 date=11/01/03 at 03:26:24]maybe we should have an anarchy in the whole world, proclame free love, wear nothing but flowers, and sing kumbaya[/quote]

Absolutely!

longtimelurker: The Scottish parliament recently introduced a PR system as a trial run (and because the Lib Dems are more powerful up here and it was one of their big issues).

What they did was to stick with the First Past The Post (FPTP) system, but to have a 'second vote' - these were polled together nationwide and then MPs selected from reserve lists depending on how much the second vote count deviated from the first.

It sounds complicated, but actually worked quite well - they do have a much rounder parliament now with a lot more inputs.

dfox7.3x5: Next Tuesday voters in my city will pass judgment on the City Council and School Board. Both groups have made a miserable mess out of things. I didn't vote for one incumbent (these are non-political jobs), as is often the case. But I expect that most of the incumbents will win, as, again, is often the case. This, plus the dismaying circus headed by chief clown GW in Washington, has me very depressed about what's going to happen down the road. I worry especially because I have an 18-year-old grandson heading out into the world next spring. Lord help us.

gigantikok: [quote author=tracksuitboy link=board=meetgreet;num=1067598374;start=0#19 date=11/01/03 at 02:08:40]Gore received 400,000 more votes than Bush (and that is ignoring the debacle of Florida), yet Bush became President.  Some election then.
[/quote]
That is up for debate. We really don't know the facts about the 2000 election. Bush received millions of overseas votes in California that pretty much got thrown out because the state had already been won by Gore. And I'm sure Gore received votes that got thrown out too. So, in all actuality, the "popular vote" total we have is a load of horse shit and we don't really know who got how many votes. Gore could have won over Bush in the popular, but it is just as likely Bush won over Gore in the popular. It was a very close race.

Oh, and Bliss, Libertarians believe the constitution has been warped over the years and that it should be followed the way originally intended. That is, very little involvement between the government and an everyday citizen's life. That is a drastic parallel from the Democratic philosophy that the government should play a more active role in one's life.

I guess I would consider myself Republican. As much as people think I worship Bush, if a Democratic candidate with some actual personality, merit, and intelligence comes around to show him up, it would be a much tougher decision. I just think most of the Democrats running for the presidency for the 2004 election are losers. Maybe I'll vote for Lieberman actually...

aj2181: Well I'm a registered Democrat. (I know big surprise right ;D ).

Its actually kind of funny how that came to be. I was raised in a moderately right wing republican family and I just decided to rebel. (to the extreme iritation of my parents)

I'm not ashamed to say I voted for Gore :)

Didnt think he was the best choice but he wasn't the worst choice.

prepstudinsc: [quote author=aj2181 link=board=meetgreet;num=1067598374;start=20#25 date=11/02/03 at 11:34:14]I'm not ashamed to say I voted for Gore  :)

Didnt think he was the best choice but he wasn't the worst choice.[/quote]

None of the choices were good....it was a question of which one was the best of the worst.

aj2181: [quote author=prepstudinsc link=board=meetgreet;num=1067598374;start=20#26 date=11/02/03 at 11:45:36]

None of the choices were good....it was a question of which one was the best of the worst.
[/quote]

You got that right ;)

gigantikok: [quote author=aj2181 link=board=meetgreet;num=1067598374;start=20#25 date=11/02/03 at 11:34:14]Its actually kind of funny how that came to be. I was raised in a moderately right wing republican family and I just decided to rebel. (to the extreme iritation of my parents) [/quote]
That's actually pretty common. That's how I started out too. Well, until I researched the facts. ;)

J/k AJ, you know I'm just playing around.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
[quote author=da_blissmachine link=board=meetgreet;num=1067598374;start=0#17 date=10/31/03 at 22:33:07]Greens are Dems who vote Republican?  whaaa?[/quote]
Remember Flori-duh? There were several states where neither Bush nor Gore got the majority. Since the Dems pay lip service to the Green line, those Green votes would've gone to Gore if Nader withdrew. He could've even made a deal with Gore.

Reform Party did the same thing in 1992 to Bush Sr.

It's a catch-22: As long as the two-party system exists, third-party candidates won't have a chance. But the only way to be undermine the two-party system is to change election laws, which neither big party will do (for obvious reasons).

Jon (Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.)

da_blissmachine: maybe we were better off under monarchy

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
[quote author=gigantikok link=board=meetgreet;num=1067598374;start=20#24 date=11/01/03 at 21:42:19]
That is up for debate.  We really don't know the facts about the 2000 election.  Bush received millions of overseas votes in California that pretty much got thrown out because the state had already been won by Gore.[/quote]
Lovely overseas places, like Sacramento! Many of them turned out to have voted twice, been in the US on election day, not been registered, etc. Doesn't mean I'm against letting overseas soldiers vote, nor is it a left-wing bias (before you get your knickers in a knot); the dead voted Democrat in the mid-20th century in Chicago.

And I'm sure Gore received votes that got thrown out too.
Including people with the same birthdate or surname as a convicted felon. Talk about guilt by association.

So, in all actuality, the "popular vote" total we have is a load of horse shit and we don't really know who got how many votes.  Gore could have won over Bush in the popular, but it is just as likely Bush won over Gore in the popular.  It was a very close race.
Both at once, in other universes!

Oh, and Bliss, Libertarians believe the constitution has been warped over the years and that it should be followed the way originally intended.  That is, very little involvement between the government and an everyday citizen's life.
Which is why they're pro-eugenics, I'm sure.

da_blissmachine: im still pondering the "Greens are Dems who vote Rep"

due to the Conservatisation of the Democratic party I think Green is now the Dem Party renamed

Dems are just Republican Lite.

Tender: i agree with whoever said the 'best of the worst'.
basically i dont like to say i am of any particular party.
but i'll go with republican for general purpose.

i really only base my vote on whoever has the best pro-life poilicy.

Tender

gigantikok: [quote author=Tender link=board=meetgreet;num=1067598374;start=20#33 date=11/03/03 at 18:03:42]i really only base my vote on whoever has the best pro-life poilicy.

Tender[/quote]
Well, pro-lifers tend to be right of center, so you are really only basing your vote on one side. Not like there's a problem with that, I do the same thing. ;)

da_blissmachine: hmm well in the 2002 MN governor election the Green party (liberal) was the only pro life candidate

gigantikok: Actually, you are right Bliss. There are exceptions.

da_blissmachine: well raal in the US "conservative" is an umbrella term, not an individual party... i know that it was a party somewhere but not sure exactly in what countries

the parties usually thought of as "conservative" are the Republicans, Constitution, and Reform.

gigantikok: ...and Libertarians, which you fail to include in the survey.