Political question for you ladies

atomicTIGER

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Any woman who votes for George McCain just because they are mad that Hillary didn't make it is stupid and should be taken out and shot.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Hey hey now, I never said you have to tell they are women. I also said the other side which would be whatever it is that makes you angry about using the first name (women being lower in the social tier than men). So I said, one, maybe to help glorify the women, or two, to help notify they are women so you don't get to exited about it. Which is the truth? I don't know, thats why I said maybe someone should write an article about it!

But I appreciate being called names, it makes me feel more mature.

Who called you a name? Show me the quote - I'll have a word with him/her for ya.

I don't know whether to be befuddled by or exasperated at your response. If you can't see why both this and the former response are inane then I'm really not sure I can help you.

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Yes - but it isn't just her - people called Cori Aquino 'Cori', Margaret Thatcher 'Margaret' or 'Maggie', Condoleezza Rice is 'Condoleezza' or 'Condi', Benazir Bhutto was 'Benazir', Indira Gandhi was 'Indira', Golda Meir was 'Golda'. And so on. I don't accept that it is to distinguish them from their husbands / fathers - Meir, Thatcher and Rice do not have well known partners / fathers. You say Thatcher and people know you are not talking about Dennis - you say Rice and you know there is only one politician who 'owns' that name with no further qualification.

Hillary Clinton may well have chose 'Hillary' herself - but I think there is at least the possibility that she was smart enough to realise that she was going to be referred to by her first name anyway so why roll with it - use it as 'the personal touch'.

Like I say - OT - just a personal gripe - but not a completely unfounded one.

You say Rice, I think University. Or food. :biggrin1:

I was thinking about this phenomenon recently, the whole thing where women politicians go by first names or at least full names. Interesting.

That said, the senators from my state are both women and are known by their last name. But it may also be because they simply aren't in the lime-light as much, or because their first names are pretty unremarkable.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
The edit you added after I had posted:

Also, its a mans world. We use a mans last name because hey, its always been a mans world, it was always assumed that anybody distinguished for any good reason would be a man.

I see it as like black pride month or mexican pride day. Whte people dont get white pride day, because its a white mans world already. Its a mans world, so figurehead women are identified by thier first names instead, so that you know that a woman has had success in a mans world. I see it as showing thier pride.

But as you see it, its a way to keep women down. So who's right? I don't know.

When did I say it was a 'way of keeping women down'? What kind of a doink do you take me for? Don't put words in my mouth, man, especially not when you don't understand the ones that are actually coming out of it. I merely think it is an unnecessary differentiation. Perhaps a lack of respect, if you pushed me. When Bill Clinton was at the height of his sex scandal he was referred to more of as 'Bill' or by the nickname 'Slick Willy'. When Nixon was at the height of the Watergate affair he was refered to, in certain parts of the press, as 'Dick' more often. In the UK Tony Blair was very often referred to as Tony and he seemed to court that as a 'common man' thing. It seems that the firstname terms thing in politics is half way between familiarity based on the 'friendliness' of the person and on less respect for the person. I honestly don't know what it is with women - do people feel they are more accessible than men? Do people respect them less than men? I don't know - what I dislike is that there is a difference.

As for using Hillary Clinton's firstname being comparable for women as 'black pride day' (does that actually exist??) is for African Americans? Oh pur-fiucking-lease!! :rolleyes:

PA - I'm still doing aren't I? I bet if I started my own thread, tho', it'd peter out in less than a page. Still... :sorry:

SpeedoMike

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
using her first name is pure and simple a marketing decision. "they" know it has a very high recognition value.

as for being taken out and shot... what if candidates weren't identified by parties? You would vote for who you want and if they are out of the race, you vote your second choice. apparently more people vote their conscience and not their party.

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Eh. A lot of people, myself included, call George W. Bush "Dubya", and Rudy Giuliani "Roody" and so forth. Politicians start getting called nicknames and they either let it slide til it goes away or pick it up as a mantra. Hillary would have looked bad if she got all bent out of shape because people were using her first name, so she took it for herself and made it her own. I don't know that there's a lot of choice involved, even if it's the product of sexism.

Look at Obama, too. The American far-Right still calls him "Hussein", for obvious reasons. Dat's politiks.

amygdala

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Anyone, male or female, who voted for Hillary in the primaries but is hesitant about pulling the lever for Obama should re-watch Hillary's convention speech from last night. In no uncertain terms, Hillary made clear that if you supported her, you should vote for Obama. Why? Because it's not about the individual but, rather, the philosophies and policies they both share.

The historic 2008 Democratic primaries were merely a popularity contest. There was practically NO DIFFERENCE between Obama and Clinton in terms of where they want to lead the country. If you're one of those Hillary supporters who can't get behind Obama, ask yourself the same question Hillary posed last night: "Were you in it JUST for [Hillary]?" Or were you behind her because you agreed with the direction she wanted to take the country? Chances are, you supported her because you agreed with her. Well, so does Obama. He just happened to end up with more delegates at the end of the process. That's all.

OBAMA BIDEN '08!!!

Kassokilleri2ff

Experimental Member
Media
Or - to be more blunt - that was a dumbass reply.

Your unnecessary insult.

The edit you added after I had posted:

When did I say it was a 'way of keeping women down'? What kind of a doink do you take me for? Don't put words in my mouth, man, especially not when you don't understand the ones that are actually coming out of it. I merely think it is an unnecessary differentiation. Perhaps a lack of respect, if you pushed me. When Bill Clinton was at the height of his sex scandal he was referred to more of as 'Bill' or by the nickname 'Slick Willy'. When Nixon was at the height of the Watergate affair he was refered to, in certain parts of the press, as 'Dick' more often. In the UK Tony Blair was very often referred to as Tony and he seemed to court that as a 'common man' thing. It seems that the firstname terms thing in politics is half way between familiarity based on the 'friendliness' of the person and on less respect for the person. I honestly don't know what it is with women - do people feel they are more accessible than men? Do people respect them less than men? I don't know - what I dislike is that there is a difference.

As for using Hillary Clinton's firstname being comparable for women as 'black pride day' (does that actually exist??) is for African Americans? Oh pur-fiucking-lease!! :rolleyes:

PA - I'm still doing aren't I? I bet if I started my own thread, tho', it'd peter out in less than a page. Still... :sorry:

You never said it was a way of keeping women down, but obviously you dislike the use of the first name for some reason, whatever negative reasoning you had. What other reason than some sort of disrespect to women would you be mad about? A lack of respect, similar to teaching people to show less respect towards women, or "keeping them down". Similar enough I think. You then said why you think it is unnecessary with examples about bill and jfk and such. Thats good, I was not voting for or against the use of womens first names, just trying to think of why it is that way.

Next,

I did not say for just her, I said for all women figureheads. This is simply an idea of why first names are used instead of last names. I'm not arguing for or against it, just coming up with thoughts. ''Oh pur-fiucking-lease!!'' Is not really a very good counter argument. Something with a little more depth could work, but I figure maybe you simply did not understand my statement.

So all I said were simple ideas for why first names are used for women and not men. Please don't get angry with me and insult me I'm just throwing out ideas.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I'm neither 'angry' nor 'mad' and I am certainly neither at you. I just find your take on the situation a little naive and confused. You are over-reacting to what I brought up as a 'gripe'. It's not something that consumes me at night - the world has far bigger problems to fix. I do dislike seeing groups being treated differently on the basis of sex, race, sexual orientation and so on. This is a minor one, but trust me - if I thought the men were being dissed by not being referred to by their firstnames I would feel equally gripey about it.