Political "Spin"

Mensch1351

Cherished Member
Media
In the only other State that begins with "K"!
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Here we go! In this tremendous age of information technology, I find it almost ludicrous that the American people are frustrated that we are being lied to in many ways from all corners of our political spectrum. Obama makes a speech about American companies being "lazy" in attracting new foreign investors and Romney and Perry come out with ads that say: "The President has called the American PEOPLE lazy!" For those too busy just trying to eak out a living, this type of "half truth" perception is oftentimes believed as pure truth. And Michael Steele (former head of the RNC) on Chris Matthews Hardball just dismisses it as "well, come on -- that's the way politics works -- everybody does it!" Has it ALWAYS been a, "It doesn't have to BE the truth -- it only has to be a perception of the truth," world? Is our politics destined to be ruled by those who are the better liars? If sports games can be won by those who commit the better fouls and not get caught, do the American people have a right to insist that those we elect should AT LEAST have some degree of integrity or have we been reduced to an "anything goes" mentality? I wonder if we could reduce some of this if heavy fines were leveled against those who intentionally deceive the public?

It's almost "funny" that our TV programs are "censored" by a group that deems some content as being "inappropriate" for the masses -- but in our realm of politics we can lie through our teeth and buy as much air time as our pocketbook allows and it airs "freely" for all to see. I know, I know "Caveat Emptor" & "Freedom of speech" --- but it just seems that the system should be changed so that blatant lies carry a rating or are outrightly "banned"!

And........I'll finish with an "old" quote that applies to both the Conservatives AND the Progressives: "Remember -- the DEVIL is a liar!" Your thoughts?

Last edited:

B_chinagirl4u2

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
You get the Government and society you deserve.

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
For as long as I can remember, politics and the truth have been at odds. That's the main reason why I remain an Independent: I can't be a Republican and I won't be a Democrat.

Parties don't represent me, people do. But I gotta say, the last three years are the most untethered from reality that I've ever personally witnessed. The GOP is having a very public nervous breakdown, and it's so very unpretty.

itsthepopei

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
For as long as I can remember, politics and the truth have been at odds. That's the main reason why I remain an Independent: I can't be a Republican and I won't be a Democrat.

Parties don't represent me, people do. But I gotta say, the last three years are the most untethered from reality that I've ever personally witnessed. The GOP is having a very public nervous breakdown, and it's so very unpretty.

totaly agree with that sentiment.

I feel that the gop will eventually come out of this phase of bat-shit-itis but will have sparked a reactionary progressive windfall that will ultimately serve to strengthen us. This has been the model american politics has followed from inception (right wing overreach followed by reforms followed by cutting back and eventual overreach).

Mensch1351

Cherished Member
Media
In the only other State that begins with "K"!
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
.........and yet again: Mitt Romney puts out an ad that has Barak Obama say: "If we keep talking about the economy, we're going to lose." Fact: Obama was quoting John McCain. But the soundbite definitely leaves the impression these were Obama's actual words. Once again -- I don't have to speak the truth, just my particular VERSION of the truth -- even if it's a LIE! Credibility??? Character???? And for those of you who are going to pull the Michael Steele response of, "come'on -- this is politics -- everybody does it!" I'd like specific examples of where the Democrats have intentionally LIED and twisted words.

And if this is what Michael Steele thinks the "stuff" campaigns should be made of ---- woe to the American voter. The 2012 national election should be labeled "SIFTING for the truth!"