Politically correct?

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
How politically correct are you (if at all...)?

How about a few examples of your modern 'sensitivity,' such as...

Instead of saying, "That guy is short and fat. Sick!"

You'd say, "That guy is both vertically and horizontally challenged. Sick!"

Javierdude22: Hm...

Thats econd line to me would be as much as an insult...with sarcasm!

In general I am politically correct, as I dont find any humor in other than averagely figured people, or things they cnt help like not being very smart.

In all honesty, I did find humor in that in my teens...but who didnt...I guess I finally grew up.

However, if someone is a total buttmunch, and just a very unpleasant person to hang around with, ill let them know.

Jav

lacsap1

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Have to look this one up in the dictionary:

1. Of, relating to, or supporting broad social, political, and educational change, especially to redress historical injustices in matters such as race, class, gender, and sexual orientation.
2. Being or perceived as being overconcerned with such change, often to the exclusion of other matters.

So fat = fat and short = short.
I prefer calling things by the correct name.

Inwood: I'm not so much for politically correct as I am for having manners. I tend to watch how I say things not what I say. That said instead of fat I would probably say someone is very large. If they use the word fat to describe themselves it's fine with me.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Erm...I really don't mind if this turns into a serious discussion on a subject that I think is slowly poisoning our society, but what I intended by my post was a tongue-in-cheek way of turning political correctness into a joke.

You have to admit that some of the euphemisms that have taken the place of some very basic descriptive words are rather silly.

Pecker

My sex life is a disaster. Last night the Red Cross showed up with coffee and donuts.

ORCABOMBER: I think the problem is, that people seem to forget what it is about.

Well, unless you really like calling people "niggers, packis" etc. in which case, you don't have my sympathy.

roedhunt: To me, politically correct means not hurting someones feelings. Now, being offended has gotten way overboard. I can't believe how people have used this "I'm offended" crap, then turn around and be just as offensive with others.

For example, I told a dirty joke at my previous job, and a woman was offended by it. 2 minutes later, a man there told a dirtier joke and she laffed her ass off. I came storming out from my cubicle and confronted her. She said she was offended by the fact that a WOMAN told the dirty joke. So I said, "Fine, I'll go complain that NO dirty jokes are to be allowed and that you are discriminating towards me because I'm a woman." She shut up after that.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Actually, PC codes began in academia as a list of 'offensive terms' and 'preferable terms'. It got really silly: Womyn was one of the funnier ones, IMO.

The Right does it too, of course. Reagan was fond of screwing with language, and now Bush has 'freedom fries' and 'homicide bombers'

ORCABOMBER: I think the problem is when it goes way overboard. The local paper has an article about how bad it is to jail women.

So it's alright to jail men, is it?

And don't get me started on race issues..

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Tell me about it: South Dakota isn't even listed as a racist area, even if they did keep a convicted rapist/murderer (whose victim happened to be Indian) governor for over 20 years. Why isn't it considered racist? Because so few of these victimizations are white-on-black. (South Dakota's less than 1% black.) Talk about East Coast-centric!

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
[quote author=Pecker link=board=99;num=1077484082;start=0#6 date=02/23/04 at 05:15:51]Instead of saying, "Wow, he has a big dick!"

You'd say, "Wow, he has a big sperm depositor!"[/quote]

I prefer genitally advantaged!

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
[quote author=DoubleMeatWhopper link=board=99;num=1077484082;start=0#11 date=02/25/04 at 18:12:07]I prefer genitally advantaged![/quote]
I think the technical term would be hyperpenile or megapenile or something like that.

Tender: ok well heres my gripe.
dont get me wrong im not racist or anything like that.
i have two girls from India, i am white.
but why is it that black people are called African Americans while I am just plain white? i mean wouldnt i be called French or Britain American?
after awhile, lets face it, you are either American or African. How can you be African when you have lived here all your life?

ok next i want to know why when i go to my local small town walmart, there are more black, and asian people working in there than we have living in this town in regards to ratio?

if black people are 'equal', which of course they are, then why do we support all this division?
and whats up with Black History Month?
whites don't have a history month?

oh im a little off topic,

as far as politically correctness i dont really worry about it at home as much, but when im out, i watch the way i word things. or at least try to. sometimes i come home with a mouthful of foot...

well i have to run feed my offspring now. (you know the term 'kids' gets offensive by the time they're 4.)

Tender

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
[quote author=jonb link=board=99;num=1077484082;start=0#12 date=02/25/04 at 18:51:06]
I think the technical term would be hyperpenile or megapenile or something like that.[/quote]

Mre often than not, 'technical terms' tend not to be PC. Hyperpenile sounds like something from a science fiction flick.

ORCABOMBER: Tender, you've got some valid points, I think it tends to be taken for granted that "white" people are the "default". In the Western world, and people of other ethnicities tend to either act, or are treated as if they are different from this "default".

I mean, take your example for guys that work at stores. In "corner shops" as we call them in England, a huge majority of the staff are Asian, or from that background at least. Why? Dunno, it's something social-economists can talk about.

An interesting point in Europe is because ex-soviet states are joining the union, people fear they'll be taken their jobs, regardless of the fact that they'll end up in jobs that NO ONE wants to work for. It doesn't stop these "servants" from being treated worse than shit though.

Literally, I would be a better man if I killed someone today than if I was Romanian as far as "they're" concerned.

Which loops back to culture and probably crime as well. I don't act "blatently" black if you want to use all known steortypes. I have history, I have culture, I live in the UK. It's why I have no sympathy for people of ANY colour who start hustling others.

But also, it's why I don't completely agree with the War On Terror as it is, because when we were getting the bejeezus kicked out of us by the Irish, the government did the minimum to restore order, but now that a bunch of "evil Muslim bastards" are kicking the US in the teeth, NOW they decide bombings are bad?

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
[quote author=Tender link=board=99;num=1077484082;start=0#14 date=02/26/04 at 06:47:00]ok well heres my gripe.
dont get me wrong im not racist or anything like that.[/quote]
That's usually not a good start, Tender. I've encountered people who said "I'm not racist" and then insisted that only whites should be allowed to fish on Indian-owned land. LOL Others say it and then argue that a Mohawk shouldn't be allowed into Canada or an O'odham shouldn't be allowed into Mexico. (Of course, whites have no difficulties getting into Canada or Mexico from the US, but Indians do. In case you're wondering why I choose those two, they're right on the US-Canada border.)

i have two girls from India, i am white.
but why is it that black people are called African Americans while I am just plain white? i mean wouldnt i be called French or Britain American?
Actually, many immigrants use the en dash, even in third or fourth generations. Most Africans don't like the term. (It was actually lampooned on SNL when they had this South African actress on.)

after awhile, lets face it, you are either American or African. How can you be African when you have lived here all your life?
Actually, many countries give dual citizenship. Of course, Africa isn't a country, despite what GeeDuhbya might think.

if black people are 'equal', which of course they are, then why do we support all this division?
and whats up with Black History Month?
whites don't have a history month?
No, whites have eleven history months: January, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, and December. LOL Of course, 'black history month' rarely mentions things outside of the civil rights issues. And Africa itself is excluded entirely.

Javierdude22: Im not all too familiar with American History, but the fact that were whites and theyre African Americans might have something to do with the centuries of verbal abuse they had to endure. Blacks, Niggers, etc. I have yet to encounter a white peron that suffered verbal abuse out of this.

Affirmitive action in itsself is ridiculous I think yes. Because there hould be no need to have this law. Unfortunately not everyone has seen the light of non discrimination, so the US (and Holland for that matter) has affirmitive action. Why? Because they simply dont get the fair chance for the same jobs, because they are looked at with prejudice (I caught myself on this as well).

My opinion on this is that the US government installed the affirmitive action law to shut up all non-white and especially black people claiming they were discriminated against. Now, calmly, the culture that actually governs this law, can go on without any obstacles.

An example...if you walk at night through an alley....and see a black man...how much bigger would be the chance that you turn around/get scared/get out mace....than if it were a white guy?