Politically correct?

Tender: jonb
you brought out some great points.

we can both fish, but you can't go first unless an asian and a mexican fished before me!
na na na na na na
:D

now, for the dark alley mace Question.
dunno.
but chances are --in the dark, strange man, me only 5 foot 110lbs. hmm.
wouldnt care if he were black, white or purple, I'd be runnin!

Tender

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
[quote author=Javierdude24 link=board=99;num=1077484082;start=0#19 date=02/26/04 at 13:43:16]An example...if you walk at night through an alley....and see a black man...how much bigger would be the chance that you turn around/get scared/get out mace....than if it were a white guy?[/quote]

An alley? At night?

I don't expect that anybody I meet there is going to be Al Sharpton! :D

Pecker

There are two kinds of pedestrians - the quick, and the dead.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Yeah, but I grew up in South Dakota, so I've seen a lot of the 'we're not racist' types. Hell, about a year ago, Bush stopped an irrigation ditch to Pine Ridge just a few days before it was complete. :(

roedhunt: Being raised in Rapid City, S.D. in the 60s and 70s, if a black family moved into the neighborhood... no problem. But an Indian family? ? ? Oh my! Noooo. I was very fortunate to be raised by a father who was very NONPREDIUCE. Both my sister and me had best friends who just happened to be Indian. I hung out with her and her friends in the neighborhood made "just for Indians"...  :mad: It was a real eye-opener to see the way they were treated by other nationalities. My "white" friends criticized them for ALL being drunks. Little did they know, my "Indian" friends hated the few Indian drunks there was too. I put quotations around these nationalities, because I ONLY classify by nationality when there is a valid reason.

One thing I learned by living or visiting different states, in each place there is prejudice of a different nationality. In Florida, it’s Cuban. In S.D., it’s Indian, in Tennessee, it’s Black. And in the eastern states, it’s Irish. And in Arizona (where I'm living now) it’s Mexican. Now most who live here are not originally FROM here, so they are not against them. But, the ones who are, ARE....

So, because of this, and the fact we are close to the border, they have several laws now that protect Mexicans. That is great, however, there are some who think it goes overboard. Especially illegal aliens. Did you know that if a Mexican crosses the border illegally, they get FREE medical???? <sigh>... And a lot of businesses here hire ONLY illegal aliens and qualified Arizonians are out of jobs because of this. My friends, who are Mexicans that were born here, even complain. Also because the ones from Mexico do not speak English and get their jobs as well. I hear them all the time say, "You're in America now, speak FUCKING English!!!”

So there you go. What do we do? Change people's mind? How? They were taught by their parents and their friends.. That's all they have known. Do we fault them because they have not been shown a different way? Or do we pity them for their ignorance?

Hmmmm.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
What's bad is, SD was always considered one of the least-racist states. Why? Because the whole PC movement takes an East Coast-centric view of race relations, so Indians aren't factored in because it's a black and white issue. *ba-rump-bump*

I could do a whole rant about Janklow; let's just say electing a rapist murderer governor and later congressman on the promise that he'll incarcerate all Indians is not exactly a sign of antiracism. Nor is saying that Indians who voted must've done it several times over.

You're right that the protections for illegal immigrants are too extreme; if you came here illegally, you should be deported. While we're here, we should make it illegal to close factories here and then open them in Mexico too. OTOH, I don't say (as some have on one forum that I frequent) that Mexicans 'file nine dependents on their 1040 and take their twelve kids down to the free clinic'. LOL

ORCABOMBER: Yeah, I know that feeling in the UK..
http://maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=walmart
Has an excellent article on the topic, I think it probably sums up the attitude that corporations (and the governments they control) have with illegal immigrants.

I mean, only recently about 50 or so Chinease may have drowned fishing for cockles in the UK, but instead of moaning about the people who hire them, the press ganged up on the Triads who export them.

Heck, they're practically untouchable anyway, but "Muslim terrorists" however...

Aren't I glad I'm a f-ed up genetic mix!

str8_nnj: There were a few people who are white who immigrated from Africa who wanted to be known as
African-Americans. It didn't fly.
Tender, it all depends on what people "feel" on any given day.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
[quote author=str8_nnj link=board=99;num=1077484082;start=20#27 date=03/07/04 at 16:07:31]There were a few people who are white who immigrated from Africa who wanted to be known as
African-Americans. It didn't fly.
Tender, it all depends on what people "feel" on any given day.[/quote]
The ketchup lady's one of them, actually.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
During the Oscars last week, wasn't it Billy Crystal who remarked that Charlise Theron was the second African-American woman to win Best Actress?

:D