Politicians are talking bullshit, part one

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Penis Aficionado, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Penis Aficionado

Gold Member

After watching most of the two conventions, I have come to the conclusion that these politicians are all pretty much talking out their ass. I have about 100 examples, but here's the first one.

Obama and McCain both talk about "job training" so that people from the old, long-gone manufacturing economy can get jobs in the new information/technology economy.

Now, what kind of "training" would be necessary to enable an unemployed coal miner or textile mill worker to start writing computer programs or maintaining networks or creating websites?

The only "training" I know of fitting that description would be a college degree in computer science, information technology, graphic design, etc. Or at the very least an associate's degree from a community college.

And while I haven't checked up on all the details, somehow I don't believe that any "job training program" is going to support these workers and their families while they take two, three, four years to earn degrees and make themselves viable in the new economy.

So, when politicians talk about training workers for the jobs of today, I suspect they really mean some kind of counseling to help workers adjust to the new reality: instead of earning a decent living for their families through grueling but dignified labor, from now on they will just scrape by, stocking Wal-Mart shelves while getting chewed out by some 20-year-old Korean kid, who probably is getting a college degree on the government dime.

2. sargon20

Gold Member

Don't blame the politicians. Bullshit sells. It sells well. Can you blame the seller for a crappy product? Or the consumer that comes back year after year for the same crap? Blame the electorate. They are beyond reason.

Fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on you. Or George Bush's version

#2 sargon20, Sep 6, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  3. ripsrips

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Too bad I can only dream of having term limits for congressmen and senators. If that would happen...things would get done!

4. D_Davy_Downspout

D_Davy_Downspout Account Disabled

Republicans actually took over congress on a platform of term limits. Remember the Contract With America? As soon as they got in, they said "ooh I like it here" and never did anything about it.

5. whatireallywant

Gold Member

Hey what about job training so that those of us formerly IN the IT field can get BACK into it?! I used to write computer programs but now I run into the same old thing - my skill level isn't high enough, and I only know one programming language, and only one operating system. I'd like to get more training in other programming languages, as well as more advanced training in the one I do know, training in Unix, as well as training to maintain networks and develop web sites.

Besides, while there are jobs in IT, they are exceedingly specialized, and if you don't have the EXACT combination of 10-12 technologies that the employers are looking for, forget about getting a job.

I'd say that maybe in addition to training in IT (and include hands-on actual work training in that too! Classroom training only doesn't cut it with employers!), people should be able to get more training to become teachers or work in medical jobs (nurses, radiologists, etc. etc...), since those jobs are more recession-proof and unlikely (and in many cases, unable!) to be outsourced overseas. However, since those jobs involve contact with specific, sometimes difficult groups of people (children and sick people) the people getting the training do need to be able to deal with, in the case of teachers, children, and in the case of medical workers, sick people. Not everyone is cut out for that kind of work (I know I'm definitely NOT!)

As for politicians talking bullshit, so, what ELSE is new? It IS politics, after all. :biggrin1:

6. Penis Aficionado

Gold Member

That's an excellent point. I went through something similar: in 2001 I was making really good money designing and editing websites, but then the company I worked for got sold and the whole web division got laid off. I decided to take a couple years off and go back to grad school (not in anything related to computers.) When I started jobhunting again in 2003 the new media world had competely passed me by. Companies mostly wanted people with deep backgrounds in computer science, who could program in multiple languages as well as doing some Flash and Photoshop. If you only did Flash and Photoshop, you had to be super, super-skilled.

7. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    You've clearly never heard of the Contract with America that many, many GOP congresscritters signed onto in 1994 when the Repubs became the majority party. In fact, they pledged it to be their credo if they were elected (and they were).

Terms limits, tax reform and balanced budgets were among the many promises those GOP zealots failed to live up to.

So stop dreaming and start reading.

8. canuck_pa

Gold Member

I've never met a politician I would trust and I don't believe a word they say.

They lie to get elected and their main job while in office is to raise money for their re-election.

Of course I can only speak of Canadian politicians but I doubt its any different in other countries.

9. Penis Aficionado

Gold Member

Here's another example of mindblowing bullshit:

John McCain says that he will give me a $2500 a year "tax credit" to pay for my own health insurance. Gee, thanks John! There's just one little problem -- my health insurance, if it weren't largely covered by my employer, would cost about $4500 per year! And I work for the state, which I assume gets a really good deal from Blue Cross Blue Shield.

And if I had a wife and kids to cover on my policy, he'd give me a $5000 tax credit. But guess what -- I checked, and covering a wife and kids doesn't double the cost of my insurance, it more than triples it!

Now maybe the press just isn't reporting John McCain's health plan in all its exquisite detail. But if the plan were so great, I'd think McCain would be out there every day saying, "Hey, if you vote for me, I'll give you enough money to buy your own health insurance, so you won't have to be tied to your job in order to stay covered!"

Instead, he rarely talks about it, and when he does he refers to "tax credits" and "healthcare savings accounts."

Somehow I expect that under McCain's plan I'll end up paying more for health insurance than I do now, under our current fucked-up system.

And I haven't heard him explain how he's going to guarantee that all the money employers save, because they don't have to subsidize workers' insurance anymore, will get passed on to those workers in the form of higher wages.

10. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

And even worse... the "tax credit" does nothing at all to address the REAL problem, which is not cost, but the fact that, thanks to de-regulation, it is becoming increasingly hard to even GET insurance.

Tax credits do no good at all when you can't even get coverage because you actually have an illness.

All we need is a "NO ONE REFUSED COVERAGE" law.

IF that were the law... then insurance companies would spend millions to convince Senators that we need national coverage.

And we would get it.

11. Penis Aficionado

Gold Member

But in addition to saying that private insurers can't refuse to cover anyone, the law would also have to set price caps, or the insurers would just set fantastically high copays and deductibles that they knew people could not afford.

Would that be constitutional, for the government to require a private business to serve any customers that come to it, and to set parameters on the prices that business can charge? (That's not a rhetorical question -- I really don't know the answer.)

Draft saved Draft deleted