Politics ever affect your love life?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by D_BarryBunwarmer, Nov 7, 2008.

1. D_BarryBunwarmer

D_BarryBunwarmer Account Disabled

I swear to God, I am done with Republicans. I tried it. I couldn't do it.

I met this, what I thought to be, great guy. He was hot, successful, nice...he was perfect. Until he saw me wearing a Barack Obama pin. Then he starts in with "He wasn't born in America. He faked his birth certificate. There are experts online who say so!" And then he starts going off on how Obama hates freedom because he wants to pull out of Iraq and that nobody who doesn't have family fighting in Iraq is for freedom. So then I'm like "Oh yeah, I know nothing about the military. I'm stupid" and then he said "You said it, not me"

It was SO OVER after that. But the argument continued. I told him I have a cousin who is in the military and he said "Yeah, I doubt it." So yea, he just called me a fucking liar.

And this all happened about 20min ago. I'm writing about it because I can't sleep because I'm too pissed off.

So then he wants to know why I'm angry. And I say "Because you just called me stupid and a liar" and he says "No I didn't"

So I ended it by saying "You know what? I'm happy that I helped elect a black, non-American, muslim terrorist and his white people hating black wife."

2. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Sorry to hear that.
    Some people just can't let go of their own fears and ignorance. You're better off without him. If he's willing to badmouth you just for wearing an Obama pin, then deny that he's putting you down for your beliefs, then he's not worth the effort.

3. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

I'm sorry you had this experience. :(

Politics hasn't been an issues in my love life because I've been lucky enough not to find someone wacky, and all of my partners and I have shared a basic respect and tolerance for differing opinions. Plus, I love a good political debate followed by some lovin'.

4. whatireallywant

Gold Member

I'm very different. I have had situations (although maybe not to the degree of the OP's) similar to the OP. I've grown up surrounded by people on the other end of the spectrum and they have often treated me with open hostility.

So yes, it is very important for me to find someone who agrees with my views. Plus I HATE arguing politics, and it would totally kill my mood - and I have a very high sex drive normally! But I've had precedent with this before. One guy I dated had a major disagreement about probably THE most important issue to me, and totally killed my sex drive for quite some time. I broke up with him and didn't even want to date for several years after that! Because I was afraid that anyone else would feel the same way HE did and not the way I do. I finally did date again, and this time the guy felt similar enough about that issue. But I had to go to the city to meet someone like that. They didn't really exist where I grew up.

5. D_BarryBunwarmer

D_BarryBunwarmer Account Disabled

In the beginning when he started going off on Obama, I could kinda brush it off like "ok he has a different viewpoint" but when he started calling me stupid and saying that I don't have a cousin in the military after I told him I did, that was just insulting and killed any positive feeling I had toward him.

And then I told him my grandpa served in WWII and he was a democrat and he thought I was lying about that. Because you know...nobody who is in the military could possibly be a Democrat.

Draft saved Draft deleted