Poll: Ethnicity And Circ Status

Men, what is your ethnicity and circumcision status?

• White American/Cut

Votes: 138 26.3%
  • White American/Uncut

Votes: 60 11.5%
  • White Euro/Cut

Votes: 49 9.4%
  • White Euro/Uncut

Votes: 104 19.8%
  • Latin American/Cut

Votes: 25 4.8%
  • Latin American/Uncut

Votes: 45 8.6%
  • Black American/Cut

Votes: 25 4.8%
  • Black American/Uncut

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Black non-American/Cut

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • Black non-American/Uncut

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • East Asian/Cut

Votes: 18 3.4%
  • East Asian/Uncut

Votes: 15 2.9%
  • South Asian/Cut

Votes: 14 2.7%
  • South Asian/Uncut

Votes: 14 2.7%

• Total voters

Sirkumsised

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You can elaborate more in comments
I hated my foreskin as a boy from the age of 6 when my kid brother was circumcised. I then discovered that my dad and my best friends were also circumcised. I was embarrassed about having a foreskin, especially after an American girlfriend laughed at it, but chickened out of being cut until I was 22 and.my wife encouraged me to be circumcised. Within 2 weeks of the minor op (done one lunch hour) we were both very happy about my circumcision. I would encourage any uncut guy to go for it.

kato_boi

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'd disagree. I'm canadian and dating an american. And have lived in both countries. There are a LOT of differences once you scratch beyond the superficially similar surface. Also circumcision is much less common in canada .
Hmm I disagree with you. The saying that Canada is the 51st state isn't just a joke; there's a lot of truth to it. Sure, maybe Quebecois and Newfoundlanders are visibly different from Americans, but once you get into Ontario/Manitoba/Saskatchewan you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. Likewise circ rates there are much closer to American rates.

Put this another way: which country on earth is most similar to Canada? The obvious answer is not the UK or NZ, it's the USA. It might be tough for Canadians to admit but they really have more in common with Americans than they would like to realize...

kato_boi

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I’m new here but I wonder - are white American uncut guys overrepresented on lpsg? At the moment the poll suggests only 55% of white Americans are cut, but in my experience it’s much higher?
I think your observation is spot on. It has certainly been lauded to on here previously that uncut white Americans are, in fact, more common on here. I was expecting a statistically accurate 70/30 split for cut/uncut among that demographic. I could say I'm also surprised at white euro cut and Latin American cut being so high.

jamesonmtl

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Hmm I disagree with you. The saying that Canada is the 51st state isn't just a joke; there's a lot of truth to it. Sure, maybe Quebecois and Newfoundlanders are visibly different from Americans, but once you get into Ontario/Manitoba/Saskatchewan you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. Likewise circ rates there are much closer to American rates.

Put this another way: which country on earth is most similar to Canada? The obvious answer is not the UK or NZ, it's the USA. It might be tough for Canadians to admit but they really have more in common with Americans than they would like to realize...
I've lived in multiple provinces including Ontario and Quebec, ive also lived in 3 states. I can tell you that those similarities are superficial, and culturally Canadians are actually quite different. No the circumcision rates are quite a bit lower in Canada, even in Ontario/manitoba/Saskatchewan , it's less than 45% in those provinces, alberta has the highest rate in the country at 44% (compare that to 87% in WV) and arguably Alberta shares the most culturally and ideologically with the US, but alberta is just a small part of a large amd diverse country. It's one thing to travel to a country to see it as a tourist and find it similar to your own, but once you have LIVED in that other country you'll start to see the fundamental differences in ideology, governance and behaviour. While ontario, michigan and indiana may seem similar on the surface, I would MUCH rather live in ontario for cultural, economic and political reasons. Having lived in both rural Ontario and rural Indiana I can tell you they're quite different. My partner is American and has now spent much time with me in Canada, he's now in the process of moving here. He also was struck by the superficial similarities, only to be later baffled by some of the ideas and behaviors that are downright foreign to him. Canada, USA, Australia, NZ all share a colonial history and all have a lot of similarities, Canada and USA also share a continent, but to say they're essentially the exact same is a pretty narrow view.

ottosafado

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Brazilian (italian and portuguese acestry) guy uncut here!
I only know about the paternal family. dad and uncle are cut. me and my grandfather uncut. I don't have brother or cousin (paternal family).
I visited the doctor, when was 12 or 13, because when I was child my foreskin was tight, but I already had enlarged my foreskin with manual exercises and I didn't have to cut.

Reactions: B_er and bor14
D

deleted1846971

Black American here. Cut at birth. My brothers and Dad are all cut as well. It’s just the expected thing to do.

Reactions: cali06 and orangeC
S

SirConcis

I've lived in multiple provinces including Ontario and Quebec, ive also lived in 3 states. I can tell you that those similarities are superficial, and culturally Canadians are actually quite different. No the circumcision rates are quite a bit lower in Canada, even in Ontario/manitoba/Saskatchewan , it's less than 45% in those provinces, alberta has the highest rate in the country .

Beware of statistics. Found a great PDF n Ontario health system surgerys by region within Ontario, and had a section on circumcision. Showed rates as low as 6% in Kingston, and as high as 46% in Lodon and I think Ottawa was at 44%, Toronto at 22% etc. HIOWEVER, reading the fine print is important: The statistics only included circumcision on babies done at same stay as birth. So parents getting baby born, and going to a clinic to get sone done a few days later wasn't included. This starts to matter when the health insurance no longer covers circ and parents can get their boy snipped for much cheaper at a clinic vs going back to hospital a few days later and paying higher rate. Also much easier to just to go nearby clinic than to go back to a hoispital where it takes longer etc.

In days when mothers stayed in hospitals longer after birth, it made sense to get boy done at same time. But as they discharge mothers earlier now, it has changed how boys get done. So it becomes much harder to get realistic sattistics. You need to wait 18 years to see how the fresh crop of young adulst (no hair on chest yet) look like to see what the circ rate was 18 years before.

In montreal for instance, late 1990s/early 1980s you got to see the new "uncut generation" in locker rooms all sporting long foreskins. It was easy to guess: if no hair on chest, then there was a foreskin on dick. Now of course, that generation has reached late 40s so you there is no longer a demarcation between generation that are and aren't cut. (though prior to 1980, the circ rate in Québec was already near 50% in Montréal).

A pediatrician who get to see many patients woudl have a good idea though of circ rate in society. But that would be anectotal, not "statistics".

jamesonmtl

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Beware of statistics. Found a great PDF n Ontario health system surgerys by region within Ontario, and had a section on circumcision. Showed rates as low as 6% in Kingston, and as high as 46% in Lodon and I think Ottawa was at 44%, Toronto at 22% etc. HIOWEVER, reading the fine print is important: The statistics only included circumcision on babies done at same stay as birth. So parents getting baby born, and going to a clinic to get sone done a few days later wasn't included. This starts to matter when the health insurance no longer covers circ and parents can get their boy snipped for much cheaper at a clinic vs going back to hospital a few days later and paying higher rate. Also much easier to just to go nearby clinic than to go back to a hoispital where it takes longer etc.

In days when mothers stayed in hospitals longer after birth, it made sense to get boy done at same time. But as they discharge mothers earlier now, it has changed how boys get done. So it becomes much harder to get realistic sattistics. You need to wait 18 years to see how the fresh crop of young adulst (no hair on chest yet) look like to see what the circ rate was 18 years before.

In montreal for instance, late 1990s/early 1980s you got to see the new "uncut generation" in locker rooms all sporting long foreskins. It was easy to guess: if no hair on chest, then there was a foreskin on dick. Now of course, that generation has reached late 40s so you there is no longer a demarcation between generation that are and aren't cut. (though prior to 1980, the circ rate in Québec was already near 50% in Montréal).

A pediatrician who get to see many patients woudl have a good idea though of circ rate in society. But that would be anectotal, not "statistics".

This is all Highly Anecdotal, but as a gay guy currently living in Montreal, what you say is very accurate for this city. Very few guys my age (37) are circumcised in Montreal (One only needs to poke around and ask men on grindr to start getting an idea of prevalence ). Circumcision seems generally unpopular and mainly confined to the anglophone (still a minority of them are cut but it seems close to 50/50), jewish and muslim communities. My experiences living in Ontario were in the Toronto area and central/northern ontario, the rates of what I saw there was about 50/50, maybe a bit less in Toronto, but a bit more common in Rural areas. When I lived in Indiana and Missouri foreskin seemed basically non existant and it wasn't uncommon for gay guys to say they had never seen uncut white guy ever. My current BF who is from Florida has never seen an uncut whote guy from Florida. I'd say there seems to be a definite difference in prevalence between the two countries both from my.own anecdotal personal experience and in the official data. I think the removal of circumcision from insurance and the switch to private clinics happened after my cohort. So yeah, i don't disagree with you, the prevalence at adulthood probably is a bit higher in young adults than data would suggest and this discrepancy is likely to grow. I don't think private clinics are going to stop the decline of the procedure in Canada though.

kato_boi

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
This is all Highly Anecdotal, but as a gay guy currently living in Montreal, what you say is very accurate for this city. Very few guys my age (37) are circumcised in Montreal (One only needs to poke around and ask men on grindr to start getting an idea of prevalence ). Circumcision seems generally unpopular and mainly confined to the anglophone (still a minority of them are cut but it seems close to 50/50), jewish and muslim communities. My experiences living in Ontario were in the Toronto area and central/northern ontario, the rates of what I saw there was about 50/50, maybe a bit less in Toronto, but a bit more common in Rural areas. When I lived in Indiana and Missouri foreskin seemed basically non existant and it wasn't uncommon for gay guys to say they had never seen uncut white guy ever. My current BF who is from Florida has never seen an uncut whote guy from Florida. I'd say there seems to be a definite difference in prevalence between the two countries both from my.own anecdotal personal experience and in the official data. I think the removal of circumcision from insurance and the switch to private clinics happened after my cohort. So yeah, i don't disagree with you, the prevalence at adulthood probably is a bit higher in young adults than data would suggest and this discrepancy is likely to grow. I don't think private clinics are going to stop the decline of the procedure in Canada though.

Missouri and Indiana are both in the Midwest which always had and continues to have the highest circumcision rate in the US, probably upwards of 90% if we exclude Latinos of which there are few in the Midwest, relative to the rest of the country

Reactions: ChuChiPapi