POLL: Gallery ratings

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by novice_btm, Mar 18, 2007.

?

Should those without galleries be allow to rate galleries?

1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    52.9%
  2. No

16 vote(s)
    47.1%
  1. novice_btm

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Should people without galleries be allowed to rate the galleries of others?

I'm lucky to have very kindly given high scores, generally, and am of the thought that if someone has the courage to post a pic, then I give it a "10" if I like it, a "1" if it's a fake, and otherwise move on if it's not my preference ('If you can't say something nice...'). In general, I don't really get that worked up about the scoring, aside from being very flattered when people like my pix. I know that I'm not to everyone's taste, but I've noticed that all of my lower scores come from people with NO galleries themselves. It's not that I would go in, and vindictively score them low as well, but it just seems a bit unfair, a somewhat cowardly, and judgemental that people who don't put themselves out there get to sit back and, well, judge others.

P.S. To be fair, I've also gotten "10"s from people with no galleries, but still.

2. novice_btm

Albums:
    Oh, and "Why?", whether it be "yes", or "no". There are no "right" or "wrong" answers. I'm just curious what people think about it.

3. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I kind of agree with you on that one... I don't rate pictures unless I'm going to rate them a 10. I mean, I know it's supposed to be open to any and all ratings, but I don't have the guts to rate a guys pic a 5 just because he's not my taste. But... I think if someone is going to be rating pics, they should have pics too!

4. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

.Yes i agree too. If i rate a pic i give it a 10. We are dealing with the naked pics of someone and i think we should go easy. I also dont comment if i really dont know the person too well and just rate it. If the man is straight or i don't know the woman i wont make a sexual comment and just rate it. I amazed at how cruel some people can be to oneanother. People have been wonderfull to me here and i have no complaints in that regard. Some of this comes back to the old T word. Troll:smile: :cool: Yes if people dont post pics they shouldnt be allowed to comment or even be let in the gallery. Only my opinion Meg and Novice your pics are wonderful. I have been to see them many a time. Two sexy people!

5. lilpeewee

lilpeewee Member

I have no problem if ppl don't look but when ppl look and no ratings or comments then i start to get worried lol

6. D_Roland_D_Hay

D_Roland_D_Hay Account Disabled

I agree with you guys...and I will leave it at that.

7. rubberwilli

rubberwilli Member

Albums:
    I'm on another site (actually a series of about 32 linked sites) where the debate about ratings has been going on for over a year now. They installed a rating system for profiles and then all of a sudden it became a populatiry contest wioth people trying to create dummy profiles to rate themselves. Granted the list the top 100 rated profile, pictures etc... there the biggest issue is a that a person with no picture or profile text can rate you a 1 and suddenly you've dropped from a perfect 10 down to a 7, or something like that. It's really preposterous.

I'm not much for ratings for ratings only uses. I'll rate a 10 if I like it and want someone to know that I like it...grin...and that's about it. If you can't say someting nice, don't say anything at all. It might not always be my cup of cock shot, but it is for someone.

But I do believe that if ratings are going to exist you have to be willing to put your image out there to be rated as well. It's not right to rate someone, especially to rate someone low, and not be willing to face the same thing. Very cowardly I think.

8. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

I don't spend much time looking at the galleries, and when I do, I'm not likely to rate them. If I did, though, I would rate them honestly. Keep in mind that (not to agree with a recently-banned troll) but some photos are more flattering than others.

If I liked most of what I saw in a gallery, I would be more likely to rate them. I guess what I'm saying is, I would be more likely to rate several of a member's photos, and probably submit comments on why I liked one photo better than another.

That being said, I do agree that if you don't like anything in the gallery, it is best to move on, and not give low ratings simply because the model is a blonde and you prefer brunettes, or because the model is thin and you prefer "meatier".

It might be something to strongly consider, to only allow those with self-photos to rate or comment. That might help to minimize the "largelarry" syndrome.

9. B_big dirigible

B_big dirigible New Member

I don't really see why there's a numerical rating system at all. On some sites there are double-ended contests, for photos to be rated either very high or very low. Rate-a-Rear comes to mind - if you can't make it to the top in the Hall of Fame, you can maybe excel at the other end and get to the bottom of the Hall of Shame. When posters deliberately put up the absolute worst they can manage, things get pretty rude. We don't have that at LPSG (thank gawd), at least at the moment. So here, the numbers don't really have a function.

So, I doubt that it would hurt anything much if nobody could leave numbers, neither those with their own galleries, nor those without.

Comments are a different matter.

I've only left a few, myself. I left one for a photo of an appendage which looked remarkably like mine, so much that it looked like the guy was my evil twin (or I his), so I said as much, while gratuitously disparaging his shirt for a bit of levity. Another had a particularly artistic shadow effect, with some blinds projected onto a wide-angle shot of a butt, and, as I have a well-known weakness for chiaroscuro, I commented on that. Another was a single huge standout in a series of a dozen shots, which was so much better, artistically, than the others that I thought it worth a comment (no, I did not write "missy, your other photos show way too much and look like crap compared to this one"). Now in all those cases I had to leave a rating with the commment. (I just assumed that a number had to be left or the software wouldn't accept the comment, but I didn't test to see if that's actually the case.) If it's worth a comment, I figure it's also worth a 10.

But again, the number isn't an important adjunct to the comment. I thought the 10 ratings would make up for my mild insult about the shirt, and my comment about wide-angle optics in the shadowed butt shot, but I wouldn't make such comments again, as those sorts of things are too easily misinterpreted.

I've been looking at the count of views in my gallery, rather than comments or number rating. I have to admit that the popularity of some photos as evaluated by number of views is not what I would have expected. Interesting.

10. 36DD

Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't have any pics posted, but I still rate galleries. I only rate if I have something nice to say, besides isn't it your choice to post pics or not? I would hope anyone commenting on someone's gallery would take into consideration the effects negative comments might have on some.

11. agnslz

Gold Member

Why not just keep us from the gallery entirely.

12. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

I know this suggestion will be greeted with shrieks of horror, but why have galleries at all? Between the fakers and the 0-scorers, they seem more trouble than they're worth. Except for drawing paying customers, of course :wink:

13. B_cigarbabe

B_cigarbabe New Member

It does seem to be those without pix, and profile information who, routinely
    leave disparaging remarks in the gallery.
    And if you can view the pictures why not take the time to leave a quick rating? After all, you spend time to check them out, so, leave a little something for the owner to know you've enjoyed their photos!
    Cigarbabe:saevil:

14. giantsfrey

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    i say yes because i don't care if the people rating and commenting on my pictures have pics of their own. i just want to know what people think of my stuff

15. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

This might be a fine and well question... but will it go anywhere, and... is it even an option to disallow people not to use certain options.... do you realize how much more work you would be creating for someone else... The mods do enough work cleaning up this place, and the all ever fun banning and tracking of people... lets get real here... no on has time to (like I said if it is vbulletin option to have certain members not rate things at all) to click and unclick everyone who has a gallery... it would just create more hassle.

16. novice_btm

Albums:
    Um, it was just a question, with a poll to visually guage sentiment.

I don't even know that it's technically possible with this software. I mean, I know that other boards have conditional restrictions (like not seeing large images, if you're not a member HERE), but I wasn't really even proposing that. And no, sifting through members for this, definitely wouldn't be something that I'd ever expect the Mods to do, or even something that I think should happen. Again, before I'm told to "get real"... it was JUST a question. I would think after your little adventure with Larry, that you'd at least have a general idea of where I'm coming from with this.

17. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

Who's Larry?

18. novice_btm

Albums:
  19. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

20. novice_btm

Albums:
    Yes, true, it was more of a undeserved BErating of your sexy gallery.

Draft saved Draft deleted