Poll: Majority Thinks One-Party Dem Rule Will Be Good For Country

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Thanks for the 30 page document.
I'm not sure what your point is. I guess that Bush accomplished a "Veto" without using one. They are not the same.

However, nothing you have written makes Phil's statement true.

Agreed. Phil's claim is demonstrably false. Your rebuttal, though, was incomplete because it seriously underrepresents the extent to which George W. Bush undermines the legislative process.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I know the difference between fact and opinion. If this is the first time you've noticed, you haven't been paying attention.

Pitbull

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Agreed. Phil's claim is demonstrably false. Your rebuttal, though, was incomplete because it seriously underrepresents the extent to which George W. Bush undermines the legislative process.

The moon is full?
Mindseye agrees?

Sorry I didn't write a thesis.
I would disagree about Bush.
Bush did not undermine the legislative process.
The process is what it is and
he used it in many cases to get his way on some matters, as presidents do.
The process is what it is - which is seriously flawed!
Filibusters
Filibusters that aren't filibusters (In the traditional sense of round the clock sessions)
Filibusters without 60 votes.
Laws that get so crammed with pork
Vetoes
Signing statement (not a Bush invention - as you pointed out used before - first by Andrew Jackson)
etc. etc. etc.

Congress uses (abuses) the system to get what they want more than the president does.

All part of the process.

Do I like it? No.
It would be nice if the process could be reformed but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:

B_Morning_Glory

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I guess the myth that the American People are afraid of having one party control the Presidency and Congress has been proven false:

TPM Election Central | Talking Points Memo | Poll: Majority Thinks One-Party Dem Rule Will Be Good For Country

In the closing days of the campaign, lots and lots of Repubs sounded dire warnings about the liberal stranglehold one-party Dem rule would put on Washington. But it turns out that a solid majority of voters rather likes the idea:
In the CNN/Opinion Research Corp. survey released Tuesday, 59 percent of those questioned said Democratic control of both the executive and legislative branches will be good for the country, compared with 38 percent saying such one-party control will be bad.
Obviously Dems are enjoying the fruits of the GOP's badly damaged brand here. More broadly, though, it suggests that Dems have a big opportunity.
The public is not prejudiced against the idea of one-party rule. They want successful rule, not empty pundit-approved gestures of "bi-partisanship" for its own sake. If the next two or four years are judged at the very least a modest success, and the public concludes that one-party Dem rule has been far more effective than the disastrous six years of one-party GOP rule have been, then the possibility of an enduring Dem majority looks more likely.

i hope they can keep it as well as it will most likely take 4 yrs. to even notice an improvement after the 8 yrs, of bush an co, and thats if nothing else bad happens. then if they can keep it another 4 yrs,[ DEM'S] we mite be on a some what easy street again . but with such a mess left to the Democrats by the reps, it is going to be rough know matter what happens. but if it holds like the past it will only be like this for the first 4 yrs, then it will change. and usually for the worst to [ more reps.] but some how i dought it happens after this republican administrations screw ups , this election clearly showed the majority are tired of the republican bs. even a lot of die hard reps, didn't vote republican this time. thats a good way to tell its bad LOL. it finaly hurt their pocket book for once.

D

deleted15807

He's repeated the same lie over and over and over and over that Democrats tried to kill an economic reform package two years ago, despite the lie having been disproven via links to the actual congressional record.

The French have a wonderful phrase for guys like him, pet de lapin, which literally means "rabbit fart": He's lightweight and without substance, unable to demonstrate a serious grasp of any real issues, clinging to disproven talking points, with the barest command of written English, and using puerile comebacks to make up for his lack of mental ammo.

Once I gave up trying to take him seriously, it struck me when HazelGod called him an "assclown" just how appropriate that name is: both an ass, and a clown, all wrapped up into one.
Yep facts just don't matter. Al Gore had it right 'The Assault on Reason'. Anything that doesn't align with the ideology is simply dismissed as the work of 'liberals'. And scientists are all liberals.

Palin kept on repeating the lie that she said 'No' to the bridge to nowhere even after it was proven she actually said 'Yes'. She said it in campaign stop after campaign stop and the crowd ate it up.

D

deleted15807

When you find a lie the people like, stay the course!

And the infamous bridge
What kind of person tells a self-aggrandizing lie, gets called on it, admits publicly that the truth is not at all what she originally claimed -- and then goes out and starts telling the original lie again without changing a word?

One deeply troubling thing we're learning about Palin is that, as far as she's concerned, unambiguous fact doesn't appear to rise even to the level of inconvenience.

Running on a Lie

Facts just don't matter.

Last edited by a moderator: