Poll: Ratings system in the photo gallery

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I was thinking to myself tonight that the ratings system in the gallery might discourage some members from posting their photos. On the other hand, maybe a lot of members enjoy the friendly competition that goes along with the ratings system. What do you think?

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Originally posted by MisterMark@Dec 29 2004, 11:33 PM
I was thinking to myself tonight that the ratings system in the gallery might discourage some members from posting their photos. On the other hand, maybe a lot of members enjoy the friendly competition that goes along with the ratings system. What do you think?
[post=270744]Quoted post[/post]​
I don't know if this is worth the trouble or not, but it seems logical to me that a voluntary rating system could be there and those posting photos could decide if they wanted their photo to be rated. This would be easy for future photos, but I don't know about those already posted. Either the posters would have to request that the ratings be removeed or you could have people request the ratings system. Either way.

It just seems logical to have both types available and let those putting their photos up decide rather than the viewers.

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Originally posted by Freddie53+Dec 29 2004, 10:56 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Freddie53 &#064; Dec 29 2004, 10:56 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-MisterMark@Dec 29 2004, 11:33 PM
[post=270744]Quoted post[/post]​
I don&#39;t know if this is worth the trouble or not, but it seems logical to me that a voluntary rating system could be there and those posting photos could decide if they wanted their photo to be rated. This would be easy for future photos, but I don&#39;t know about those already posted. Either the posters would have to request that the ratings be removeed or you could have people request the ratings system. Either way.

It just seems logical to have both types available and let those putting their photos up decide rather than the viewers.
[post=270771]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Thanks for your thoughts. There probably is a way to make it an option, but it would involve some custom code that I wouldn&#39;t know how to create. The ratings feature will likely have to either be on or off.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Personally, I never rate any of the pictures. To my way of thinking, LPSG has a different purpose than RateARod.com and RateMySchlong.com. I&#39;d prefer this to remain a forum for discussion, not a competition. But maybe that&#39;s just me.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
It takes a hell of a lot of guts to post your package on here -- but, to be sure, I&#39;m talking about people who are posting genuine, authentic pictures of themselves. To the naysayers that either do not prefer your picture of choice or who just like cutting everyone&#39;s scores down out of spite, fuck &#39;em. This isn&#39;t a competition, sure. But if someone out there is admiring what you got, whether they leave a comment or secretly get off to your pictures, then that&#39;s an undeniable plus.

I&#39;m pretty indifferent to the rating system. If someone likes or dislikes a pic, that&#39;s their business. As far as I&#39;m concerned, I like what I got and I&#39;m not afraid to show it.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Personally, I&#39;d rather just leave comments when I see something I like, rating seems somewhat demeaning in a way. I agree with Dee and DMW that it&#39;s not a contest, and maybe would work better if not presented that way. I do use the rating system sometimes, but now that I think about it, comments seems nicer.

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I&#39;ve never really considered the pic rating system to what we strive for here at LPSG, and that&#39;s discussion and support. I agree with DMW and MZ about the fact that it is not appropriate for here, and that type of competitive stuff belongs with Ratemyschlong/ratemyrod.

besides, it also plays up to people&#39;s egos, and we don&#39;t want that do we?

ashlar

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It does not matter to me in the least. I don&#39;t use the gallery much anyways because I can&#39;t afford to become a premium member currently, and I have my own webspace so if someone wants to see pics of me I can just send them links or emails.

jeepwranglerboi

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I&#39;d have to agree with the other posts. It is not imperative for there to be a rating system with the pictures. I agree with DMW and Dee about the fact that this site shouldn&#39;t be used as a competition of sorts and Mme Zora with the idea that comments are better. Keep up the great work Mark&#33;

DieHard9x6: I just realized that I&#39;ve never looked at my own ratings. I hope I didn&#39;t do too poorly&#33; lol

So I&#39;d say the rating system is unneccessary...I just wish I could think of a way to prompt more people to leave comments&#33;

D_Barbi_Queue

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by ashlar@Dec 31 2004, 10:22 AM
It does not matter to me in the least. I don&#39;t use the gallery much anyways because I can&#39;t afford to become a premium member currently, and I have my own webspace so if someone wants to see pics of me I can just send them links or emails.
[post=271084]Quoted post[/post]​

Actually Ashlar...don&#39;t let the premium membership stop you from posting pics....you don&#39;t have to be one to have a few up. ^_^

ashlar

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by TexAssgirl+Dec 31 2004, 02:21 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TexAssgirl &#064; Dec 31 2004, 02:21 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-ashlar@Dec 31 2004, 10:22 AM

Actually Ashlar...don&#39;t let the premium membership stop you from posting pics....you don&#39;t have to be one to have a few up. ^_^
[post=271133]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

thats true but if someones paying to see me I want a cut of the cash.
I say who, I say when, I say how much ;)

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Originally posted by ashlar+Jan 1 2005, 01:55 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ashlar &#064; Jan 1 2005, 01:55 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by TexAssgirl@Dec 31 2004, 02:21 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-ashlar
@Dec 31 2004, 10:22 AM
It does not matter to me in the least. I don&#39;t use the gallery much anyways because I can&#39;t afford to become a premium member currently.

[post=271133]Quoted post[/post]​

thats true but if someones paying to see me I want a cut of the cash.
I say who, I say when, I say how much ;)
[post=271225]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
Well that leaves some of us out of viewing

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I think I&#39;m going to leave the ratings system in place for now. I honestly never pay any attention to it when I&#39;m looking at photos in the gallery. One of the things I like about the gallery is that if you don&#39;t enter your own rating of an image, you don&#39;t see the average rating that everyone else has given it. This makes it almost an optional feature. So for those of us don&#39;t care about ratings, it&#39;s very easy to ignore it almost entirely.

I shouldn&#39;t have posed the question with the phrase, "a little friendly competition". Although there may be some who enjoy competition, I bet there are even more guys who just like to see for themselves what rating they&#39;ll get, while not necessarily comparing their ratings with others. But maybe the biggest percentage of posters simply enjoy being on exhibit for the world to look at. I can relate to that. ;)

Anyway, thanks to all of you for your comments and votes, and for your interest in helping to make the LPSG a better place. :)