Poll...Who is your favorite painter/artist?

Who is your favorite painter/artist?

• Total voters

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
You should start a thread on homo erotic art focusing on artists such as Tom of Finland against earlier artists like Paul Cadmus who's work was a bit more veiled. Also include photographers.

That sounds like an excellent idea.

Attached is an image of a favorite, l' Ecole du Platon, by Belgian symbolist artist Jean Delville. I think it is in the Musee Gare d' Orsay in Paris, with the rest of the post second empire art.

Here is a link to an excellent online homo erotic Art museum, the curators have collected many works I am otherwise unfamiliar with.
Homoerotic Art Museum - Front page

Attachments

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
First time I came across Escher was an illustration in as HS algebra textbook, in the late 60's there was no name printed with it, most intrigued, and continue so.

A couple of favorite contemporary gay artists whose work grew out of a comics background, are Patrick Fillion and Joe Collins.

Correction: that should be Joe Phillips, not Collins.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Here is a link to the website of gay artist Joe phillips:(I used to have trouble with it not loading with IE, no problem with firefox.)
Joe Phillips Online

Patrick Fillion(a lot requires AVS, but still plenty to see):
The Official Comic Webspace of Patrick Fillion's Sexy Gay Boytoons and More

Glen Hanson (there is a lot of his work I have seen elswhere, such as what was published in the G men book that doesn't show on his site.)
Untitled Document

Kinu Sekigushi:
Manga Gay : les mecs mangas de Kinu Sekigushi - yaoi

Attached, examples of their work.

Attachments

brody

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I miss the Italian baroque painter Caravaggio (1571-1610) on the list.
He is famous for using the contrast between light and dark to create a dramatic atmosphere.
800px-Caravaggio_(Michelangelo_Merisi)_-_Ecce_Homo_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When I was younger I was enthralled with Carl Bloch. My Mum got me an illustrated bible, and I swore to my cousins that there were actual photographs of Jesus in that bible! They were just so good!

1680056211592.png

But as I grew older I came to love Van Gogh. I could imagine him throwing paint onto canvas or wood with a knife trying to imitate the Japanese art he revered.

1680056324288.png

No shadows, a nod to perspective, and very little color mixing. His life makes me cry sometimes.