Poll.... You Decide Should We Issue Warnings For Posting "bump" Yes Or No?

Should Users Be Punished For "Bump"ing Threads?

• Yes! Please Implement This!

Votes: 317 53.3%
  • No They Shouldn't!

Votes: 278 46.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

notforprofit

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
YES PLEASE!

Any form of bumping - not just typing "bump" - should be against the rules. No matter how long it's been since the last post. Because it's obnoxious and accomplishes nothing 99.99% of the time. There are so many tools which allow people to find what they're looking for. You can watch a thread for a notification when that thread is updated. And you can search. What more do you need, lads?

I understand why people "bump" threads, but why can't they say something productive like "anything new on this person?". So I'm in full support of having warnings for "bump" posts. I think initially it will be hard for some, but I think after a few weeks to a month you'll see posting quality increase.

Reactions: Rulan and Anron

abclou

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I understand why people "bump" threads, but why can't they say something productive like "anything new on this person?". So I'm in full support of having warnings for "bump" posts. I think initially it will be hard for some, but I think after a few weeks to a month you'll see posting quality increase.
"Bump" and asking for new IS THE SAME THING.
At least post a Pic or something.

Reactions: notforprofit

danerain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
While "Bump" can be annoying, banning for using it is pretty extreme and too big brotherish.

How does it get enforced? Bump, bumpety, dump, and a host of other variations are used including just quoting a previous post and adding nothing. It would be difficult to script which means someone either has to report it or a moderator has a big job.

How about just having some posting guidelines with things like
- don't bump threads without adding content within 48 hours of the last post
- no name calling
- no fighting (such as the endless fights over cut vs uncut that derail threads)
- other stuff

Then if someone abuses the guidelines they can be reported.
Seriously, why would bumping a thread be a bad thing, especially on here?

Threads about dick never die

Reactions: thejoejoe

danerain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
YES PLEASE!

Any form of bumping - not just typing "bump" - should be against the rules. No matter how long it's been since the last post. Because it's obnoxious and accomplishes nothing 99.99% of the time. There are so many tools which allow people to find what they're looking for. You can watch a thread for a notification when that thread is updated. And you can search. What more do you need, lads?
So, what? You'd rather someone make an entirely new thread if another thread get's "too old?"

Bumping helps to keep all of the old content together rather than spread out over multiple threads. I'm seeing too many dumb ways that this would work IRL and nothing really compelling.

Squirrel1

Worshipped Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Seriously, why would bumping a thread be a bad thing, especially on here?

Threads about dick never die

Why? I'll give you three. Because some members bump needlessly, sometime within minutes of a previous post. Lots of the "bumpers" contribute very little content, themselves. If you are watching a thread, you get constant alerts for bump posts.

Reactions: Anron

abclou

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Love it. We should change "BUMP" to this-
TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP
People don't like him so it may CUT down on the People from doing this.

notforprofit

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
So, what? You'd rather someone make an entirely new thread if another thread get's "too old?"

Bumping helps to keep all of the old content together rather than spread out over multiple threads. I'm seeing too many dumb ways that this would work IRL and nothing really compelling.

I'm not following this logic. You're saying people would make a new thread about something because the other was ... too old? That doesn't make sense.

Using the search function would make this unnecessary. Some people are just lazy.

giocio

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Hopefully this idea sounds okay.

What if this website had the option, just like liking comments, the ability to bump a thread to the front of its respective section.

Instead of everyone receiving a notification that somebody replied to a thread with "bump", the thread just moves to the front page of its respective section.

I would say that in an effort to avoid people abusing this feature, people should be limited to 1-3 "bumps" per day, and they are not allowed to bump the same thread more than once per week.

Alkaz

Cherished Member
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
A lot of forums seem to be getting rid of this rule rather than implementing it. Although it can be annoying it often promotes fresh chat and avoids new threads being created with people then moaning saying that there is already a thread on that topic.

I would also merge same topic threads when new ones are created so that you dont have several threads with the same topic discussing the same thing.

Reactions: baby g