polls changed, can Obama still win ?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by mista geechee, Sep 9, 2008.

1. mista geechee

Gold Member

Albums:
  2. D_Davy_Downspout

D_Davy_Downspout Account Disabled

3. swordfishME

swordfishME Member

Yes.

It's just not going to be the cakewalk that most expected. McCain and Republicans will put up a good fight.

4. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

The election is in November. This may seem very close. However this is a life time in politics. Things can change in one day. I look at this election in a positive way. We will have the first black president or we will have the first woman V.P.

5. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

There should be no male / female, black / white at the top of the tree (or anywhere else for that matter) - there should only be the right person for the job.

I don't believe either team is perfect - I do believe Palin was picked because she's a woman and I think her being a shit VP (if she is voted in and if she turns out to be shit) will be more of a setback for the removal of the sexist glass ceiling in American politics than if she was never nominated in the first place.

I do not believe that Obama was picked because he is black, nor because he is male. So he is starting from a better place with me - but then I don't have a vote! :rolleyes:

I just hope to God the majority of people on polling day vote for what they want in terms of policies and not because the ticket has their prefered gender / colour combo (or worse still because the other ticket doesn't!).

6. ledroit

ledroit New Member

Albums:
    McCain's boost in polls is predictable and temporary. Palin is a cute, new, sexy celeb added to a dead ticket. The GOP likes to confuse people by doing contradictory things that make no sense. They claim to be against big govt, then expand the powers of the president beyond belief, and preside over the most invasive, expensive expansion of govt the US has ever seen. They claim to be fiscal conservatives, then choose policies that are absolutely ruinous from a fiscal point of view, like refusing to tax the rich for an unnecessary war. Bush was liberal to the extreme when it came to granting himself the right to be above the law, and do whatever he simply felt like doing. He got away with it by simply calling himself conservative, then acting with the most extreme kind of liberality toward himself, big oil, his cronies and friends. They did not even have to be qualified to do a job. He gave them jobs because they were buddies. You can't get any more liberal than that.

McCain is trying to paint himself as a change agent by saying he disagreed with Bush & other republicans. This is like saying you are no longer married to your wife because you occasionally disagree.

McCain is married to the republican party. He embraces their whole mind-set. The only way the GOP is ever going to change is if they are soundly defeated, and kicked out of power. That is the only thing that will get them to re-think their basics and fundamentals. They have to hit rock bottom, like an alcoholic or drug addict does, before they will sober up. Unless and until that happens, they will keep using the same old strategies they have always used. They are good only at attacking, ridiculing, abusing, and badmouthing others. They get a kick out of putting incompetent people on a ticket or in office. It's a little bit like appointing Martha Stewart to be the new head coach of the New England Patriots. That would outrage anybody who loves football and takes the game seriously.

The message they send by appointing incompetent, clueless people to a job they clearly can't perform is a simple one. They are simply saying, "We have the power to do whatever the hell we want, and nobody can stop us."

This gets a lot of democrats so angry they can't even think straight at first. But the good thing is that there is plenty of time between now and Nov for the confusion and novelty factor to wear off.

McCain can't give a decent speech. He acts sometimes like someone with the symptoms of pre-dementia. He's erratic, has poor judgment, gets abusive, loses his temper all the time, gets reactive as hell.

Obama is the exact opposite. He has a cool head, is not impulsive or reactive. His sense of timing is very good. I think he is letting the GOP dig its own grave a little deeper right now. It's like giving your opponent a false sense of security and confidence in the ring or on the playing field, so they become blind to their own weaknesses. You bide your time until they are exposed and vulnerable. Then you simply knock them out and wipe them up.

McCain acts like a spoiled, pissed off teenager, much like Bush did. Both appeal to a kind of adolescent male resentment. They appeal to people who don't have the power to do whatever the hell they want to do, whenever they feel like doing it.

I know I'll get backlash for saying all of this. But that's what I think.

#6 ledroit, Sep 9, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  7. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

McCain acts like a spoiled, pissed off teenager

seems as though you have a lot in common

8. kalipygian

Gold Member

Albums:
    Before Palin's nomination, it was looking like Obama might be the first Dem to win Alaska's 3 electoral votes since LBJ. McCain was not at all popular with the R's here, Huckabee and Paul were the first and second, by a lot. Now the R's have 51% oin the state.

My guess is that the R's can only go down, the Troopergate report is due out in October, and perhaps will dominate coverage closer to the election. There is little doubt SP acted very improperly. Walt Monegan was the Commissioner of Public Safety she fired when he refused to fire a trooper at her request, her estranged ex-brother in law. The State trooper's union has also brought suit against her. Monagan was long our local (Anchorage) Police Chief, and was well respected. She was legally entitled to fire her cabinet appointee, but not look at an individual trooper's personell files.

www.adn.com/monegan

#8 kalipygian, Sep 9, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  9. artvandelay

artvandelay New Member

It wont matter. We Americans are dumb (most of us)as voters. We don't vote on policy. We vote for a label. Palin is a label, conservative. You're not going to change peoples mind except for independents. They are the only smart voters out there. Except in rare occasions, like after Jimmy Carter's presidency do registered voters vote for the other party. That and whiny Hillary supporters. This country has more democrats that republicans. So why do they continue to win? An old worn out voting policy. The electoral college. And getting the vote out. Majority doesn't count. IT's not one election. It's 51 seperate election (Puerto Rico). Most southern and midwest states vote conservative. Obama may change this by getting the young vote. People need to realize what is a stake and vote. Our voter turnout is a joke. People in countries like Zimbabwe risk their lives voting. We take it for granted.

What people aren't taking into consideration is the most important part of this election. The Supreme court. The people who really make the laws. In the next four years, as many as 3 Supreme Court justices may retire. If that happens the next president wil appoint the new ones. If we get more Alitio's and Roberts under McCain, that will overturn Roe v Wade, a womans right to choose and equal pay for woman. It'll continue the downward spiral of the average American first and big corporations on top. this is less about Obama and Palin...Sorry, Mccain. this is about rights. Think before you vote. Don't vote for label.

Remeber a few things about the conservatives current events. Georgia vs Russia. This adminstration gave the green light for Georgia to start bombing Osetia pissing off Russia. The missle defense sheild we are putting in Poland and ignoring Russia's demands. Who here would stand for Russia putting missles in Cuba and/or Mexico? All we do is scream U-S-A U-S-A and ignore the facts. McCain supports Bush's tax policies. Cut cut cut cut cut. As much as we hate taxes, they are neccessay. Where does money come from to build roads? To build a military to protect us? TAXES! Some taxes are bad, some are neccessary. In my state alone, we are out of money to rebuild bridges. Ask Minnesota about bridges. Cutting taxes is a ploy for support but what are going to do to keep this countries infrastructure in tact? Ask Jerry Lewis tohold a telethon?

Good luck in this election, we need it.

10. stamrod

stamrod New Member

Albums:
    Of course Obama still has a chance, a very good chance IMO. McCain has simply solidified his position in states he already has. Too many of the battleground states are leaning Obama for McCain to win. The US is a democratic republic not a democracy, the fact that McCain has the majority doesn't mean anything.

11. TripHammer

TripHammer Active Member

Albums:
    Silver Lake, Los Angeles, California, USA, Sol 3,
    Not only CAN he win, he WILL win. Sarah Palin's a momentary distraction.

12. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    I wouldn't count McCain out. Because to do so would only be an unestimation as to what lengths the Republican Party will go to (and have yet to go to) to win this race. Also, it gives the average American voter more credit (for having better sense) than what they've merited so far (based on the past two elections).

Whether or not Obama wins is quite important to be sure (perhaps more important for this coming generation than even they know). However of equal importance is the fact that a person such as he, a black man in America, can be the nominee - one of two, running for the highest office in the land. Of historic importance in and of itself.

Anyway, win or lose Obama will be around, and if not, others like him will surely follow. So They might as well get used to the idea.

13. Principessa

Gold Member

From your lips to God's ears! :cool:

I understand the historical significance of Sarah Palin possibly being the first female Vice President; but I don't think she will be a good thing for women or the country. :frown1:

14. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    Don't count the repubs out. They don't mind fighting dirty and know that they have an easy campaign to run. Mccain is old and white and a war vet with a child he adopted from Bangladesh. His wife is pretty and blonde and thin and young and they're uber-conservative and strictly against gay rights. They just won half of America right there, and we haven't even gotte to their fear tactics, downright lying, and the fact that one person on their ticket has a vagina.

If Obama wins, it'll only be by a few hairs. If this country had enough damn sense to fill a peanut shell, Obama would've won by a landslide. The only people voting for Mccain would be himself and Bill O'Reilly. Oh, and the asshats at Faux News.

15. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

I think soccer and stay at home moms, disaffected hilaryites, and a few who find her sexy/pretty, will vote for Palin in force, giving McCain the presidency.

Seven weeks.

16. mista geechee

Gold Member

Albums:
    i;;ll come back and read all this this when im not wasted

17. slurper_la

Gold Member

Albums:
  18. Penis Aficionado

Gold Member

I'd still bet $100 on Obama. It will be close, but, throughout American history, when the economy's in this kind of shape voters change the party in the White House.

Interestingly, I think there's now a clear role for Hillary in this campaign: to go out every day and say that the choice of Sarah Palin for VP is an insult to women's intelligence. Obama and Biden can't attack Palin -- if Obama does it he comes off as an urban sophisticate and if Biden does it he comes off as that drunk guy in the corner stool at your local Irish bar, ranting about bitches and cunts. The only one who can do it is Hillary. But will she?

19. Trinity

Trinity New Member

Clear role for Hillary? (where's the button to change from posting to yelling...oh here it is) ARE YOU CRAZY? You and every other Obama fan who just now woke up to hear what I've been saying from day one and are now shaking in your Obama boots...get real.

Hillary Clinton has said she will not and she should not attack another woman to save Barack Obama. Gov. Sarah Palin as Vice President of the United States is NOT an insult to women's intelligence. You suggesting it is... is an insulting statement though... Barack Obama is not qualified for President. Gov. Sarah Palin is qualified for Vice President.

I would love to vote for Hillary Clinton over Sarah Palin. The Democratic Party did not give me that opportunity...and that's too bad. With the current choice between to the two tickets. Believe it! Obama may just lose. And it is NOT the responsibility of Hillary Clinton to save him. It is definitely not Hillary Clinton's responsibility to attack Palin in any way.

The Democratic Leadership could have stood up and stopped the sexism against Hillary. The SuperDelegates and the Democratic Leadership could have recognized the strongest and most qualified candidate and the choice of the people as the Nominee for the top of the ticket - Hillary Clinton...instead they chose to ignore sexism, to ignore Obama's use of the race card, to ignore 18 million votes and the best candidate to lead this Nation - Hillary Clinton. After all of that, Obama had a chance to pick Hillary Clinton as his running mate. He didn't even vet her. That is an insult to women. Obama and his camp have been saying for months 'get over it...' that is an insult to women. Obama did not pay women equal to men in his own campaign - that is an insult to women.

Obama wants to be President of the United States...if he and his chosen VP can't convince people to vote for Obama, He does not deserve to lead the nation.

Obama is on his own.

20. Notthe7

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    :: sniffs the air with a long hearty inhalation ::

At long last......... a 'Politics' section.

Back to the topic,

I've been saying since day one...
    'Watch, the American people .... will re-elect a republican.... And why? Why on earth would the American populace do SUCH a thing? ... I dont know i dont know... We're masochists?"

Draft saved Draft deleted