Polyamory

My family is polyamorous, as am I. I also have quite a few friends locally who are polyamorous. We actually get together regularly for BBQs and such, and a few of them run a "Poly 101/201/301" class for locals interested in learning about the lifestyle.

Chrysippus

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My family is polyamorous, as am I. I also have quite a few friends locally who are polyamorous. We actually get together regularly for BBQs and such, and a few of them run a "Poly 101/201/301" class for locals interested in learning about the lifestyle.

Thank you for your post!
I am curious to know how your relationships are accepted by those you know, work with--if in fact you share the details of your relationships outside a small circle. What legal protections are required by or are different for your family? Are there rights that you feel are not extended to you, like tax deductions, etc.
I am not interested in your personal interactions, as those are private and personal, but I am interested in the social and legal status of your family. Do you feel there is a special spiritual dimension your family enjoys? Don't mean to pry, just desire to understand.

For those who I share my (and my family's) polyamory info with, they are very accepting. I'm just careful about who I share that information with.

I live in the USA, so there are no legal protections for polyamorous families. There are no special tax-deductions, or other considerations that are extended to two-person-couples. Socially, the majority of people would (at least in public) say we are strange, weird, or "sinful", and they would not accept our lifestyle. Legally, there are no prohibitions that we have to deal with (because we're not trying to be married to multiple partners).

There is a special spiritual dimension my family enjoys, but we're a fairly spiritual-type group of people to begin with. The support we give each other emotionally, mentally, physically (in some cases), and spiritually is amazing and I wouldn't trade it for anything. We feel very connected to each other, and that sense of community and spiritual bond that we have helps on an emotional level that I don't see in many family units elsewhere. This is just my experience with polyamory, but I hope it helps. I don't mind sharing, so don't feel bad for asking. I'm happy to share info with those who are truely interested (ie not looking to condemn me or my family, and/or get into an argument). Please, if you have other questions, feel free to ask.

Reactions: Chrysippus

We just began a MMM poly relationship. Two of us had been married 19 years and we just introduced a young man into our lives. Its a really special thing but I could see where it could be difficult for some. We really have four distinct relationships: person A and person B, A and C, B and C, and of course A B and C. We all love each other, we all want to spend the rest of our lives together as three.

We just began a MMM poly relationship. Two of us had been married 19 years and we just introduced a young man into our lives. Its a really special thing but I could see where it could be difficult for some. We really have four distinct relationships: person A and person B, A and C, B and C, and of course A B and C. We all love each other, we all want to spend the rest of our lives together as three.

I'm very happy for you three! I hope things work out long-term, and that you all have manyhappy years together!

At.your.cervix

Superior Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Several years back I was involved with a woman who was in a polyamorous relationship with what I might call her "significant other." Unfortunately, one was being far more polyamorous than the other and jealousy eventually started to build, and they split up. I'm sure that it can work for some people, but I'm also aware that it takes the right people with the right perspective to work out.

nudeguy1958

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
My husband and I had a younger man come to stay with us. It was supposed to be for 2 weeks. He finally moved out years later. We loved him and he is. Still do even though he doesn't live with us any more. We would love to find another man again. Especially for my husband, he is a caretaker and loves to talk. I'm not near the talker he is. Sex is only a part of the relationship, the sharing is more.