Polyurethane condoms?

longjh8: Awfully technical sounding topic I know :)

Anyway, my wife is allergic to latex, so one time when we had to use condoms to to one o' those unfortunate female problems, she bought a box of polyurethane ones (Torjan makes them). Well, most larger brands of latex condoms fit me just fine, because latex is very "stretchy." Well, polyurethane *isn't*!!! I could barely get it on (ouch), and we broke 3 before finally giving up.

I checked the Trojan website hoping maybe that they realized this problem and offer the polyurethane condoms in a wider variety of sizes. Well, the site is pretty silly, and only had passing mention of the polyurethane "model", and had no place to submit comments!!!

Does anyone know where to get larger polyurethane (or any non-latex, preferably not lambskin, because $$$, and also GROSS!!!) condoms?

awellhungboi: The only other non-latex condom I could find any info about was Avanti. Here's a website with some info:

http://www.blowfish.com/catalog/guides/Avanti.html

Some of the people on the site report the same issues that you have, though. (Not stretchy enough . . . breakage . . . not designed for a larger man . . . a tendency to slip off etc). Some people seem quite enthusiastic about them, however. I did a quick Google search and couldn't find any specifically 'larger-sized' polyurethane condom--although the Avanti's are supposedly slightly larger than Trojan.

Anyway, good luck!

chi8wannabe: You might check out Reality condoms (do a Google search). They are worn by the woman and are made of polyurethane. They aren't cheap, though--about $4.50 each.

stencil: The reason I haven't checked out Reality condoms is that they are - if I remember correctly - only 170mm long/deep. Since the polyurethane doesn't stretch, I assume this means that you'd "bottom out" at a little more than 6 1/2". I don't know how these things are secured, but it seems like a problem for many of us.

7x6andchg: Oh, man...

BAD BAD BAD.

They (polyurethane condoms) are supposed to transfer more body heat. As a side effect, they (the Trojan ones) also cut off the circulation to your dick, are hard to get on, even harder to get off (since you can't roll and it's stuck)....

I, too, would like to try the experience of a polyeurethane condom that fits anyone else over 6" around.

longjh8: Yes it sounds like you had a very similar experience to me trying to use one. I felt like someone had put a tourniquet on my stuff.

So yeah, it sounds like next time I need to wear them, I will try the Avanti and see how that works out. You'd think there would be more choices for condom material out there. I used to work in a lab, and there were about 18 zillion kinds of gloves...latex, polyurethane, nitrile, vinyl, etc, etc.j

islandfoz: Wow, am I glad someonestartedthis topic. I bought some of the poly condoms a few months ago. I had such a tough time trying to get it on. When I finnallydid, it only stretched over my head and about 2 inches(real safe huh?). Then it looked ridiculas. I tried fucking, but could not feel a damn and could not stay hard. Later that day,I had a bruise in the shape of thecondom all the way around my dick.
These are awfull condoms for guys our size. I have tried the reality one for women too, but that other guy is right, there not very long, and you wont get much in. Like fucking a trampoline.
I wish someone had a good idea too.
But , if your married,have you considered maybe a vasactomy.I know it sounds crazy, but might be best idea. You can even have yoursperm frozen nowin case you wantkids later on.
Let me know what you find out though about condoms.

ational: I've started using lamb skin condoms. They accomidate the most girth.

They don't feel like a straight jacket when they're on.

Polyurethane condoms are the most uncomfortable condoms I've used. They are painful.

ericbear

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
[quote author=ational link=board=sex;num=1050372631;start=0#7 date=04/30/03 at 16:10:03]I've started using lamb skin condoms.  [/quote]

Make sure you read the information in the lamb "skin" (actually, lamb gut) condoms carefully, and understand their limitations. While such condoms are very comfortable, and may prevent pregnancy, they are ineffective against STDs, and in particular are ineffective against the tiny AIDS virus. This is because, being made of natural membrane, they are porous, and while the pores are too small for sperm to go through, the same is not true of bacteria and viruses.

The problems with lambskin condoms have been known for a long time. Consider this article which appeared in the LA times in 1987: http://www.aegis.com/news/lt/1987/LT870805.html
Since 1993, the following warning has been required by FDA on lambskin condoms:

This product is intended to prevent pregnancy. It does not protect against HIV infection (AIDS) and other sexually transmitted diseases. In order to help reduce the risk of transmission of many STDs, including HIV infection (AIDS), use a latex condom.

To discourage their use, Trojan and their parent company have removed information on these condoms (Naturalamb brand) from their websites, although the products are still available.

I will agree that polyurethane condoms are uncomfortable. Manufacturers often incorrectly imply that they might be good for the well endowed, because they are made to larger dimensions. In fact, polyurethane condoms do not stretch well, and must be made oversize to fit an average penis. This makes them unsitable if you are thicker than average.

If your only concern is prevention of pregnancy, lambskin may be the way to go. But, if you are also concerned about STDs, use latex.

ational: No, lamb skin condoms do not protect against STDs. I'm married and am not worrying about STDs.

They are not for everyone, but they are the most comfortable condom to wear that I've encountered.

The smell of the lamb skin is different, but I don't think it smells any worse than latex. The way it is folded up (instead of rolled) takes a little getting used to.

Sorry for not clarifying the limitations of lamb skin, but the original poster was asking because his wife was allergic to latex. I assumed since he was married, STDs weren't a big consideration.