Pooping in the unfriendly skies of Ireland?

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
OK, I'm sitting here reading Clarín, most widely read newspaper in Argentina and I come across the following:

"Quieren cobrar el uso del baño en aviones: La aerolínea irlandesa de bajo costo Ryanair anuncío ayer que planea cobrar a los psajeros el uso del los baños en el avión, para hacer frente a la crisis económica de la empresa."

Then the article goes on to explain how Michael O'Leary, director of Ryanair, announced to the BBC that the airline is looking into pay toilet mechanisms that would be easy for passengers to use, including for those with children or those feeling ill. And they also plan to double the price of their beverages?

You've got to be kidding?! To earn extra grickles during these hard economic times some Irish airline is suggesting that its passengers pay to poop or hold it until you shit your pants exiting the jetway at a fast clip?

I'd expect this from United or Delta, but a European air carrier?

Please tell me things are not this bad in the United Kingdom . . . please!

I'm all for doing my part to help businesses stay solvent. But if an airline expected me to pay to use the onboard facilities, I would prefer to just hold back any air sickness until I could blow chunks all over the first flight attendent who got in my way. Not that I have anything against flight attendents, but back lashes work best at the grass roots level. :mad::mad::mad:

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I guess its just another form of business.
Ryanair is a budget airline and is not popular in the uk among most passengers.
Its like supermarkets that make you pay fror carrier bags....they do so because it helps them keep prices on their goods down and as not everyone needs a carrier (or toilet in this case) then they benefit on cheaper products (air travel)

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I've always been of the opinion that if the ancient Romans were smart enough to offer free toilets and baths to their citizens then they are still far more advanced than the days when one "had to spend a penny" or "drop 10 cents" just to take a dump in train stations, airports, bus stations, or any other public building with "facilities." I thought those days were over with.

One thing that is slowly losing ground (but not by much) in Argentine restaurants is the "table fee." This is the only country where I regularly find an itemized charge for the use of a restaurant's tableware. Usually, it's about 6 Pesos. This table fee is not shared by the waiting staff. The restaurants collect it and keep it. One is expected to tip waiters and waitresses 10% for good table service. In addition, you are expected to "rent" the knives, forks, spoons, glasses, plates, and napkins. Odd.

But back to Ryanair. It seems they would be in violation of some international poop treaty or something. Even EasyJet hasn't resorted to being THAT cheap.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
IBut back to Ryanair. It seems they would be in violation of some international poop treaty or something. Even EasyJet hasn't resorted to being THAT cheap.

IMO, when it comes to extracting as much as possible under the flimsiest pretence, there are no bowels O'Leary will leave unplumbed (pun intended). Ryanair has skirted the edges of aviation [and other] legislation on a number of occasions ... and that's being charitable.

I have flown Ryanair a few times (usually for same day returns within Europe) ... as an experience it's something I can't say I cherish and they are always always my absolute last option.

Having said that, it is kind of perversly amusing to watch the rugby scrum that ensues when 100+ people charge a small Boeing like it's their last ticket out of hell and it's leaving in two minutes. I make sure I board first, or last - anything in between is just asking for 20 minutes of irritation!

Easyjet somehow manage to be a step up, despite having an essentially similar model - they just tend not to have a schedule that suits me quite right on the routes on which I make short trips.

Last edited:

koval

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Michael O'Leary will do anything to either make or save a quick buck. Here in Ireland he bought himself a taxi plate license so he could use bus lanes in order to avoid traffic jams. Too bad for him you can only use the bus lanes when you have fare paying passengers on board. Since he didn't have any passengers on board a member of the public reported him and he ended up having to forfeit his license.

I've only used Ryanair 3 times in my life and have sworn that I will never set foot onboard one of their planes again.

funnyguy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I've always been of the opinion that if the ancient Romans were smart enough to offer free toilets and baths to their citizens then they are still far more advanced than the days when one "had to spend a penny" or "drop 10 cents" just to take a dump in train stations, airports, bus stations, or any other public building with "facilities." I thought those days were over with.

One thing that is slowly losing ground (but not by much) in Argentine restaurants is the "table fee." This is the only country where I regularly find an itemized charge for the use of a restaurant's tableware. Usually, it's about 6 Pesos. This table fee is not shared by the waiting staff. The restaurants collect it and keep it. One is expected to tip waiters and waitresses 10% for good table service. In addition, you are expected to "rent" the knives, forks, spoons, glasses, plates, and napkins. Odd.

But back to Ryanair. It seems they would be in violation of some international poop treaty or something. Even EasyJet hasn't resorted to being THAT cheap.

Hey Midlifebear,
Why not just "pack up" your tableware after dining and take it with you? Would that cause too much of a ruckus? LOL :biggrin1: