Pope Fails to Take Responsibility for Sex Abuse Scandal

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_quietguy, Mar 21, 2010.

1. B_quietguy

B_quietguy New Member

Pope Benedict wrote a letter to Irish Catholics about the sex abuse scandal. He tried to mollify the Catholics - but angered them because he failed to accept personal responsibility for his actions and policies that led to more children getting sexually assaulted by predatory priests.

From the news article:

"More than 300 claimants this year have alleged abuse in Catholic schools and a choir long run by the pope's brother."

"While a cardinal at the Vatican, Joseph Ratzinger, now the pope, wrote a 2001 letter instructing bishops worldwide to report all cases of abuse to his office and keep church investigations secret under threat of excommunication."

"Should not Pope Benedict XVI also assume his own responsibility, instead of complaining that there is a campaign against him?"

"There is no owning up by the Pope to his part in the cover-up. He says he is deeply sorry about what other people did, not what he did."

So the Pope threatened to excommunicate bishops who would have turned any evidence about predatory priests over to the police?

#1 B_quietguy, Mar 21, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  2. B_Hung Jon

B_Hung Jon New Member

My uncle was abused by a catholic priest when he was a little kid and it has affected all his relationships with women and his children with his first wife. It's hard for me to understand why catholics continue to support such a corrupt institution where the whole hierarchy is involved in the cover-up. Is this a church that any moral person would belong to?

3. Drifterwood

Gold Member

As far as I read it, he is apologising that it happened in Ireland, that canon law should be used to expel paedophiles, and that the paedophiles should hand themselves over to the Police.

He has not said that church authorities should hand them over to the Police.

Effectively, church law sill sits above State law. Perhaps we should now prosecute those who witheld evidence. Including him.

4. 123scotty

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    my heart goes out to your uncle whos pain has stuck with him. child abuse stays for life. i have copied this from another post as i feel it is relevant here also.
    the r.c church has been caught with its pants down . literally and will use every p.r. stunt favor it can pull to get out. this is not a religious matter it is the law. children's lives are being ruined living in fear of the very people they should be able to trust. and this will continue on for the rest of there lives. well after the news circus has moved on. the people who do and cover up child abuse are tarred with the same crime and should be treated within the law. to show the people they have violated justice still works. everyone has the right to believe in what ever religion they chose and to live there lives as they see fit. that is the point of a free society. but they are still have to be within the laws of the land. so will mr. pope and his p.r. brigade come clean start again and try again and regain trust. or maybe spout some hard line nonsense and play the blame game and hope it all goes away? place your bets now. we have seen the hard line values have we not. and so have countless children. the ball is in your court mr pope.

5. Jason

Gold Member

A concise post which reaches the obvious conclusion. Thanks Drifterwood!

6. B_quietguy

B_quietguy New Member

I've never known of a sexual predator who handed himself in to the police. That's just not how predators think. The very priest that Archbishop Ratzinger (now the Pope) reassigned to other parishes refused to admit he had a problem. That priest never admitted that sexually assaulting children is a crime. Nor did he think there was anything wrong with himself. Even after telling that to the church authorities, the Pope reassigned him to another parish. That's like giving a bank thief the keys to more banks.

Just as that priest refused to admit he had committed a crime, the Pope has refused to acknowledge his own role in allowing more crimes to occur. That's a severe lack of integrity.

Yep. Right to the point there. He can't bear for the church to lose credibility, so why turn over predatory priests?

The Pope may think Church law outranks civil law, but I'd bet every country on the planet would disagree. Every country except the Vatican.

I'd like to see the Pope thrown in jail for life. Then he'd become some jailed priest's butt-boy. After he died, he can suffer in hell for I care.

7. Drifterwood

Gold Member

These cases highlight the fact that this question, which has torn communities apart for several centuries, has still to be adequately addressed.

In my opinion the Catholic Church can be accused of committing a criminal offence by witholding evidence and in being an accessory after the fact to future crimes, which as you say, is the normal pattern with such criminals as paedophiles.

A church organisation has no right to set itself outside the law and it also brings into question it's own morality for so doing.

The Pope is due to visit the UK in September, I think, though I doubt we will have the balls to arrest him.

8. cruztbone

Gold Member

well, Drifterwood, i hope the UK does arrest him. His membership in Hitler youth is enough to at least stop him as an undesirable alien, at very least. I hope you will consider demonstrating against his visit. I will do the same when he comes to Califormia. He does NOT represent the Catholics i know in California.

9. justasimpleguy

justasimpleguy Active Member

Albums:
    I don't think the Pope will be welcome anywhere he goes, especially the UK and California. Especially California, for anyone who watched Deliver Us from Evil. Harrowing documentary.

10. Drifterwood

Gold Member

It seems a bit like the Enron situation to me. I am sure that there were a lot of very nice people working at Enron and that they had many happy customers. But the fact is that they were corrupt at the top and they went down for this.

Criminal cases in the UK are undertaken in the name of the Crown. The Crown versus the Roman Catholic Church, whilst a bewildering irony to people like me, is probably a bit too tricky.

11. cruztbone

Gold Member

You are correct Drifterwood. The Catholic church has many good, caring people who work for it, but it is so corrupt at the top it is unable to reform itself. it must fall of its own weight and be reborn again, with the faithful in charge this time.

12. Jason

Gold Member

I love this post.

Put the faithful in charge. Put faith at the centre - not canon law and doctrine and the pope. This is exactly what the protestant reformation did. The key doctrine is salvation by faith alone. The one Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church is the faithful, the believers.

Maybe the free flow of information of our age is going to finish the process started by Luther et al. I'm hesitant to say it must fall, but I think a very substantial decline in RC in Europe and North America is now possible.

13. 123scotty

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    saturday 27/3 mr pope has alleged links to child abuse cover up. so how high does this go. if some like me who have seen first hand the effects of child abuse the anger inside is almost uncontrollable. and that people in position of trust can simply get away with it by playing the religion card is just sick. i have no words now that can explain my feelings.

Draft saved Draft deleted