Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Anyone here who was a popper-addict? How bad does it get? I know poppers are so prevalent and readily available. I've been using it and the rush during sex is incredible. I like to hear from somebody who personally experience the bad effects of long term use of poppers. What is the level of moderation with regards to its use?

D_Elijah_MorganWood

Expert Member
Media
LPCurious said:
Anyone here who was a popper-addict? How bad does it get? I know poppers are so prevalent and readily available. I've been using it and the rush during sex is incredible. I like to hear from somebody who personally experience the bad effects of long term use of poppers. What is the level of moderation with regards to its use?

I'm a former CD Counselor so here goes in layman's terms:
Poppers are inhalants. With any inhalant use, you run the risk of irreversable damage to the frontal lobe of the brain. How much is too much? I'm afraid your own body is the experiment on that one. The problem is this: when you realise it, it's too late. I used to use poppers (among other things) and fortunately I stopped in time. You may use them on a recreational basis without incident or you may turn into a rocking drooler. Time will tell.

If you want a visual, search for SPECT scans of inhalant abusers. I'd do it for you but I'm going to bed.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Poppers are not physically addictive. If you do have an addiction to them, it is psychological.

The chemistry of what poppers are made from, what they are in the bottle, and what they become as you metabolize them, is some scary shit. Trust me. They can indeed damage some of your organs, permanently.

If you cannot stop using poppers, on your own, you really should talk to your doctor about it. You really should. If you are embarrassed to be completely honest with your doctor, you need to find one with whom you can be completely honest. A doctor cannot treat something he doesn't know about, and trying to treat the wrong things is not good either. They have heard it all, they have seen it all, already. A visit to a substance abuse clinic could be an alternative. But if you find you just can't stop, please get help somewhere.

MH07

Expert Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
You haven't lived until a drunk sex partner pours a whole bottle of poppers up your nose while you're lying down. Never wanted poppers again, ever.

Sorcerer and DC's advice is excellent and I agree with it.

BTW, at my age now (49) I know several guys who cannot get an erection at all without poppers. Beware.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
MH07 said:
You haven't lived until a drunk sex partner pours a whole bottle of poppers up your nose while you're lying down. Never wanted poppers again, ever.

Sorcerer and DC's advice is excellent and I agree with it.

BTW, at my age now (49) I know several guys who cannot get an erection at all without poppers. Beware.
Ah, that must have really blistered the nostrils, eh? Please keep in mind that the nitrite portion of the formulation is the active ingredient. It has a similar, but non-selective, effect that either erectile dysfunction or antiarrhythmia drugs do - it affects your entire circulatory system... and can damage every blood vessel in your body, from your heart & aorta & vena cava, right down to the smallest capillary.

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
DC_DEEP said:
Ah, that must have really blistered the nostrils, eh? Please keep in mind that the nitrite portion of the formulation is the active ingredient. It has a similar, but non-selective, effect that either erectile dysfunction or antiarrhythmia drugs do - it affects your entire circulatory system... and can damage every blood vessel in your body, from your heart & aorta & vena cava, right down to the smallest capillary.

DC, wow... well said. You are quite knowledgeable about this subject. I hadn't even HEARD of poppers before this thread.:rolleyes:

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
jeff black said:
DC, wow... well said. You are quite knowledgeable about this subject. I hadn't even HEARD of poppers before this thread.:rolleyes:
jeff, with a solid background in chemistry, and a long-standing keen interest in human anatomy and physiology, that's the result. I do not claim to be a medical doctor... but as I like to say, "you don't have to graduate from L'ecole Cordon Bleu to know how to bake a cake." And I always welcome folks to check my facts... <g>

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
They say "everything in moderation" . I use them sometimes jerking off or when having sex. I did have a time where I was using to much so I cut back, but my nose has been raw before due to poppers.
American poppers are not that strong.
About 10 years ago I had some poppers from England and blacked out my vision and then everything was reverse red/green colors for a few minutes.
But if you have a concern or addiction then stop it.

basque9

LPSG Legend
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
DC_DEEP said:

I was given a snort of amile nitrate by a friend during sex when I was about 20 years old and my heart raced for approximately 4 days thereafter. Turns out that it had exaccerbated a heart rhythm problem incurred in childhood by rheumatic fever. I had never had any effects prior to that episode. Nowadays, if someone uses A.N. near me and I whiff the vapour, it accelerates my heartbeat. It is a drug and should be treated with great caution!

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
donkeyboy9 said:
...my heart raced for approximately 4 days thereafter. Turns out that it had exaccerbated a heart rhythm problem incurred in childhood by rheumatic fever. I had never had any effects prior to that episode. Nowadays, if someone uses A.N. near me and I whiff the vapour, it accelerates my heartbeat. It is a drug and should be treated with great caution!
The "original" poppers were amyl nitrite, in a glass ampule wrapped in cotton, and used as an emergency measure by rescue and ER workers to treat certain heart conditions. It drastically and immediately dilates blood vessels. The medical personnel would squeeze the ampule until the glass broke, hence the name "poppers." The recreational version in the little brown bottles was originally butyl nitrite. As the federal government tried to curb its usage by outlawing certain components, the manufacturers would make slight changes - just as happens with "designer" drugs. The most recent legislation concerning inhalants tried to get a step ahead, by outlawing a class of compounds, rather than specifics. At this point, you can't be really sure exactly what you are getting. Since they are "illegal" in the US, the labelling is not regulated, and may or may not be accurate. Most of them do still contain some type of nitrite of a simple alcohol, along with some of the pure alcohol.

Donkeyboy, I'm sorry you had to find out the hard way about recreational use of potent chemicals - but thanks for pointing out that my previous post is accurate.

B_Hung Muscle

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
jeff black said:

There's so much for you to learn, Jeff. Come sit on my papa's lap. I'll tell you some stories that will grow hair on your chest.

D_Sheffield Thongbynder

Experimental Member
Media
DC's post, as always, is informative. I have never used them nor do I intend to. A gay friend of mine ended up with a serious addiction, be it psychological or physical, to them, and his experience was enough to deter me. Besides, I don't feel a need to heighten what is already a damn fine experience without chemicals.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
I used them, frequently, for several years, and I would acknowledge an eventual dependency on them. Without them, something was missing.

At the same time, I developed (mild) asthma.

Did the poppers cause the asthma? I'll never know. I had been told years before that I had some asthmatic tendencies anyway.

But I can't believe they helped.

Also, poppers in North America are now so weak as to render their use almost pointless.

Haven't used them for years and I'm sure I never will again.

Sklar

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
This thread brings up a pet peeve of mine. I don't know if poppers are popular with straight people but in regards to the gay community, there seeems to be this attitude that if it feels good, do it. Don't worry about the consequences.

People seem to think that because poppers intensifies the sex that there is nothing wrong with it and get offended if you point out that it's still a dangerous drug.

People seem to go on and on about doing things in moderation will make it ok or lessen the dangers of it but if you do a dangerous thing in moderation, YOU ARE STILL DOING A DANGEROUS THING!.

Hello, McFly!

I'm not sure if this attitude is a result of the "me" generation or of people who don't take the time to learn about it. But it is down right scary!

We are not invulnerable.

LPCurious

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Macarion said:
Well this isn't really anonymous is it?

It still is in a sense since most of us here are using our 'aliases'.

LPSG truly is a support group. I can't promise not to use poppers in the future but everytime i think of using one, i will think twice before doing it.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Kissing a guy who has just inhaled poppers is the same as kissing an open bottle of nail polish remover. That is the breath of one who inhales video head cleaner. Not very sexy. Not very sexy at all.

I hope that you are really getting over poppers and quit for good. Inhalants are no joke.

rabidrabbit

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
NineInchCock_160IQ said:
I'm a popper addict. They're just so tasty with that broncoberry sauce. I can't resist them.

Jalepeno poppers don't count.
Besides, broncoberry sauce tastes like crap with those!