Popular US fashion brands for dudes !?

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by ThaiDude, Jan 7, 2012.

1. ThaiDude

ThaiDude New Member

Hi everybody ...

Which fashion brands are popular at the moment in the States?
    I'd like to get information about all the brands worn by men in their late 20s / early 30s ...

I live in Germany .... no idea about US fashion ...

I hope you guys can help me! :smile:

2. D_Anna_Wreckzia

D_Anna_Wreckzia Account Disabled

Well, im not too into name brands really. I dress pretty business casual (shirt/tie/cardigan combo's). Jordan's are always in in my particular community as far as streetwear. Levi jeans are pretty good all around. It really depends on your individual style. Of course the big designers like Ralph Lauren/Louis Vuitton/Gucci/ect. are always in, but a bit pricey in my opinion. Hope i was able to help some.

3. ColonialBoy

ColonialBoy Member

The Daily Prep: Preppy Wardrobe Essentials for Men
    College Trad
    www.theivyleaguelook.blogspot.com
    http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?41-Andy-s-Trad-Forum

I'm into preppy/trad fashion.

- timeless - what was popular preppy wear in 1980 is the same as now; who knows what hipster will be next year but you can still wear the same preppy clothes you buy today, in 10 years
    - cheap
    - looks for formal & informal occasions
    - historically interesting
    - Uniquely American
    - give a 'whole look' from shoes/pants/shirt/watch/haircut.
    - if you do it right nobody knows what you are doing. You just look 'fashionable'.

4. B_thickjohnny

B_thickjohnny New Member

The look of guy's clothing in the US is TOTALLY different than that of Europe unless you're shopping at H&M or Zara. Jeans here in the US seem to be larger through the leg and hips than in Europe - many of my European friends won't buy US pants/jeans because of this. They prefer the slimmer cut of Euro pants/jeans. The closest thing might be Abercrombie and Fitch jeans.

Then there's the size phenomenon. Medium in the US is large in Europe. Go figure! Maybe that's why pants are larger through the legs and seat.

Oh, then there's that damn pleat thing in the US. You can't find pleats in Europe anymore but they continue to haunt us in the States. Go flat front boys!!

5. OscarM

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I like Esprit - a) because their clothes fit me better b) because i like their material (more comfy). Other brands don't seem to fit so well, and found the fabric is less comfortable.

Honorable mentions for me are my favourite Mexx and CK jeans.

If you're looking for what to buy, my suggestion is go out and try stuff on regardless of brand. If you like it, buy it. If you're not sure, you probably won't be comfortable wearing it in public! It's less about brands and more about what looks good on you.

6. D_Ivana_Bhig-Dicke

D_Ivana_Bhig-Dicke New Member

H&M and Zara are the best for me. Slim fitting for my slender frame and the price is right. The the selection at both gives a man the option to dress to his own style and personality.

7. distance

distance Member

People in the US don't seem especially brand loyal any more. It's more about what's on sale at the larger department stores, unless one has the budget for designer specialty stores. Perhaps something like Tommy Hilfiger or Abercrombie and Fitch would be found in German cities. Also, of course, if you are in Berlin, KaDeWe has American styles (I've seen Levi's and Dockers and such on sale there), or if you're in a different area, most cities I've been in have a comparable large kaufhaus.

8. ThaiDude

ThaiDude New Member

Abercrombie opened his FIRST store in Dusseldorf 4 weeks ago!
    Abercrombie is still very very exclusive here in Germany, whereas H&M can be found everywhere .... I live in Cologne .... I guess we have four or five stores here.

9. eurotop40

Gold Member

Hahaha, you are right. You can imagine, I am XL in Europe and when I wanted to buy my first XL in the US I was swimming in it...

10. DQSundae

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I see a lot of A&F, Aeropostale, Hollister, American Eagle. Ralph Lauren Polo always in style. I think Nautica and Dior appeal to an older crowd. Tommy Hilfiger seems kinda "want to appear to be better than I am". Levi's are always in. Nike is always cool. Diesel jeans are hot. Only wear expensive cologne. Use deodorant/antiperspirant that is unscented. No speedos in the states unless you have a smoking hot bod to wear them on.

And, call your mother regularly, she'll appreciate it.

11. spoon

Gold Member

Albums:
    people that i know will avoid the clothes in which have their brand names and logos all over the clothes. a bit tacky and---paying allot for these clothes and becoming a walking billboard.

Colonial Man (IMHO) has best advice.

<<<<<The Daily Prep: Preppy Wardrobe Essentials for Men
    College Trad
    The Ivy League Look
    http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...y-s-Trad-Forum

I'm into preppy/trad fashion.

- timeless - what was popular preppy wear in 1980 is the same as now; who knows what hipster will be next year but you can still wear the same preppy clothes you buy today, in 10 years
    - cheap
    - looks for formal & informal occasions
    - historically interesting
    - Uniquely American
    - give a 'whole look' from shoes/pants/shirt/watch/haircut.
    - if you do it right nobody knows what you are doing. You just look 'fashionable'. >>>>>>>>

the preppy look was called the ivy league look. some of these stores: L. L. Bean, J. Crew, and Dockers. certain looks are "timeless" and should be included. a nice white button down shirt, blazer, good shoes--loafers.

list of ideas:
    Jeans: a true American classic. Weather they are Seven&#8217;s or Levis
    Sunglasses
    Flip Flops
    Fry boots
    sneakers
    White shirt: any white shirt that fits you the way you like.
    A bomber jacket: something basic like what Amelia Earhart wore when she crossed the Atlantic.
    A fisherman&#8217;s sweater: sometimes called an Irish sweater.

12. n52b30

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    It really depends on the area of the US too.

13. DQSundae

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Stay out of Walmart clothes and you should be fine.

14. spoon

Gold Member

Albums:
    a PLAIN tshirt and pair of jeans.

15. redneckgymrat

Gold Member

i could argue taste, but his question was about what is *popular.* It doesn't get much more popular than the stuff from WalMart.

What is trendy will be obvious to you, just by looking around any decent department store. But, try to stay away from the extreme trends.

16. B_thickjohnny

B_thickjohnny New Member

LOL don't go to Prague. If you don't have some logo on you you're not cool. Guys there are covered in them. Fake Gucci belts, fake Prada sunglasses, fake LV bags, fake Tommy shirts, fake Diesel jeans, fake LV wallets, fake Rolexs.... you name it, they have it. All fake from the Chinese markets.

Girls do it too. It's an amazing phenomenon.

And when they come to the US and see the real prices the laugh and ask why people pay that when they can have fake.

17. spoon

Gold Member

Albums:

they probably do laugh looking at the cost of the real deal in the states. i've never been one for designer duds. altho, i would like to visit prague at some point.

18. Artzyguy

Artzyguy Member

Ralph Lauren is TIMELESS, I have been wearing Ralph since I was 12 and now 44. I love his preppy style as well as it will never go out of style. Also love Gucci horsebit loafers, Hermes belts, Louis Vuitton shoes, belts, Armani, Versace & Dolce & Gabbana suits.

19. Artzyguy

Artzyguy Member

People who buy the knockoff LV, Gucci, Prada ect... are all supporting terrorism around the world.

20. tamati

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Since fashion repeats itself, just go to thrift store and buy stuff thats 25-30 years old and you wil be more styling than any fasionista that spent 50 times more on the "current" trends.

Draft saved Draft deleted