Possible solution?

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
OK, hear me out.

I think a part of the recent problem is that some people who SHOULD have been removed did not get removed.

But how do people get removed without there being all sorts of problems?

We all acknowledge that this place is a theocracy, oops, I mean a benign monarchy (Rob-E, that was a joke! honest!).

But sometimes, a little democracy does a little bit of good.

Here's my suggestion:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Put in a reporting system. When people are assholes, report them to a moderator.

When someone gets reports from, say, 10 different people, they get a warning.

When a person gets reports from a total of 25 different people (including the first ten), they get a temporary ban.

When/if they come back, the counter is reset. Again, they get a warning at five or ten reports.

But the second time they accumulate 25 reports from different people, that's it, they're outta here.

- - - - - - - -

It might be difficult to administrate, but maybe there's software out there that could automate this. In which case, nobody ever needs to be the bad guy. It's all automatic.

- - - - - - - -

For example, I got a pm from someone tonight -- a very recent member -- saying: "well...a red head.I just never got along with redheads especially size queenys."

I haven't got a clue who this person is, or why he felt like he had to send me a nasty pm.

Well, under the new system, I could just report him to the mods, and take my mind off of it.

- - - - - - - - -

Comments?

No_Strings

Expert Member
Media
I don't know about warnings, but whenever I see an underage member I report the post, and usually within an hour I get a reply from a moderator in my PM inbox thanking me, and the offending member gets banned. I personally haven't used it for other things that I recall, but it seems to me that people are afraid of the 'report post' feature.

That said, moderating the under-18 rule is a lot simpler than many other aspects of the ToS.

I dunno. :rolleyes::redface:

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I hear ya, NS. I'm not talking about general TOS violations. I'm specifically talking about disruptive members.

In other words, how to decide who's a troll or not?

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
And I just heard from another gal that she received a similar pm.

Well, that would be TWO reports on the guy. (He's starting to sound like a troll, right?)

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I personally think that the whole notion of a TOS invites "skirting" around it... every problem is unique and should be looked at as such. It's not that the moderators are hiding behind the TOS, they might as well be limited by it for all I know. I think that intelligent people like the moderators should be able to exercise discretion at their own will, granted it is the will shared by the majority of the members... it's really rather simple.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What, turn a sombre evening into a sombrero evening?

No way!

Everybody back into your (black) clothes for dog's sake. Ain't no one gonna show any respect around here?

- - - - - - - - -

Agreed Tripod.

But a reporting TALLY system would give us members a little bit of power. Lafever was extremely out of control for literally weeks. A reporting system would have gotten rid of him ages ago.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A reporting TALLY system would give us members a little bit of power. Lafever was extremely out of control for literally weeks. A reporting system would have gotten rid of him ages ago.

I agree, but that just invites 25 trolls to form a union and get good members banned... not that trolls generally work well together, but it has happened around here before...

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
By the way, I know that you can report posts -- I've used that button a number of times. And one time, a moderator, bless him, deleted an extremely despicable post.

However, people get into trouble with one another.

What a mod to do when two or three people are hissing fitting at each other?

No big deal.

But if a person is causing doo doo all over the place, well, it's time to step in and a tally system would flag the truly troublesome members.

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
I honestly used the ignore feature for the first time the other day. Since then I've pretty much been de-clawed. Take away the stimulus and there is nothing to excite my aggressive behaviour. I missed out on some apparently exciting posts.. but it also saved me from being banned for replying in them with my usual antics.

More people should try it, honest.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I agree with the ignore button, TK.

I recently put a couple of people on ignore (and steeled myself to NOT peek), and it was really soothing. And it probably saved me from being banned too!

- - - - - - - -

But trolls can still send nasty pm's -- does putting people on your ignore list block pm's from them?

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I do believe that blocking someone also blocks their PM's.

There was that RepPower thing a few months ago... the sort of General Consensus of a person.. rated them like thumbsup/thumbsdown. eventually it would have gotten to where the knowledgable/likable ppl were on here and the trolls would be gone.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I remember that -- but if I remember correctly, people howled about it. TBH, it made me nervous too!

But you're right, it was a similar thing.

I don't think we received enough information on how it worked. I think it just appeared one day -- and then soon after it disappeared.

Maybe it was something useful after all. Maybe it could be reintroduced with a proper introduction.

swordfishME

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
To me this is not a feasable idea, There are definately cliques here and I have seen on quite a few occassions when the high and mighty here have all jumped on one poster because they dare disagree with one or more member of a particular clique. So the method you are suggesting would then be used for a turf war instead of doing any good.

I do think that the moderating team has been laid back and let the members resolve the issues amongst themselves, that is why the decision to hand out so many temporary suspensions seemed too harsh. IMO, a little more involvement from the moderating team on a daily basis would go a long way. They should have intervened before things got this far. JMHO.

B_dumbcow

Experimental Member
Media
I think that that is a good idea but there may be holes in it.
As said before, a 'union' could be formed to kick people out.
Also, somebody could get reported for the wrong reasons - like posting a link that some people didn't like - but doesn't break the TOS.

Saying that, the moderators should be able to see when someone is unfairly reported. They should also be able to spot those who report just for the sake of stirring things up a bit and maybe their privaleges could be taken away from them.

I feel that with a bit of tweaking here and there, this could be a worthwhile and effective solution to some problems...

*But what do I know? I'm just a dumb cow*