Possibly the Best Reality Show Ever!

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This is an awesome idea! Much better teen pregnancy deterrent and parenting prep then carrying around a raw egg in a basket for 2 weeks, and treating it like a baby, like I had to do in high school.

NBC's upcoming reality series "The Baby Borrowers" is an intriguing new social experiment based on the hit British program that asks five diverse teenage couples -- ages 18-20 -- to fast-track to adulthood by setting up a home, getting a job and becoming caring parents first to babies, toddlers, pre-teens and their pets, teenagers and senior citizens -- all over the course of three weeks.

As the social experiment begins, the five young volunteer couples are asked to literally grow up overnight when they are each given a home in a quiet cul-de-sac outside Boise, Idaho and attend pre-natal classes as each "mother" wears a simulated "empathy" belly to prepare them for the arrival of their "baby."

When a real baby (all aged six-11 months old) appears at their door -- courtesy of five pairs of real volunteer parents (some of whom were teen parents themselves) who entrust their infants to one of the couples -- the nervous, fumbling teens are in for three long, arduous days that make chilling out a distant memory. They must stick to rigid routines, handle the feeding chores, diaper duty and crying jags that might be shared by baby and teens -- all the while under 24-hour supervision by nannies and the real parents who are stationed next door, watching via monitor, and able to step in at any time. Plus, one teen from each of the couples must start a job, ranging from working in a local vet's office to a lumberyard, leaving the other alone as caregiver for the day.

After three surprising, intense days, each teen couple will bid bye-bye to the baby and receive a toddler as their fast-forward adult life progresses. They will have to cope with typical "terrible twos" behavior, including pouty tantrums, potty training and other messes. Three days later, the weary couples must face the reality of parenting several sassy pre-teens/"tweeners" at once -- each with a family pet in tow, adding to their responsibilities.

Seventy-two hours later, the teenagers arrive, thereby perhaps providing them with a mirror image of their own recent relationships with their parents. To complete the cycle of life, the experiment ends with as couples are graced with the opportunity to care for a senior citizen, including some with health issues, who represent what might be in store for them in the distant future.

Through this emotional, dramatic journey, each young couple will get a unique opportunity to peer into the future and see what they (and their partners) might be like if they remain together and decide to build a family. Tested by the everyday ups and downs of taking care of others and maintaining a relationship, most of the teens find themselves looking at all of their relationships and notions of parenthood in a new light.

"The Baby Borrowers" is produced by Love Productions. Richard McKerrow (the U.K.'s "Cirque de Celebrite") and Tom Shelly ("Survivor") are executive producers.

catman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Drat! I was thinking you were going to talk about "I survived a Japanese Game Show".....(have you see the dubbed versions? Laughed til I peed)

(not meaning to take away from your excellent post NJGT...)

Xcuze

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The problem with experiments & tv shows like this is that the real hardcore teens that this type of show is aimed at are the ones least likely to take part or even watch! Teens having babies is about self esteem & needing something to fill a gap in their life. It validates them & gives them a purpose. There are other issues of course; some will have a child just as a way of holding onto some boy. That never works.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I love reality TV and that show sounds awful.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The real parents keep watch from a distance & there's the production team too... Theyre not in any great danger.
There is also a trained nanny in the home at all times. However, the nanny is instructed only to step in if the child is in danger.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
There is also a trained nanny in the home at all times. However, the nanny is instructed only to step in if the child is in danger.

When I first read this I thought it said trans Nanny. Now that's a show I would watch.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Accidents don't usually give a lot of notice. Or maybe I'm just a worry-wart.
You have a point but I'm hoping that the producers will ensure that the home is thoroughly child-proofed and the teens prepped on special requirements for infants prior to them having care of the baby. TV is all about money and I'm sure they don't want to lose their profit due to a lawsuit.

Accidents don't give any notice, true, but that applies to time spent with the real parents, too.

Who knows? Those 72 hours might be the safest of the child's life. I don't believe I said that either but think about it. Accidents tend to happen more often when you're not concerned about the possibility of an accident happening.

On the one hand the real parents who know the drill ("yeah, yeah, I know what I'm doing, I've done this a million times", "What do you mean the baby seat is on the roof of the car?") On the other you have teens who are hyper-aware because they know they'll be under close scrutiny those three days (recorded, no less).

I think the kids will be safe but I'll be keeping my fingers crossed as well.