post content

B_tallbig

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Some members here have made fun of my posts because my grammar and spelling. To me the most important thing of posts is content . What do you guys think ?

B_Monster

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Some members here have made fun of my posts because my grammar and spelling. To me the most important thing of posts is content . What do you guys think ?

I agree tallbig, some peoples (gramar and spiling):eek: arent good, including my own, but we all get the point across. Id also like to see less antagonistic contoversy.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media

Of course content is the most important thing, but if your grammar and spelling suck, that often gives the impression, fairly or not, that you lack smarts ... and your content won't receive the serious attention it might deserve.
If you can't offer good grammar and spelling, then you should do your best while trying to upgrade your mastery of both.
And if you can, you should pay yourself and your readers the respect of actually doing so.

Sixofspades

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The only thing about spelling and grammar is that if they're both off, the content suffers. They're linked to a certain degree. I'll never make fun of anyone for their literacy skills though, because I'm fully aware that I can't add two and two, for example. I have a language-brain and I feel fairly confident that the person who is inferior to me in language is better than me at things like maths and science. Everything's a trade-off, I guess.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I don't want to sound pissy, but I really do take a couple of moments to think about what I want to say and how it could best be expressed. This is partly courteous to whoever reads what I post and partly because I want to seem as persuasive and intelligent as possible. Neither of these is a bad thing.

I also try and limit my paragraphs to fewer than four sentences, which is easier to skim.

Spell-check is built into my Firefox browser and is hard to ignore. Besides, it only takes a minute.

No_Strings

Expert Member
Media
Of course content is the most important thing, but if your grammar and spelling suck, that often gives the impression, fairly or not, that you lack smarts ... and your content won't receive the serious attention it might deserve.
If you can't offer good grammar and spelling, then you should do your best while trying to upgrade your mastery of both.
And if you can, you should pay yourself and your readers the respect of actually doing so.

Agreed.
One could also make the arguement that those who suffer from such poor grammar and spelling that the fact they may be a native english speaker comes into question, then they won't have much good content to post, regardless.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Agreed.
One could also make the arguement that those who suffer from such poor grammar and spelling that the fact they may be a native english speaker comes into question, then they won't have any good content to post regardless.

And one could be wrong. Some of the most intelligent and interesting people I know are dyslexic and / or have other communication problems (written and otherwise).

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Agreed.
One could also make the arguement that those who suffer from such poor grammar and spelling that the fact they may be a native english speaker comes into question, then they won't have much good content to post, regardless.
What? So, in essence, you are saying that the only persons who will have anything of value to post must have English as their primary language. That is an out and out absurdity. Many of the finest thoughts have come from people who do not speak any English and also from those who have learned it as a secondary language.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
What? So, in essence, you are saying that the only persons who will have anything of value to post must have English as their primary language. That is an out and out absurdity. Many of the finest thoughts have come from people who do not speak any English and also from those who have learned it as a secondary language.

I don't think that's what he was saying at all. He was referring, I believe, to native English speakers who write English with such poor grammar and spelling that one might find it hard to believe they were indeed native English speakers. N_S isn't a bigot like that, despite being English!!:eek::eek:

(I however AM a bigot - as that last sentence clearly demonstrates :tongue:)

B_tallbig

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The truth is that english isnt my first language. If someone write in my language i focus in the content rather than grammar and spelling. I will not think that a person is dump or stupid because some mistakes in grammar and spelling.

ruperty

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
it really shouldn't make any difference how good or bad someones SPAG is. if you can understand what someone is trying to say, then there's no problem. have you actually been getting comments on your grammar?

B_tallbig

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
it really shouldn't make any difference how good or bad someones SPAG is. if you can understand what someone is trying to say, then there's no problem. have you actually been getting comments on your grammar?

Yes by several members

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

I've never heard of it referred to as SPAG before... but I think I prefer to call it GASP! It sounds so much more... thrilling!

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
The easiest way to convey a good post is to use spell-check and grammar checks. I suck a grammar... there is no way around that, but spelling is unforgivable.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Some members here have made fun of my posts because of my grammar and spelling. To me the most important thing of a post is content . What do you guys think?
I agree, however I often have to read your posts 3 and 4 times before I understand the thought you are trying to convey. I admit at first I thought you were American and dropped out of school in the 7th grade. After awhile it became clear that

Of course content is the most important thing, but if your grammar and spelling suck, that often gives the impression, fairly or not, that you lack smarts ... and your content won't receive the serious attention it might deserve.BINGO! That was what I first thought.
If you can't offer good grammar and spelling, then you should do your best while trying to upgrade your mastery of both. That would be so much appreciated!

NO! That is not at all what was meant! Sheesh, you sure have warped things out of proportion.