post content

sbeBen

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Some members here have made fun of my posts because my grammar and spelling. To me the most important thing of posts is content . What do you guys think ?
I have seen worse:wink: Some people just love to pick fault. Maybe it is a sign they are unhappy with themselves. There is an ecception of course ie: the recently banned mobilephoneumpalumpa or somethin who was a total wanker with a bad attitude and deserved everything he got. His posts were unreadable!:eek:

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Faulty spelling and grammar are to some extent just a regrettable lack of skill, like being bad with numbers or bad at reading maps. But they can also show a lack of consideration for one's readers, namely when they force readers to do extra work to figure out what the writer meant to say. Even if you care nothing for proprieties, you should accept responsibility for making your meaning clear, and not put your readers to the trouble of working it out because you could not be bothered to do it yourself. (Addendum: The pronoun "you" here does not refer to the original poster.)

sbeBen

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Faulty spelling and grammar are to some extent just a regrettable lack of skill, like being bad with numbers or bad at reading maps. But they can also show a lack of consideration for one's readers, namely when they force readers to do extra work to figure out what the writer meant to say. Even if you care nothing for proprieties, you should accept responsibility for making your meaning clear, and not put your readers to the trouble of working it out because you could not be bothered to do it yourself. (Addendum: The pronoun "you" here does not refer to the original poster.)
I agree, but only in more severe cases. I have had no problem with Tallbig's posts or threads. It has to be noted that not everone intends to be inconsiderate. So what if it shows a lack of skill?

T-Lex

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Spelling and grammar errors just grate me a little; and unfortunately, it does call into question the intelligence of the person making those mistakes. I know that's not fair, but it's really hard to take a post seriously when it is riddled with mistakes.

I'm not the smartest guy on the planet (by far!) and intellectual snobs grate on me even more than spelling errors, so I try not to blatantly correct others when they make those mistakes...however, I will try to do so in a subtle manner (for example, in my response, I will repeat the word, only with the correct spelling). I try to approach it from a perspective of teaching, instead of pointing out that the writer has made a mistake in an attempt to make them look stupid.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It has to be noted that not everone intends to be inconsiderate.

How is that of any relevance? You can't intend to be inconsiderate: lack of consideration is not itself an intentional act, but is the lack of certain intentional acts, such as taking account of one's obligations and of the needs of others.

sbeBen

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
How is that of any relevance? You can't intend to be inconsiderate: lack of consideration is not itself an intentional act, but is the lack of certain intentional acts, such as taking account of one's obligations and of the needs of others.
Great! So theres no problem then!:wink:

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
I've never much liked the self-appointed grammarians at LPSG, but still, how can one go about in life intentionally not giving a damn about such things? I'm terrible at punctuation, but I try to study others who I think are better at it and try to learn from them. I may never become perfect at it, but at least I'm trying to improve my ability. And isn't it still written into the LPSG ToS that proper grammar and spelling are to be used and encouraged here?

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
The problem with allowing spelling and grammar errors to go unchallenged is that there comes a point where they render a post incomprehensible. I'm not saying the OP is at that point now, but I've seen other members post things that were complete gibberish.

BTW, I often wonder why spelling and grammar seem to have gotten worse since the invention of the spell-checker.

T-Lex

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The problem with allowing spelling and grammar errors to go unchallenged is that there comes a point where they render a post incomprehensible. I'm not saying the OP is at that point now, but I've seen other members post things that were complete gibberish.

Agreed, although I don't know if "challenging" a spelling error is the best approach. I think you can point it out without being mean-spirited and while still preserving the dignity of the poster (in most cases). It's all in the delivery.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
Agreed, although I don't know if "challenging" a spelling error is the best approach. I think you can point it out without being mean-spirited and while still preserving the dignity of the poster (in most cases). It's all in the delivery.

But of course. On the flipside, it doesn't help when someone who can't be bothered to proofread their posts immediately takes offense when errors are pointed out to them, however politely.

A final point: Quite a lot of people make an effort to ensure that their posts are readable. Shouldn't the same courtesy be extended to them?

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Hey now, i didnt make fun of you, i just thought of the word gelatinous when i saw the word gelous that you wrote. Hun i wasnt being mean, i just thought gelatinous would be a nerdy word to throw out there. I screw up spelling words all the time. Don't feel bad, people that i PM with constantly correct my spelling.

If i was trying to speak another language, i'd soooooo very much suck at it.

Yorkie

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Some members here have made fun of my posts because my grammar and spelling. To me the most important thing of posts is content . What do you guys think ?
I don't have any problem understanding your posts.It's clear that English isn't your first language and the people poking fun at you probably aren't word perfect in a second language.
The only ones that I would criticise are the people using text (eg. writing "u" instead of "you").That's just laziness.

Defense of mediocrity is indefensible. My brother struggles with dyslexia. He'll write and rewrite, using grammar and spell checkers, until what he writes reads naturally and correctly. He's not stupid in the least and doesn't want the people he corresponds with to think he is. He believes it shows respect and care for the reader to put his best effort into writing whatever he composes.

English is not an easy language and if it is not your first language then it's all the more difficult. Certainly some leeway must be extended to these people but I see no reason why a native English speaker, given modern word processing, cannot bother to try his or her best to express thoughts clearly and coherently. If one is so enamored of one's poor English skills then please don't foist them upon the rest of us and expect us to respect you for it.

American education at its finest. So long as you feel good about your inability to express yourself graciously then it's OK:poke:.