Post Counts and Length of Member(ship)

bustyredhead: Hey everyone! I just realized something...

I joined up here on June 18th. In just over a month, I've made over 200 posts... apparantly, not only am I already in the top 25, but I'm posting a lot more often than everyone else. Uhm... I think I'm jabbering. lol I mean, I'm like 100 posts behind Giggy, but if our rates of posting kept up, I'd be on top of him post-wise faster than I'd be on top... never mind. :D

Anyways, I feel a little weird about it, and even though I'm perpetuating my problem by making another post to bring it up, is this okay? I don't wanna disturb the group or anything. (blush)

Then again, maybe I'm okay and y'all need to post more? lol :)

- Nene (Exercising Her Jaw Muscles)

gigantikok: don't worry about it, sweetie. The more talking the better, this is a support group after all! And look at Hapi Papi, he made 300 post in around 3 weeks

sammygirly: Well, since you asked....

Far be it from me to stop anyone from posting on a thread - I mean, looking at my post count it's obvious that I'm not the silent type either - however, I do tend to find it annoying when I click the "View the last 25 posts" and they're ALL by the same person, and all 1 liners....

Having said that, I enjoy your threads Nene...but you did ask, and I do wish there were less of them (especially repeat responses on a thread, like "person1" "Nene" "person2" "Nene" "person3" "Nene"...ya know?)

But that is just me.

gigantikok: what does it matter, sammygirly? is this some sort of competition to be the top poster? If someone feels the inkling to post, and post one liners at that, it's a free country. It seems a little shallow to be annoyed at someone for simply speaking their mind. Especially in a group such as this, where that is welcome.

7x6andchg: Well, gigantikok, Nene did ask...  ;D

I look at it as a preference as to how one sees a message board - either as more of a back-and-forth conversation with shorter replies, or a longer, more dissertationesque (and yes I did make that word up, thank you very much) type discussion...different strokes, I say (What you talkin' bout, NeNe?)

One thing I enjoy about this board is the melange of the two styles - it makes for interesting and often witty reading.

7x6&C

Besides if it were a competition - the early money is on DMW. :D

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
Don't get so offended, Gigantikok. Nene did ask...

I remember I first tuned into discussion forums when I had to join and post to one for a college class. That was part of our participation grade; we had to contribute to or devise a new topic at least three times a week total, and a stipulation was that we couldn't go the "one-liner" route. We had to post something of substance; the guideline was something to the effect of, "Don't bother posting unless you feel confident in knowing that the person who reads your words will feel compelled to make a response, good or bad." And by bad, I don't mean, "Your post sucks."

But I was an English major a long time ago who turned to the sun and decided philosophy was a better vocation, both of which demand solid, well-thought, and substantial writing skills. No fluff allowed. So perhaps beng trained for a few years in higher education, I have a level of personal and interpersonal expectation. I think I write pretty well; and you know, I wouldn't blast someone for misspelling words or using Internet speak (i.e. LOLs, emoticons, etc.) instead of good grammar, but I still catch myself frowning a bit or glossing over the post instead of reading it fully.

And also, I learned that it's more important not to dominate a conversation -- though I'm still working on that. The bisexuality thread and some of the crap between DMW and I -- well, obviously, I spoke up more than enough.

My point is, I don't think it's wrong to read the LPSG with some standards. And I commend Sammy for stepping up and saying her honest opinion; from what I gathered, Nene hasn't yet reacted negatively to what she said, just like I don't get too worried with posters who are trying to write as much as possible, even if their individual posts aren't all that thorough or well-written. Like I said, I almost always ignore the latter so it really doesn't bother me.

And thus, two standards to keep in mind?
1. Don't dominate a conversation if it can be avoided.
2. Use Microsoft Word for spell-checking and grammar, maybe.

[Caffeine jitters!]

bustyredhead: (bites her lower lip) Well, I pretty much asked with the expectation of that type of reaction. I guess I do tend to shoot my mouth off a bit much. lol I'm probably worse in real life. Anyways, not all of my posts are so short... I think I've written some fairly thoughtful things. Anyways, I guess I can try to cut back on my commentaries a bit. I don't wanna detract from the group. (blush) Sorry.

- Nene (...)

sammygirly: Gig, I wasn't attacking her really - I was honestly answering her question. I believe I did say that I enjoy her posts as well and that I wasn't asking her to cut her posts entirely.

She seemed to want honesty - I'm not looking to start a fight

gigantikok: I wasn't really that offended, sorry if it came off that way. I can get a little passionate sometimes. But yea, it's cool that u spoke ur honest opinion.

shit, another one liner. haha

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
I wouldn't use Word. It translates quotes and apostrophes into its own character set, which YaBB can't read. The result of unreadable (as well as unprintable) characters is one of the following:
  • Question marks
  • Those charming rectangles, commonly referred to as "cokebottles"
  • Strings like =20 or something equally cryptic
Most users don't know about it, so it's the great equalizer: Even Nobel Prize winners look like morons.

bustyredhead: What would be more beneficial to you as a person in the long run, however, would be to pick up a grammar book, and make sure you know those rules and things without having to trust a grammar checker that really can't handle the real world overly well. I've tried to do that, and it's pretty cool. However, I have to admit that only Word '97 ever caught me on to what a passive voice is, and it doesn't even have to do with D/s! :)

- Nene ('s Voice Had Been Passive)

awellhungboi: We have a culture which has become remarkably textual. Mainly because of forums like this one, blogs, Instant Messaging, etc.  Very little of this writing is done in 'the Queen's English,' but so what?  The vernacular, the idiosyncratic, and the colloquial are the life's blood of language, the force that flows through the veins of poetry and prose.  I enjoy, of course, reading coherent, well-thought out posts that are written with precision and coherency (like yours always are, Dee), but if someone writes 'there' when he or she means 'their'--no big deal, I get the drift.  After all, we ain't refuting Hegel here.  

Which probably sounds pedantic, but it's late, and I've had the worst day ever.

You should post as often, and as spontaneously, as you feel like, Nene.  I hope you, or anyone else, won't become all self-conscious about posting. Then you'll be just a quasi-lurker like me!

(And I always have to triple-check my writing for passive voice--it's like I just write that way instinctively.  It sucks.)

H8Monga: And this is one reason why I stick around, INTELLIGENT PEOPLE!

Oops one-liner... now two... all's well! ::)

bustyredhead: [quote author=monstro link=board=99;num=1058867203;start=0#12 date=07/22/03 at 22:35:47]You should post as often, and as spontaneously, as you feel like, Nene.  I hope you, or anyone else, won't become all self-conscious about posting.  Then you'll be just a quasi-lurker like me!

(And I always have to triple-check my writing for passive voice--it's like I just write that way instinctively.  It sucks.)[/quote]

Okay! I'll just try to not inadvertantly hog attention... or whatever it is I'm doing. I'm still sorta confused. Anyways, yeah, I can't help it that I like this place. It's fun. If someone wants to find me another community to overwhelm, feel free. lol ;)

Oh, I used to use passive voice all the time! I can't even remember how to speak in a passive voice now, though. lol Well... I can, but still. This post will be made longer by my rambling, so I'll stop that.

- Nene (The Midnight Rambler)

Synergistic

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Hmmm, I haven't made very many posts, but never really had much to say. My sensei used to say I was a man of few words, a man of action.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Okay, as a Master of Arts in English Literature, I must admit that some misspellings make me cringe. A few have hurt my linguistic sensibilities critically. Most of them don't bother me much. What bothers me more are those posts that read like interminable run-on sentences they have no punctuation i see them and think wow that person's keyboard doesn't have any punctuation marks i can sometimes decipher them and figure out where to separate them however sometimes putting the appropriate mark in the wrong place can change the entire meaning of the sentence i don't always know which meaning the author intended i therefore tend to just skip those posts ... know what I mean?

Passive voice can be a useful construction. Sometimes, it's a necessary one. However, it can at times detract stylistically. For example, "The bull charged at the toreador," is more gripping than, "The toreador was charged at by the bull." Save passive voice for when you want to read like a news broadcast.

gigantikok: I don't really see misspellings as a big deal, Dee, as long as the gist comes across. But then who am I to talk, i misspell stuff all the time! Even then, i can understand how you are annoyed by bad punctuation and spelling... anyone who goes through years and years of schooling to learn about the English language would be a lil perturbed to see how bad the average American writes.

bustyredhead: I talk like I type. I dunno why, but I guess my brain's all set up for putting things together 'properly'. That's why I tend to like using and reading things written with a decent application of grammar. I get totally thrown off when people use commas wrong or refuse to use them at all. But I'm goofy like that. lol

- Nene (Wonders If nlatimer Knows A Priest)

(EDIT: I guess putting the sentence together about how my brain works improperly counts as dramatic irony. lol)

Javierdude22: Hm...well...i know and have admitted oftentimes that i misspell like theres no tomorrow. I also use slang, and smileys, and lol and whatever. In part the misspellings can be explained by the fact that im not a native english speaker, in part also cause im lazy as hell. My typing aint all that and i hate to go back and correct, unless the meaning really doesnt come across. But, i think in general, people understand what im saying.

I use smileys, or lol or whatever, cause i like to put a certain emotion into my posts. Oftentimes people get the wrong idea from a post, they think they are being attacked, insulted, or whatever. Smileys, dumb as they may seem (and are) can help get a certain feeling across.

The times a person posts and their content. Hm....look, i like deep conversations...i like meaningfull replies, replies that make me respond, may it be negatively or positively...depends if i would agree. I personally only tend to react if i feel i have something to add to the conversation, i dont like mindless rambling.

Lets put it this way, in real life (as far as this isnt) i kinda stay away from shallow people. Theres a lotta people that talk VERY much...but too many times they have shit plus one to tell me, and oftentimes they have the tendency to stick on you like bad rash. Farting helps in that case...let me tell you  8)

On LPSG i have the same feeling. Luckily, i have to say there are in overall more posts with actually something to say, than vice versa, but there are still many many-why did you write that- posts. If people have something to say, ill be happy to hear it, and i dont care if they use oneliners to do it. BUT, oftentimes you see oneliners of someone who obviously wanted to say something, but really didnt have anything to add to the conversation. My advice is, dont. If you see that two people already said that jerking off is really part of a normal sexlife, why on earth would you wanna be the third person to say the same thing?

But maybe thats me...