Post Potter-um Depression

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Serial Kisser, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Serial Kisser

Serial Kisser Well-Known Member

I just saw the final installment of the Harry Potter series and I'm finding myself suffering from sadness and depression related to the ending of an era. Anyone else feel the same way?

2. mephistopheles

Gold Member

Albums:
    I feel exactly the same.

I am not ashamed to I cried when I read the 7th book(because of the things within and the end of the Potter saga.)

Same with the film. I am so helplessly in love with Potter-lore I don't think I'll ever get over it.

That's not a surprise though, I was part of Scholastics original target audience for these books in 1997.

3. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    No, I'm over it. I did feel that way when I first read book seven, though.

4. DiscoBoy

Gold Member

Likewise.

The films were more of a luxury than anything else, and because they...tended to miss the mark, I was never too invested in them. To be entirely honest, save for the brilliance that is that all-star cast (here's lookin' at you, Rickman), and the awesome special effects, I didn't particularly like this last installment.

SK, I present to you: Pottermore: Register your interest

5. Hoss

Gold Member

Albums:
    Harry who?

Wasn't he the man in charge in MASH when the show went off the air, Col.Potter.

6. ManofThunder

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I've only seen the first three films and haven't read any of the books. So, it doesn't bother me. It is sad to think it's all over, though.

7. Endued

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Pretty sure whatsherface said she's planning on doing shorter episodes in the future, but publish them online. Or something like that.

8. earllogjam

Gold Member

I would like to see the last Harry Potter movie but worried I'd be lost and wouldn't understand the plot since I've only read the first book and seen the first movie.

Will I be lost in this HP part 2 movie without the whole Harry Potter background?

9. ManofThunder

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I could be wrong, but I've heard it is quite in-depth and wraps up a lot of loose-ends, I'd suggest watching/reading the others first. :smile:

10. earllogjam

Gold Member

Thanks MoT, that's what I thought.

11. ManofThunder

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    You're welcome. :smile:

12. Serial Kisser

I cried reading the books as well. I think I was 16 when I got my hands on the first one. I didn't hear any sniffling in the theatre except for my own.

13. NCbear

Gold Member

I can still remember the anticipatory gasp from all the little kids in the COMPLETELY FULL movie theater when the introductory title for the first Harry Potter movie appeared on film and that theme music started.

The whole thing was so evocative of the best moments from the first book that I was hugely impressed and much moved by the experience.

But as the books themselves got darker, the characters in them got older, and really bad things started happening to them (Voldemort and Death Eaters attacking them, their friends' parents being killed, various instances of Death Eater -sponsored terrorism, and family members being killed), I watched the movies "grow up" but also become more difficult to watch. In some ways, I've already had to deal with the emotions stirred up by the psychologically-challenging later books and movies.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I've already had to mourn the loss of innocence of the characters; I've also had to mourn the end of the series, when the Deathly Hallows (book seven) came out. This last movie seemed anticlimactic not only because I knew what was going to happen--and therefore could only look forward to how the story would be represented on the big screen--but also because I'd already undergone that bittersweet ending (i.e., knowing that the HP series had reached its conclusion).

Now I've got a new perspective on HP and friends :tongue: because I'm reading backward and forward in time throughout the entire series, looking for connections across and between and among the individual books.

It's comparable to the ways I now read The Lord of the Rings or The Chronicles of Narnia: I can still remember the freshness of my first reading of particular passages (watching Gollum descend head-first from the Emyn Muil, for example, or Celeborn and Galadriel sailing toward the Fellowship in their gigantic swan boat), while the subsequent readings burnish each impression into an object of beauty over time that combines an initial reaction, the memory of multiple rereadings as that beauty sinks in, some literary analysis of the text as its own reality, some context of the text within history (the history of the real world), and some of the richness of the greater understanding of the text that I've achieved through reading more about the author and the work.

Yes, there's an ending; yes, I've mourned that ending. But now I can approach the series from a new set of perspectives, as I begin what promises to be years of rereadings--which in a way is a new beginning. :smile:

NCbear (who has blathered on a bit here, but who decided to leave this post "as is" because writing it helped me understand my own love of rereading a bit better :rolleyes:)

14. spoon

Gold Member

Albums:
    i just got home from seeing the last potter movie. saw it in imax. theatre was really quiet, but, not many people in the theatre. i wanted to cheer neville when he killed the snake. and, when mrs. weasley had the dual with bellatrix. i'm sad that it's done. i've read "conspiracy theories" about wether rowling actually wrote the book.

15. mephistopheles

Gold Member

Albums:
    That sounds absurd.

16. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:
    You have said a lot here. I agree. Lovers of books revisit the well and expand their appreciation. Reading well is an act of completion where we become collaborators creatively, and great writers leave space for that.

17. DiscoBoy

Gold Member

Great post, NCbear. Definitely enjoyed reading what you had to say.

18. woogexx

woogexx New Member

you need to get a life...

19. FLScubaGuy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I must admit that im pretty sad that its over as well... :\ re reading the books now lol

20. Serial Kisser

Right because reading isn't a form of enrichment and enjoyment for people. No, hanging around a penis website telling other people how to live = much more of a life than I have. Asshat.

Draft saved Draft deleted