Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Asparagus? I think that, and okra will do the same thing. I had a bowl of gumbo and had that happen.

Never had a problem with okra or anything else other than the asparagus. Think there's some kind of enzyme in them that humans weren't made to digest, but I don't eat them often since they are usually more expensive than other veggies.

Reactions: T_Lurch
T

T_Lurch

20210326_170637.jpg

From a local pub: a beef short rib sandwich on ciabatta bread with applewood bacon, chipotle aioli and fixings. Side dish: Hellfire shrimp.

Note: although called Hellfire shrimp, the spiciness was pretty tame. The name Hellfire should imply that the diner's butt will feel like a flamethrower later on.

Enid

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
This isn't dinner but ubered down to a cafe (with patio seating) for Louisiana oysters for lunch

POSSIBLY ordering a poboy with debris to go for later/tomorrow

RPaFBzH.jpg

Call_Me_Dave

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This isn't dinner but ubered down to a cafe (with patio seating) for Louisiana oysters for lunch

POSSIBLY ordering a poboy with debris to go for later/tomorrow

RPaFBzH.jpg
Now I want to go to the Boston waterfront right now for about 4 dozen oysters and beer.

Reactions: Enid and T_Lurch

Call_Me_Dave

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When I am in Boston, I eat 2 dozen oysters without batting an eye. I LOVE good oysters
I watched an oyster eating competition once. It basically looked like what I would eat for lunch if $ weren’t an issue. Look me up next time you’re in town. My fave brewery made a beer for the sole purpose of pairing with oysters.

Reactions: Enid

Enid

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I watched an oyster eating competition once. It basically looked like what I would eat for lunch if $ weren’t an issue. Look me up next time you’re in town. My fave brewery made a beer for the sole purpose of pairing with oysters.

Omg I need to know about this beer

The oysters in Boston make most of what's widely available in Texas look like poppycock.

The Louisiana ones offered at a couple different places are pretty good, MUCH better than gulf oysters. Plus the shrimp poboys=yum

I will let you know if I might be there next year, it's entirely possible if vaccines get normalized, traveling becomes safer, etc. I have friends in Cambridge and greater Boston area. I can TOTALLY down 24 oysters no problem if not more. I don't care for crackers & hot sauce with oysters either, the way Texans do. Ugh. Great oysters are awesome with a teeny squeeze of lemon! No fuckin saltines and hot sauce. Ew

Reactions: Call_Me_Dave

Call_Me_Dave

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Omg I need to know about this beer

The oysters in Boston make most of what's widely available in Texas look like poppycock.

The Louisiana ones offered at a couple different places are pretty good, MUCH better than gulf oysters. Plus the shrimp poboys=yum

I will let you know if I might be there next year, it's entirely possible if vaccines get normalized, traveling becomes safer, etc. I have friends in Cambridge and greater Boston area. I can TOTALLY down 24 oysters no problem if not more. I don't care for crackers & hot sauce with oysters either, the way Texans do. Ugh. Great oysters are awesome with a teeny squeeze of lemon! No fuckin saltines and hot sauce. Ew
Vicinity | Trillium

Reactions: Enid
T

T_Lurch

@Call_Me_Dave @Enid I'm not an oyster eater myself, but they are a staple of restaurants here in Florida. I can't vouch for how they compare to elsewhere though, and a lot of shellfish has become a dicey proposition here since the BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. Course, it could be fine to eat them now; I did just have shrimp recently.

Enid

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
@Call_Me_Dave @Enid I'm not an oyster eater myself, but they are a staple of restaurants here in Florida. I can't vouch for how they compare to elsewhere though, and a lot of shellfish has become a dicey proposition here since the BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. Course, it could be fine to eat them now; I did just have shrimp recently.

I have to say that if you like a fresh brine salt taste of some seafood then you may love New England oysters. Or Canadian oysters. There's a nice firm plop of salt (that will have a flavor of the water they were in), I can't explain it. It's lovely if you like a good seafood taste.

I'm not sure about oysters from down south. I can eat the ones labeled from Louisiana because they taste better than Texas gulf oysters. Also I got way sick off of gulf oysters 10+ years ago, like vibrio vulnificus sick. Yuck!! (You really want oysters from colder waters. They taste much better and are far less prone to vibrio vulnificus bacteria.)

Last edited:
T

T_Lurch

I have to say that if you like a fresh brine salt taste of some seafood then you may love New England oysters. Or Canadian oysters. There's a nice firm plop of salt (that will have a flavor of the water they were in), I can't explain it. It's lovely if you like a good seafood taste.

I'm not sure about oysters from down south. I can eat the ones labeled from Louisiana because they taste better than Texas gulf oysters. Also I got way sick off of gulf oysters 10+ years ago, like vibrio vulnificus sick. Yuck!!
Oh yeah, seafood poisoning is really rough. Some forms of it are lethal.

Call_Me_Dave

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

I'm not sure about oysters from down south. I can eat the ones labeled from Louisiana because they taste better than Texas gulf oysters. Also I got way sick off of gulf oysters 10+ years ago, like vibrio vulnificus sick. Yuck!! (You really want oysters from colder waters. They taste much better and are far less prone to vibrio vulnificus bacteria.)
Fun fact: some of the best oysters I’ve ever eaten were in Ireland. Absolutely massive and delicious.

Reactions: Enid and T_Lurch
T

T_Lurch

20210328_180254.jpg

Chicken tonkatsu. Double breaded in panko crumbs, with katsu sauce (a Japanese BBQ sauce I made with dry mustard, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, soy sauce).

Reactions: Call_Me_Dave