Posters - The Wall Kind

TragicWhiteKnight: Yeah, this minimally size-related, but it's nevertheless of great, vital importance: what posters should I get for my University room next year?

If I see another Dali, Klimt or 'Scarface' print in someone's room, I'll go mad.

So, what's best? Any cheap decorative alternatives?

And to make this question more relevant to the LPSG, would it be appropriate to have a Mapplethorpe-esque picture of a large penis hanging in school accomodation?
[NB: There's no way in hell I'd have male or female nudity on my walls...unless it was incredibly arty and disturbing. But I prefer PG-rated walls]

awellhungboi: Three words: black velvet Elvis.

Or, if you prefer not to have your room look like a trailer here in the American South, Mapplethorpe took a beautiful series of photographs of flowers--wasn't all just big dicks and sadomasochism.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
[quote author=Monstro link=board=meetgreet;num=1062322458;start=0#1 date=08/31/03 at 06:12:00]...Mapplethorpe took a beautiful series of photographs of flowers--wasn't all just big dicks and sadomasochism.
[/quote]

Yeah but all of Mappy's flowers were displaying their stamens for all the world to see! :eek:

Tragic, movie posters aren't awfully plebeian if they are all of one genre. Give a local cinema manager a call and see if you can get some posters from him - they might be free - you'd be surprised how many are just tossed in the dumpster.

Pecker

(I've Got You On My Conscience But At Least You're Off My Back

aj2181: Are you going to be sharing with some other people? If so you may find hanging what you want a problem.

If you do have roomates and they drive you up the walls you might consider the padded cell motif ;)

TragicWhiteKnight: Aj - I've never had roomates to pester, and once again miss out on the opportunity this year. In fact, I'm pretty much living in the Fortress of Solitude, free to do whatever I please. Except change the carpeting, or have pets, or invite too many guests or paste rubber wallpaper.

AnonyMs: My rule of thumb about any decorating is that each piece chosen reflects something about you. Every piece in my house has a story behind it. What do you want people to know about you - if anything - when they step into your room? I always found picking items up from my travels, going to antique stores, and book and paper shows yielded a lot of different treasures that reflect my unique personality.

Of course, I have a friend who is an interior designer who wishes she could redo my house so what do I know... only that which I like!

oo - oo ... maybe this is a new idea for a show similar to Trading Spaces where someone else does your room and you do theirs!

aj2181: [quote author=TragicWhiteKnight link=board=meetgreet;num=1062322458;start=0#4 date=08/31/03 at 11:55:12] I'm pretty much living in the Fortress of Solitude, free to do whatever I please.   [/quote]

That's cool!...bachelor pad! Did I spell that right?? oh well who cares.

I have a few prints of Ansel Adams photographs. He worked in the Sierra Nevada. Most if not all are really nice...if your into landscapes...not much color..all black and white, but still very moving stuff.

Also a fan of Degas nudes...but the impressionists are over done. On the other hand you can buy a cheap Monet print anywhere...they spread like the flu everywhere I go I see Monet prints.

Synergistic

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Well it really depends on what you like, have any fav movies or comic books, as soon as I can get them up on the wall, I have two posters from Mallrats, the blueprints Jay draws to take down the stage, and I have a great poster thats a cover from the Ultimate Spiderman series.

gigantikok: nlatimer, Mall Rats kicks ass! I need to get the blue print poster, too.

In regards to your question:

The name of these types of posters escapes me, and you may think it is overdone, but I love them. They are the French wine/dining posters from a hundred or so years back that you typically see in restaurants. Reprints are really cheap, and I really think they add a sense of class and culture to any living space. I have one of a green devil in ballet shoes dancing around a bottle of wine. It is soooo cool!

Ineligible: Hieronymus Bosch for me.

You can always go to a poster shop and see what you like. But the rarer posters (obviously) are harder to find.

dfox7.3x5: I agree with AJ2181; Ansel Adams is awesome. Also Walker Evans, another B&W photographer whose photos are to the urban experience what Adams was to the great outdoors. B&W is cool. It has a stability that I don't find in a lot of color art.

7x6andchg: G.-

I can't remember the name of those posters either but I like them as well. As a student of la langue francaise I often find them fitting to my space, too.

TWK - as long as you don't get one of those ones they have here on American college campuses - the "life is full of hard choices" one that has a picture of about 30 different beers...that one, to me, has always been a little too stupid.

7x6&C

awellhungboi: Sounds like absinthe advertisements. And I agree, they're pretty cool. Funny, when I was drinking I used to see little green devils in ballet shoes dancing around too--just not on the walls.

gigantikok: :D

Are you sure ALL you were doing was drinking, Monstro? Sounds like someone slipped you a lil acid. ;)

Longhornjok: [quote author=Ineligible link=board=meetgreet;num=1062322458;start=0#9 date=08/31/03 at 16:48:58]Hieronymus Bosch for me.[/quote]
Now there's a happy peppy people kinda dorm room. :D

TragicWhiteKnight: Bosch is good; Mallrats is good (although 90% of my friends violently despise Kevin Smith from seeing 'Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back'...fools). However, I think I've got it sorted; here's a clue...

"It's dogs! And they're playing poker!!!!!"

More seriously, I'm thinking about some 50s exploitation horror movie posters on eBay; but the shipping cost from America is a bitch and a half...I may end up just decorating cocktail napkins and sticking them to the wall with spit.

gigantikok: [quote author=TragicWhiteKnight link=board=meetgreet;num=1062322458;start=0#15 date=09/01/03 at 10:55:54]
"It's dogs!  And they're playing poker!!!!!"
.[/quote]
I've got that poster hanging on my wall!! I LOVE that painting! :)

Longhornjok: TWK, since you're talking about a dorm room, I think you can still get that cute kitten-hanging-off-the-tree-branch one, something about Friday. ;)

TragicWhiteKnight: [quote author=Longhornjok link=board=meetgreet;num=1062322458;start=0#18 date=09/01/03 at 21:21:06]TWK, since you're talking about a dorm room, I think you can still get that cute kitten-hanging-off-the-tree-branch one, something about Friday.  ;)[/quote]

I'm not sure a poster of a hung kitten is my kind of thing. In either sense of the word.