Postmen being nosy or curious over packages they deliver

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by gaybriel, May 20, 2011.

1. gaybriel

gaybriel Member

I'm wondering whether postmen ever pay attention to the contents of the items they deliver, whether by checking the customs declaration, name of sender or giving the package a rattle like a kid before Christmas day?

Or are they too busy and handle too many packages to care?

2. nubnlrd

nubnlrd New Member

Albums:
    Having worked for the postal service let me say they are way too busy to care. And they have seen it all.

3. Big_Bi_Brit

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    HMRC are *FAR* more interested what is in your packages and whether the customs declaration is accurate...

4. gaybriel

gaybriel Member

Well these were posted within the UK and EU and were not subject to inspection unless they were suspecting illegal items.

On two occasions when I've ordered adult items the packages were torn along one corner, big enough to get a good peek. Never happened to other packages I have received. I just thought it was more than a simple coincidence.

5. TaigaStar

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yahoo had some article a few months ago that boasted to show that the local post carriers actually do stuff like put possible check envelopes in front of bills, etc., but I'd only presume that to be in really small towns. I happen to be very friendly with my postal carrier and the only times he's acknowledged what was in the mail was the day he told me I got my tax return (one of many I'm sure he delivered that day), and once before that where he said I had a package (which he knew I was waiting for) when I saw him on the street.

Other than that, I don't think they either care nor have the time to be that nosy.

6. koval

Gold Member

I've posted packages from Ireland to some cousins in the US in the past and believe me when I say that in their town the postal workers do tend to pry into the contents of these packages. Some gifts have even been so far as taken from them (btw, I never post naughty stuff :) ).

One parcel even arrived held together with string/cord at one stage after having the box ripped open and they said that is how it arrived in the country (as if) with $100 worth of gifts taken from it.

So in short, the answer is yes.

7. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Because he wants to fuck you.

8. B_bi_mmf

B_bi_mmf New Member

I've been curious about the postman's package.

9. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

Nah, most of them couldn't give a fuck. You only happen upon that 1-2% of them that need to placate their curiosity by inquiring.

10. B_BENDERBOY

B_BENDERBOY New Member

For the last six years i've worked at my local posting office to cover the xmas deliveries,and let me tell you hundreds of pounds are stolen every week,never ever send actual money through ordinary post,at xmas the guy's call it thier xmas bonus

11. gaybriel

gaybriel Member

I once got a letter with some newspaper clippings featuring a relative attached and that arrived opened because it felt as if someone had attached a wad of cash in it. To be fair only an idiot would put cash in regular post but I can imagine the disappointment of the postman who opened that letter of mine.

If you get a parcel from abroad there is always a possibility that it has been opened for inspection but I believe they should always reseal it securely not hold it together with a string.

12. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    you are not suppose to mail currency. not sure if it's a law.

I purchased pills over the internet and yes the mail carrier was aware what it was and that it came from India.i
    I simply ignored her when she mentioned it. By the way, they were marvelous.

13. B_BENDERBOY

B_BENDERBOY New Member

Of course your not supposed to mail cash,but at xmas i'm afraid it's a lot of grandparents posting £5-£10 to the grandkids.

14. killerb

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I've worked for both the USPS & an overnight delivery firm & yes, sometimes ppl get curious & shake packages...also, the overnight delivery company had strict rules regarding perishables & sometimes packages would actually have to be opened & inspected....especially the undeliverables...

Draft saved Draft deleted