Pot Legalized in 2010 ?!

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I think the alcohol and tobacco industries will flex their lobbying muscles and keep pot illegal.

Probably. If pot and prostitution were legalised they could tax both to the hilt and pay off a huge chunk of our national deficit though I think that can be filed under "wishful thinking".

Pendlum

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I think I hate the name Perez Hilton.

It should be legal, but I'm not looking forward to the day it does get legalized. Everyone will fucking STINK. Good, bad, I don't care, it all smells terrible. It permeates everything too. I'll have to wear a glade plug in for my face or something.

FlowerChick

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It should be legalized. Anyone who wants it now can easily get it. And just because it becomes "legalized," I suspect there would NOT be any significant increase in demand, rather it would become mainstream like alcohol, and we would be subject to various laws, ie, no drinking and driving, must have a "license" to sell liquor, limited alcohol licenses by various counties, no "open" containers, etc.

Remember "smoking" sections in high school? Do those still exist in schools today? I graduated from high school in 1980 and the kids who wanted to smoke did, I don't think the existence of the section encouraged "smoking" but was a way of dealing with the issue at hand for the time. And I grew up in a very small town, rural, conservative town in Ventura County, still California though.

Pendlum

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Cigarettes are not allowed in high schools (I would guess most if not all high schools). We actually signed an agreement saying we wouldn't bring them, along with other substances, weapons, what have you on campus, including the bus. That doesn't stop a lot of people of course. Hell, half if not more of the FFA members carried pockets knives. Which always bugged me because there was never a use for them, all they ever did was flick them out to stab a piece of paper or some stupid shit. A lot of them would chew on campus too, and chew is just gross. Blech.

cdarro

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I could see it happening here in Canada before anywhere in the US. Well, maybe California, yeah. It was almost decriminalized here in 2004, but the government fell and the bill died in Parliament. But if you were caught with a small amount, it's unlikely the police would do anything other than confiscate it. And probably smoke it themselves.

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Here in Cali they are attempting legalization via public referendum. That's harder for the tobacco and alcohol lobby to control. There are three separate propositions in the works. I think it could happen. Even Ahhh-nold does not seem opposed.
Supposedly, this would mean that the Feds could no longer compell state and local police to help with enforcement making the federal laws largely irrelevant here.
Dave
Dave

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It's a clear violation of our natural rights for the government to tell us what chemicals we can and cannot ingest.

They're not telling you that you can't put anything in your body.
Nobody has been arrested for merely being high at home... but they have been arrested for possession. MAJOR difference.

cdarro

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, a tax is to be expected, I would imagine. Huge potential revenue.

Yes, this would be a great way to fight budget deficits, wouldn't it? Not to mention the money that would no longer be spent on interdiction, prosecution and incarceration. An idea that's long overdue.