Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Congratulations Canada.

One more reason to love our neighbor to the north :heart:

The rest of the world should pay attention, and follow along. :sun:

The pace of legalisation is slowly picking up at the moment. Legal in Canada, legal in Uruguay, legal in several US states and "tolerated" (de facto legal) in the Netherlands. Along with other alternatives to prohibition like in Portugal (decriminalisation of personal possession of all drugs), which has also been very successful. I think the trend is being kicked off properly with this, there'll be more milestones within the next decade I'm sure.

Reactions: Tight_N_Juicy

Looking at things from a sporting perspective...if pot, dope, weed is becoming more widely accepted..ok. But, then, why do we heavily scrutinize drugs in sport?

At some point a human can only run or swim so fast, jump so high or shoot so straight.

Who draws the line? Weed does not agree with everyone. My first wife suffered Bi-Polar. Her use of weed further complicated the issues.

Long story short, who picks up the pieces of drugs easily available? The general community, the taxpayer?

If it becomes legal,or if it has, should the community as a whole be held accountable or should there be a tax on the users alone?.

Just like gambling....I firmly believe that gambling institutions should solely fund rehabilitation of addiction. Those who have no interest in it, should not pay.

Insurance companies do it, why not governments?

englad

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Looking at things from a sporting perspective...if pot, dope, weed is becoming more widely accepted..ok. But, then, why do we heavily scrutinize drugs in sport?

At some point a human can only run or swim so fast, jump so high or shoot so straight.

Who draws the line? Weed does not agree with everyone. My first wife suffered Bi-Polar. Her use of weed further complicated the issues.

Long story short, who picks up the pieces of drugs easily available? The general community, the taxpayer?

If it becomes legal,or if it has, should the community as a whole be held accountable or should there be a tax on the users alone?.

Just like gambling....I firmly believe that gambling institutions should solely fund rehabilitation of addiction. Those who have no interest in it, should not pay.

Insurance companies do it, why not governments?

Vibbzy, the illegal drugs are *already* easily available, they just aren't regulated and controlled, i.e. they do not exist in the official economy. That means they don't provide any tax revenue and they're a revenue source for organised crime. They already cost the tax payer without providing revenue. The virtue of them being illegal does not equal they don't exist and aren't used in large numbers. If there is a demand for a drug, the supply will be created to meet that demand. It is far better for all that if the supply is regulated, controlled and taxed. These businesses don't exist in a vacuum, they generate revenue and tourism, and they pay taxes. All of this helps local economies and this does translate to other businesses getting boons due to the legalisation of a drug like cannabis.

We already have two drugs that are perfectly legal in the vast majority of countries around the world, which are far more harmful. Alcohol and tobacco. The former is responsible for 5% of ALL deaths worldwide (without even going into all the other ramifications of alcohol usage, like violence and A&E visits), and the latter kills half of all lifelong addicts. Both of these rank as considerably more dangerous than a number of other illegal drugs, including but not limited to cannabis, LSD, ecstasy and magic mushrooms. As for anecdotes on bipolar people, I've known several whose drinking deeply complicated their mental health problems.

If we focus purely on money, whom should we sue to get back the billions of wasted revenue on a futile drug war that's ended up incarcerating millions of people for something that should have always been treated as a public health issue, rather than as a criminal justice issue?

liquiss

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Remind me: is Canada America's attic or is America Canada's basement? :cool:

whpOQ.jpg

Reactions: halcyondays

canuck_pa

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Interesting responses. I thought people would pick-up on the probability of the Canadian government loosing money.
One problem here is each province will regulate the distribution system. For example in BC, where I live, right now there is only one location to buy weed, Kamloops, which is about 4 hours from Vancouver. Other locations could be months away from approval. Also local governments can determine if they will allow pot stores to open.. All existing medical weed distributors have to close or can be fined $ 100,000 In Ontario which has the largest population in Canada, has no stores and won't have any until next year. Other provinces have more stores.
The government is governing the growing of pot "to guarantee quality". Another way of saying limiting the level of TCP. Some people are already saying they will continue to use their current dealer. And after knowing for more than a year that it will be legalized, producers are already running out of supply. Typical government SNAFU.
We can order online and purchases will be mailed. But the postal unions are negotiating a new contract and could be on strike at any time.

There is a tax on all purchases but I don't know how much it is.

The main reason it was legalized is Trudeau promised it during our last election and he did it to get elected.

As far as help for people who develop a problem I haven't heard anything but we have universal health care so I imagine everyone will pay for it.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Cannabis isn't heroin. And yes, you have universal healthcare. Lucky fucking you. I'd be thrilled if my tax dollars went to rehabilitation centers instead of wars over oil and recourses.

When cannabis gets legalized and taxed government revenue goes Up.

I haven't heard/read anything about the closing of medical dispensaries . Looking that up now...

liquiss

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ontario has no dispensaries because they're not read, but there's a website that you can order with a flat delivery fee and a 1-3 day turn around. Your information is a little sensationalized.

The consumption of pot Cannabis isn't going to change, and you're naive to think otherwise. Some of the fence sitters might dive in a little now that it's not longer illegal, but for the most part those that have already been consuming will continue to, but the bright side is the government will now be getting a cut to help pay for that universal healthcare. It's a good thing, not a bad thing. People need to get out of the dark ages. It's legal to go to the bar and destroy your liver. It's legal to smoke tobacco laced with poison and destroy your respiratory system. But oooohhhh noooooooo now people can smoke weed legally. The country is sure to be in turmoil.

People are doing it already, and will keep doing so. Might as well bolster the tax coffers and use that money to better our social services.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I’m no pot smoker, but I’m happy it’s legal. If alcohol and tobacco are legal, cannabis should also be legal. (I’m not in favour of kids smoking it, but whatever...). Just from a court perspective, stupid possession charges clogs up the legal system and gives people criminal records when none is needed.

And if you want to look at it as a gateway drug, nope - alcohol is actually the gateway drug. I’ve seen far more damage done by alcohol than by cannabis. Alcohol almost always opens the door to harder stuff if one is so inclined. My opinion anyway.

We have 17 stores in my province so far, six in my city alone. And they are beautiful stores. People were lined up at midnight! So weird. We’ll see what happens when edibles are introduced next year.​

Reactions: englad and 693987

canuck_pa

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I know very little about cannabis. I smoked a lot of it in my younger days but haven't done so in about 30 years. I am aware its not a gateway drug although I know some of my friends moved to other drugs when they got bored with weed.
Tight'n'juicy, I am well aware cannabis is not heroin. And yes, "lucky fucking us" we have universal medical care.

I'm glad is legal too. but it won't be the end of illegal distribution. There will still be illegal grow ops especially if the legal stuff is weak or if legal outlets run out of product as they are now. And it won't stop the use by underage kids. It will be like alcohol, adults will buy it for them. And having said all that I don't think use will increase very much. People who were curious might try it.