Powell: Obama, We Can't Afford Your Agenda

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Trinity, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Trinity

Trinity New Member

The Tide Has Turned:

Powell cautions Obama to take it slow
    Politico by Josh Kraushaar
    "I think one of the cautions that has to be given to the president — and I've talked to some of his people about this — is that you can't have so many things on the table that you can't absorb it all. And we can't pay for it all," Powell said on CNN's "State of the Union."

"I think the president, as he moves forward with his initiatives, has to start really taking a very, very hard look at what the cost of all this is," Powell said. "And how much additional bureaucracy and will it be effective bureaucracy be needed to make all of this happen."

/Powell added that he hasn't decided whether he will be supporting Obama for re-election in 2012.
    Take your pick:

Obama's spending blitz worries Powell

Powell Expresses Concerns Over Obama’s Packed Agenda

Ex-Secretary of State Colin Powell 'concerned' Obama's agenda may be too ambitious, too costly

Colin Powell cautions Obama on big government

Colin Powell: 'Concerned' over spending

2. MalakingTiti

Gold Member

Albums:
    BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH. Whatever. The man is trying to stop a sinking ship from taking on water. What would you rather him use? Big buckets, or a thimble? We've already begun getting loans made under the bailout paid back, and AIG expects theirs to be paid back in total in 3 years. How long do you think we'd be sucking wind if we hadn't rescued them? I'm fine with what he's doing. The way I see it, the money laid out to rescue the US economy from certain death is better than wasting it on no bid military contracts, pork projects for bullshit republicans, and/or starting wars that are unnecessary. I don't know about anyone else but I am one who is willing to stick with Obama to see where this thing goes. We see where 8 years of doing nothing has gotten us, we might as well see what at least 4 years of doing something does.

3. Sklar

Gold Member

Albums:

But you don't stop a ship from sinking by having it take on MORE water.

Sklar

4. MalakingTiti

Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't see it that way at all. What do you suggest he do? I am seriously asking that question too. I hear a lot of people critcizing, but I don't hear anyone advancing a viable alternative.

5. Redsquall

Redsquall New Member

Exactly.

6. transformer_99

Gold Member

Powell may be cautioning for a slower pace, but I'm sure the 10% that are unemployed want to hear that ? Where was he with all this wonderful advice or concern when he was part of the machine creating it ? He was part of Bush-Cheney-Rumsfeld, retired and resurfaces when it's a $ 1 3/4 trillion issue ? Just me, but Obama needs to get on with job creation, because quite frankly, the numbers are far worse than Bush 2001. As for bailout paybacks ? I want to see the stats on that. The only noise I heard on that were some that were paying it back because it was easier just to face it in the position they were in as opposed to putting up with the governments interventions ?

Here's AIG just 3 1/2 months ago:

Forget the bonuses: AIG can't repay its loans, GAO says | McClatchy

We know Chrysler's not paying theirs back either:

Chrysler won't repay federal bailout 'loans' - May. 5, 2009

I have this gut instinct that like everything else 4, 5 years and beyond, someone is going to magically say bailouts have been repaid with no real evidence. The national debt will still be about what it is barring any other bailouts, which those would make it worse.

At the end of the day, Obama has no solutions, so if we're going to bailout everything every few years, why does anyone suffer ? We all should have at least affordable healthcare and a job/income to make it affordable. The current senate bill calls for a fine for what amounts to not having healthcare under that bills provisions. It indicates subsidies for certain income classes. Those +/-10% that are unemployed now or later on when this passes, are they going to be told one fine day they have a choice to either buy that healthcare or pay a fine ? Because no provision was made for them as they were drafting/writing this bill/legislation ? Or are those people going to get the subsidy from the moment it's enacted as law ?

7. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Wait a minute... wasn't it less than a year ago that many people in the conservative base was calling Colin Powell a traitor for backing Obama during the election? They served up the propaganda that he wasn't a "true Republican" and couldn't be trusted. Of course, all of that changes now since he has a critique for the president. Looks like the OP has taken a few lessons from Sanford on how to act like a hypocrite. :rolleyes:

The fact is, nobody knows for sure what is to come with our economy. Not even Colin Powell, and he's actually one of the few Republicans that I would actually listen to. Although everyone has questions and critiques for Obama at this point, it's not as if ANYONE of his dissenters has an alternate solution. All they do is whine, bitch and moan like a bunch of pessimistic idiots.

Unlike some of the impatient, doom-predicting Chicken Littles in the audience I'll wait to see what happens. There's still 3+ years left in his term. Plenty of things can happen between now and then. Nothing good comes from anything if it's rushed... just look at the mistakes of our previous administration if you want examples of people jumping to conclusions and rushing to get things done without dotting the I's and crossing the T's.

8. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

Well, someone's gotta pay for the buckets, man.

9. AllHazzardi

AllHazzardi Member

Albums:
    Or you figure out to use a pressure seal to stop the leak before trying to rampantly bail the boat out.

10. sargon20

Gold Member

It's the doom wishing entity known as Trinity aka Faux News LPSG edition. Notice the total 'no comment' on the latest Palin fiasco. I guess it wasn't "Epic" enough. But indeed it was epic kind of like the Titanic. With dudinvestor gone the entity is going to have to start all the Obama and democrat bashing threads itself.

There was no time for that...........

It all began on that fateful weekend in September 2008 when the American economy was on the verge of melting down.

#10 sargon20, Jul 5, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  11. Sklar

Gold Member

Albums:

Possible solutions:

1) Allow everyone, not just the self employed, to deduct mileage or gas from their taxes.

2) Cut the self employment rate by 35% for 3 years.

3) If we're going to go with government run entities, then why not take over the mortgage industry and give everyone with a home loan, either fixed or variable, a set 30 year mortgage rate at 3.5%? It's the mortage people who got us into this, they can bear the brunt of getting us out of it.

4) Impose a flat tax of 13% on individuals and a 18% flat tax on corporations. No tax deductions for corporations only for the non self employed.

5) Allow a 3 year moritorium on student loans. No payments at all with no interest accumulating during that time.

6) For now, forget health insurance reform. Concentrate on the financial industry. To quote from 1992: It's the Economy, Stupid.

7) Allow people under 59 1/2 the ability to take out of their IRA, 401K, etc... without any penalties.

8) Lower the cost of Medicare part B.

Job creation:

Allow for expanded drilling for oil off shore and in ANWR. We have an entire industry that's already in place and is willing to front the majority of the building/drilling. Why create some new industry from scrap at the expense of something that's already there. We can do both. It's not either/or.

Repair the infra-structure: Roads, bridges, dams, airports, power grids, etc. Since the late 1970's all I've heard about the airports is that they are out of date and, in some cases, extremely dangerous to the neighborhoods around them in case of a crash.

Bring science back more. Increase funding for research and developement in space, medical and farming industries.

Make the pharmacuticle (sp) companies happy. For each company that actually cures an incureable disease they get 3 years tax free revenue, the permanent right to that drug (meaning they don't have to worry about a second party making a generic 7 years later but they have to keep that drug at under 100.00).

This is all that I could think of in 10 minutes. I'm sure I can think of more as the week goes by.

Anyone else, feel free to chime in on possible solutions.

Sklar

#11 Sklar, Jul 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  12. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Sorry, I don't agree with that at all.
    Health & medical bills is one of the main reasons why people go bankrupt in our country. Not sure if you've read some of the posts from Bbucko or MidLifeBear on the subject, but it's really sad to see what happens to people when they really need medical attention and are forced to deal with insurance companies who are trained to say "no", with pharmaceutical companies that charge more than 10x the amount for drugs that I can get in a different country for much less, or current government programs that force you to lose a major chunk of your earnings and worth before they decide to give you minimal coverage.

It makes no sense to even try to fix economic issues if we're not going to address the problems that contributes to many of the financial woes of the typical American. What would be the point of giving everyone a job when everyone would still be one accident or one sickness away from being unable to work or even make money?

13. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Correct.

However, for some, situational ethics trumps consistency.

14. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Last time I checked, Colin Powell wasn't president...

15. Trinity

Trinity New Member

16. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Let me finish that for you:
    Vice President Joe Biden said the administration "misread how bad the economy was" but stands by its stimulus package and believes the plan will create more jobs as the pace of its spending picks up.

17. Trinity

Trinity New Member

That is classic Gaffe Machine Biden...Saying something stupid.

How in the world are you standing by your 'solution' when you misread the problem, and can't rule out the need for another whack at addressing the problem?

That article says one thing. Obama is in trouble.

You left off the most amusing part after that:

Gaffe machine Biden: Did not rule out a second stimulus and thought it was 'premature' to say now whether it would be needed despite the fact that many people think a second stimulus is definitely necessary.

"The employment numbers are so dire and the long-term prospects so poor that it seems clear to us that additional stimulus is needed and we need to start planning for it now," the AFL-CIO's Lee said.:rolleyes:

"We strongly believe we need another stimulus, and we need it now," added Thea Lee, the policy director for the AFL-CIO.:rolleyes: - AP

Colin Powell is just getting around to seeing and publicly stating what others knew from the outset. This article agrees and supports Powell's (and many other's) point that Obama's initiaves such as Health Care Reform and Climate Policy Reform cannot be sustained economically in a strategy of deficit spending and borrowing.

The article clearly states that Health Care Reform and Climate Plans rely on a strong and productive economy. If our GDP does not turn around and meet the administration's forecast numbers, those costly initiatives will fail and cause even greater deficits. The Obama Administration's jobless forecasts have already been off. Biden already admitted that Obama misread how bad the problem was. To keep doing what we've already done is the definition of insanity.

We cannot afford Obama's agenda in a weakened economy. And Obama supporters are finally seeing it.

18. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

What a difference an extra twenty-two omitted words make! :biggrin:

19. AllHazzardi

AllHazzardi Member

Albums:
    In the case of health insurance however, HOW you fix it is more important than IF you fix it. If you try to fix health insurance by making a private industry insurance mimicking government offering, nothing gets fixed. Everything you pay for is composed of cost and sub-costs, you reduce cost by reducing sub-costs. For example, medical malpractice insurance is a sub-cost of the cost of medical treatment, if you limit the malpractice compensation to a strict multiple of the original treatment cost(eg, $10,000 surgery, maximum compensation $50,000), you reduce that particular sub-cost, and so the cost can come down. Likewise, investigative technology is a sub-cost of treatment, and if you focus on producing newer and better technologies of imaging, the prices of that sub-cost reduce in accordance with outmoded technology value changes. The same rule applies for the other sub-costs of energy, labor, wages, and so on. However in the case of labor and wage costs, they can only be reduced.... by reducing the labor and wage sub-costs, which include housing, food, energy, and so on.

The important thing to notice is that no matter what you are paying for, ENERGY will always be a sub-cost that is factored in, likewise is the case with resources. This is why renewable resource energy technology is so important, not because it's green and eco-friendly, but because it will reduce a sub-cost associated with almost everything in our world.

20. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:

Quite the opposite. It's called subsidizing industrial earmarks for a submarine project that will "bring more green jobs across America" (in my black guy imitating a white guy voice).

duh.

Draft saved Draft deleted