Prep for hernia repair

art

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I'm having an umbilical hernia repaired soon. They're going to shave major parts of my anatomy in preparation. (I'm not sure how much, but I'm guessing at least my abs and pubic hair.) I'm moderately hairy everywhere but my back. The question: should I trim the body hair, or just let 'em shave it the way it is? Or should I shave myself, and let them tell me if it's good enough?

I figure whatever they or I do, I'm going to shave completely afterward, so it can all grow back at the same rate, and not look so freakish.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Let them shave you. They shave you right before you go to surgery to cut down on infection. They used to shave you the night before but found that doing it then caued more surgical infections. They'll probably do a hatchet job. Their aim isn't aesthetics. You can assess the damage when you get home and re-manscape.

ISIZE R.N.

psguy64

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I had something done like you, being hairy and the thought being shaved
by the hospital got me to shave the day before the operation. The hospital
staff took one look at me, said something to the effect I did a good job
and let my room.

mattsrod7

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Let them shave you. They shave you right before you go to surgery to cut down on infection. They used to shave you the night before but found that doing it then caued more surgical infections. They'll probably do a hatchet job. Their aim isn't aesthetics. You can assess the damage when you get home and re-manscape.

ISIZE R.N.

This is true, follow this advice!

Frodo46888

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I have a fairly hairy body, and for my hernia repair they only shaved the immediate area, just a small bit. Let them shave, and if it looks funny afterwards you can re-manscape then.

sprinter

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm having my umbilical hernia repaired wed and was wondering about the shaving too. Also, did you get a catheter for the procedure? How did you feel afterwards? Can you feel the mesh?

art

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Finally scheduled to have this done mid-July. I hope it goes well. First real surgery I've ever had.

Turbojetx

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
They only shave where they do the incision, so yeah, around the belly-button is probably all they will do. They do it after you are under anesthetic so leave it alone. Also be ready for everything to come out orange.....from the Betadine antiseptic ;0)

1958ST

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Had a left and right inguinal repaired before. anyway I will bet it will be as an outpatient. Agree on the betadine and their trim just before you had it done. You probably will be asked to take a magic marker and mark the spot--some sort of a liability thing I guess. It will war off too.

art

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Here's my update: Surgery on July 18. I didn't shave beforehand. They shaved (I was already unconscious) from the root of my cock up to just under my pecs. (Hair trail gets narrower there; think of a stretched hour glass). Surgical scar about 12" long centered on where my umbilicus used to be. (The skin was so thin that the surgeon removed it.)

I thought that looked a little odd once the covering bandage and steri-strips came off (last Friday), so I shaved the rest of my chest hair off. I'm hoping it'll all regrow by Thanksgiving.