Prep

pavel69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I have been on PrEP (Truvada) for about 9 months. I have experienced no side effects.

I have become less careful about using condoms. I'm not proud of it. I think PrEP plays a role in my increased risk taking, but it's not the only factor. I've been going through a bit of a sexual awakening. I like to think I would insist on condoms if I were not on PrEP, but if I'm being honest with myself, I'm not sure I would.

Blitzkid

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
There was a news report this week of a confirmed case of a Prep user becoming HIV infected. Clearly it is not a perfect "solution."
They also pointed out he was not taking the medication as advertised. PREP is still an extremely important and viable tool for sexually active people in one of the high risk groups.

pavel69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
They also pointed out he was not taking the medication as advertised. PREP is still an extremely important and viable tool for sexually active people in one of the high risk groups.

Do you have a source for that? The stories I read at the time said that they did blood tests showing he did have adequate blood levels of the drug, and that he contracted a rare, Truvada-resistant strain of HIV. Do you have an update on this case?

I still agree with you, PrEP is a good tool. It is not perfect, but it's damn good.

Blitzkid

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Do you have a source for that? The stories I read at the time said that they did blood tests showing he did have adequate blood levels of the drug, and that he contracted a rare, Truvada-resistant strain of HIV. Do you have an update on this case?

I still agree with you, PrEP is a good tool. It is not perfect, but it's damn good.
I stand corrected Pavel and am getting my studies mixed up. You are correct in that is was a drug resistant strain.
https://www.poz.com/article/prep-fails-gay-man-adhering-daily-truvada-contracts-drugresistant-hiv

Reactions: keenobserver

VikingB666

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I stand corrected Pavel and am getting my studies mixed up. You are correct in that is was a drug resistant strain.
https://www.poz.com/article/prep-fails-gay-man-adhering-daily-truvada-contracts-drugresistant-hiv

You might be thinking of the Proud study carried out in the UK that finished last year. Over the course of the trial there were 2 cases of infection, but it was found out that they hadn't been taking the drug.

It also showed no increase in STI infection rates compared to the control group.

I didn't realise how expensive Prep was in the US @$1800 a month, in the UK it is around £400, though a lot of people now buy generic over the internet

http://www.iwantprepnow.co.uk

Reactions: pavel69

pavel69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Truvada is covered by many insurance companies in the US, although many people are left with a large copay. Gilead, the drug company that makes Truvada, offers copay assistance: http://www.truvada.com/truvada-patient-assistance

There is also some public assistance in Washington, where I live. I'm sure some other states have similar programs. I go to a community health center where some of the providers have a special interest in LGBTQ health. We also have a pharmacy on site. They know how to access many different resources, and PrEP (Truvada) ended up being completely free for me. I hope to get a similar deal next year.

theplayerking

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I started a few weeks ago. My co-pay is $30 a month. Not real side effects so far. For the first couple of days I got a headache for the first few hours after taking it, but I'm fine now.

Auggiecakes

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
So any of you out there on PrEP? (I'm sure there's already a topic on this, I just couldn't find it).

I've started it about two weeks ago. What're your guys' thoughts on it? Still have sex with condoms? (Not including the concern for other STD's). Do you have more carefree sex?

the long term side effects don't really outweighs the benefits for me. not only can it be expensive if your insurance won't cover it, but also the fact that its kills your kidneys.... its not 100% successful and to doesn't prevent other stds....also i forget to take my vitamins everyday so i know myself well enough to realize that I'd forget a day or two.... i'll stay celibate for now.