Prepaid SIM cards in the States!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by ThaiDude, May 7, 2011.

1. ThaiDude

ThaiDude New Member

Hi guys ... I'd like to ask something here, cuz I am sure you'll have the answer :smile:

I am German, I live in Germany ... but I am quite often in the States.

I know there are many different prepaid SIM cards on the US market.

But are there any with an unlimited validity?
    I wanna use it for some phone calls only.
    Ideally I would have a card that allow to use my credits whenever I want, without any 30 day validity or stuff like that ...

It's you turn now. Please help me :wink:

2. midlifebear

Gold Member

Go to K-Mart and buy a TracFone. Then buy a 100 minute card. As soon as you charge the phone battery, enter the tracking number for the 100 minutes they'll offer you to double minutes plus another 100 minutes if you buy an additional $25 card. But don't buy the second card until you receive a notice/advert from them about how to double -- and sometimes quadruple -- your minutes. They sell older Nokia, LCG, and Motorola phones. Don't expect to buy a G phone. But they work and the minutes don't expire for two years if you don't use them. If you want to continue using the phone they require the purchase of just a $10 phone card added once or twice a year. Tracfone cards are available at almost any supermarket in the USA.

3. MarkLondon

Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't know about the US, but in the UK Virgin Mobile pay-as-you-go credit never expires.

4. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    If you have a smartphone, you can use a Skype app. That's what I do with my iPhone. It works over 3G as well as wifi.

5. B_Marius567

B_Marius567 New Member

t-moble has Prepaid SIM cards it is 6.95 for sim card and you may want to buy Prepaid refull card with your order.

#5 B_Marius567, May 8, 2011
    Last edited: May 8, 2011
  6. B_stanmarsh14

B_stanmarsh14 New Member

From what I have found on my trips to the states, generally you can not get a sim on it's own, but most of my American mates, tell me the best way, is to just get a very cheap cell phone (Can find some @ $10), and just use that.

It's unlike Europe, where good roaming agreements are now enforced by the EU, or being able to get a sim for a few € / £'s, and top up as needs be.

However, it maybe worthwhile you picking up a sim for Lebara Mobile's network, as certainly in the UK, they offer cheap roaming / calls.

Welcome to Lebara Group

Another good alternative I picked up upon when I was at Denver CO last, get a calling card.

#6 B_stanmarsh14, May 8, 2011
    Last edited: May 8, 2011
  7. B_stanmarsh14

B_stanmarsh14 New Member

Problem with that is, most roaming data rates will out-strip the cost of standard calls, as been noticed before on many sites, like The Registrar.

Draft saved Draft deleted