Preparation/recuperation advice for upcoming circumcision

mandoman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Sorry to hear that. My doctor said I should have it done at my last visit. I asked what was wrong, but she said that it's just a preference to her medical profession. I remembered that this was the USA and that most men are cut here. I asked if there was more to go on. She said I had a condition known as phimosis, that is if I spelled it right. It's where the opening is smaller so that the foreskin can't pull back. I was kind of hesitant to her suggestion. I just showed her that I could pull it back and cleaning wasn't difficult. She just insisted and scheduled an appointment next month to have me cut. I said no and that if there's a problem I'd find an alternative treatment. Someone suggested earlier in the thread about a cream. I did research it. It's a Betamethasone cream 0.05%, again check the spelling. I never used it, bit kept it an alternative just in case. I just did what someone online told me and slowly stretched the opening of the foreskin to the point where it retracted without using my hands. It took two weeks surprisingly. Difference in diameter was noticable. Apparently, it was because of the smooth muscle within the foreskin constricted over time and the skin adapted. Coming that next appointment where the doctor was ready to do the surgery, I showed her and the nurses. They were quite impressed and took down the information about the cream. The doctor was all but pleased though. You'd think that a patient coming up with a better alternative would be met with a pat on the back. I don't get why she was so adamant about the surgery. She still suggested it because there was more skin on the front side and on the underside of the foreskin. I explained that that's the way the penis is designed and that it feels good for my girlfriends when it slides over the glans during intercourse. She said it was gross. I'm now looking for a different doctor. Just a suggestion before you rush into it. Don't know how it's affecting you, only what's happened in my case. I hope all goes well.

She needs to be reported, for advocating for unnecessary surgery.
It's highly unprofessional. She is projecting her preferences onto her patients, and making money off of it. Help the next victim out, and report her to the local medical society.

D

deleted556573

I posted the following in another thread earlier this year:

I was circumcised on February 11 of this year for the same reasons you've posted. I had a severe case of phimosis and after many years of attempting various different methods of stretching, none of them worked.

Here's how the recovery period worked for me:

Days 1, 2, and 3: On the couch, wearing only briefs packed with gauze pads (there WILL be oozing and bleeding; they need to be switched out every few hours), and continually keeping an ice pack on my groin area. I switched it out every 30-45 minutes with a fresh one. The longer you keep the ice packs on the area, the shorter time period it will take to heal, and the quicker the swelling will go away. Night time erections hurt terribly, and I was woken up by them at least once a night. I have no suggestions on how to prevent this, but I can assure you that a previous posters' suggestion of making sure you empty your bladder prior to going to bed does NOT work, at least not for me.

Week 1 (Days 4-7): I returned to work, but walked somewhat slower (still sore, but bearable). 6 days post-op, I thought I had an infection and went back to my urologist. He was very surprised to see my progress. At 6 days, he said I was where he'd expected me to be at 2.5 weeks! I was happy about that. The stitches itched like hell, but I used an alcohol prep pad to dab at them when they were bothering me. Worked like a charm. Still a bit oozing/bleeding, but it was 95% stopped by day 5. Just a few little dots of blood here and there. Bruising was significantly reduced as well.

Week 2 (Days 8-14): Stitches started dissolving. Still sore, but MUCH more bearable. Soreness was reduced and by day 10, I was no longer packing my underwear with gauze pads. Incision point was scabbing over and ITCHED. Anti-itch remedies work great, but I used alchol prep pads. Burns a bit, but gets rid of the itch quickly. By day 14, the stitches were dissolving at a rapid rate. Not a moment too soon, as they were getting caught on my underwear and would STING at times. Nighttime erections still hurt, but not as bad. Healing is visibly happening at a much more rapid rate. I did masturbate on day 14, but it was VERY carefully, and with a LOT of lube, and I avoided disturbing the incision point as much as I could. This is completely against recommendations, but I really couldn't stand it any longer. :redface:

Week 3 (Days 15-21): No more oozing or bleeding at all. I could achieve an erection and it wouldn't be so painful that I wanted to cry. It was sore, but definitely bearable. By day 20, almost all of the stitches were dissolved. I had a few holdovers that were irritating. By day 21, I took a sterile pair of surgical scissors and removed the last 3 stitches. By this point, the incision area was all but healed up, so the stitches were doing nothing but irritating me.

Week 4 (Days 22-28) : All healed up. Follow up appointment with Urologist on day 28 (had to reschedule, but I don't think it's a big deal). Successfully masturbated with the assistance of a LOT of lube. I still have a little discomfort with erections, but the incision point is still a little swollen, which will go down in time. I've been told by many different guys that have had this procedure done as adults that the incision point will change steadily over the next year or so. We shall see.

That leads us up to today. The skin is very loose when flaccid, but when I'm erect, the skin becomes VERY tight on my shaft. I cannot masturbate without lube, and I'm fine with that because I LOVE the way my cock looks erect. :biggrin1:

In short: the first week post-op was hell, ESPECIALLY the first 3 days. After that, it was mainly annoying. The soreness will continue for a few weeks, but I found it to be very tolerable, much more tolerable than I was led to believe. I only took 3 Vicodin (pain killer) total, and each of those were during the first three days. As a previous poster said, I highly recommend that you wear some very supportive underwear during the first week or two. The less movement you have during the initial recovery period, the less uncomfortable you'll be. I had some supportive athletic briefs that I wore, and that's the main reason I was able to work during the first week after my circumcision.

PM me if you have any questions.

By the way, listen to what Vindicator said. He gave me a ton of good advice prior to the procedure.

Endued

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
If its only the tip of the foreskin that is tight, you should probably have the doc salvage whatever foreskin and frenulum. This is usually done by a style called High and Tight.

If you are not familiar, here is what it looks like:

http://www.circlist.com/styles/style-p6images/highscar-02.jpg
http://www.circlist.com/styles/style-p6images/highscar-04.jpg

A high and tight circumcision removes more outer foreskin and preserves the more erogenous inner foreskin and frenulum which contain most of the pleasure nerves and in the case of the frenulum, is responsible for triggering ejaculation. As in the picture above, the scar between the inner and outer foreskin is lowers down the shaft, closer to the balls. Most men who seem to be unhappy after a circumcision due to problems with decrease in sensation or delayed ejaculation seem to have what is called a Low and tight circumcision which is the opposite of High and Tight. Low and Tight can remove almost ALL of the inner foreskin and frenulum, some times as little as 1-2cm of foreskin is left.

http://www.circlist.com/styles/style-p6images/lowscar-09.jpg
http://www.circlist.com/styles/style-p6images/lowscar-05.jpg

Since this is a cut once operation, I'd suggest you attempt to map out the sensitive areas of your penis and attempt to masturbate as a circumcised man with your foreskin retracted lightly and with lube so you would to know what you should keep, or may be loosing after the cut. Pay special attention to the first 2-3 inches directly under your glans because this the part that will likely be removed. You can talk to your surgeon and tell him that you would like as much foreskin preserved as possible and to leave your frenulum intact.

As long as you know what you're going into, you should be able to have your issue resolved and a fully functioning and enjoyable cut cock coming out.

Thanks for this, it's very useful, but I'm not sure I want either of those tbh.
I've attached pictures of it flaccid and mostly erect (it's actually two rings very close to each other). Is there any reason they couldn't remove just that area? It should leave me with a lot of spare skin, and as far as can tell the affected bit is all 'inside'. (though the inside/outside boundary has shifted due to the issue itself.)

I thought I was on the same page as the doctor, but now I'm not sure I'm due to have more removed than I really want or need. Gotta call 'em tomorrow, I guess.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sogious

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
@Vindicator and @mandoman I live in the United States. While the circumcision rate has dropped down to 35% from 100%, it's still very much a material country. Here, medical care is a costumer service instead of a community service. We don't even have universal health care. If I reported her, people would have just shrugged their heads. It wasn't even 40 years ago that they circumcised your children without consent. And by then everyone did it. That isn't to say that circumcision doesn't have a place in the medical purpose. It just happened to be my case where my doctor was a looney. As for our friend, Endued, it is his decision. Obviously it isn't phimosis in his case. He can pull it back. Perhaps Paraphimosis, where the foreskin stays behind the glans and wont push back over the glans, as he has shown in the picture. As the penis swells, it can get uncomfortable around the ridged band, which I must say looks beautiful. It is a shame from my angle that it is to be done. But, it's your decision, your body. I can only suggest that if it doesn't give you pain, don't do it. And there are other alternatives. I saw this one last night. I thought it was kind of cool.

How does the Gentle Foreskin Stretcher Work | Platigo Solutions

My brother did it because he wanted to be like other boys. Stupid reason. Doctor took his money without warning him. He said they took his frenulum even when he said he wanted to keep it. They just took the whole area. So, be sure you have the right doctor in your case. Good luck!

vindicator

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Thanks for this, it's very useful, but I'm not sure I want either of those tbh.
I've attached pictures of it flaccid and mostly erect (it's actually two rings very close to each other). Is there any reason they couldn't remove just that area? It should leave me with a lot of spare skin, and as far as can tell the affected bit is all 'inside'. (though the inside/outside boundary has shifted due to the issue itself.)

I thought I was on the same page as the doctor, but now I'm not sure I'm due to have more removed than I really want or need. Gotta call 'em tomorrow, I guess.

It looks like from the pics the ring is very close to the glans.... less than 1 inch. Im not sure if its possible to remove just a section of the inner foreskin and reattach it to the remaining inner foreskin. You should talk to your doc and see what they say since usually they would remove everything back from the ring to where the shaft skin is. You might want to reach out to basque since i believe he had the same issue as you and also wanted to keep as much foreskin as possible to preserve its natural function. In his case i believe he stretched the remaining skin over time to completely cover the glans again. You might end up with a medium/low cut with more shaft skin then foreskin. As i mentioned before, i would tell the docs to keep your frenulum since the ring is below it. You look like you might have a slightly tight frenulum. You might want to ask the docs about making it longer (z plasty) which might also give you more foreskin coverage after the surgery if you want to stretch it to restore your current look.

It sounds clear that youre not really interested in being circumcised, you just want the issue resolved. Have you looked into stretching your foreskin by using cream to loosen the problem skin before moving on to be circumcised? I dont think youre going to end up with enough skin left after a circumcision to cover your glans based on your pics, so you might want to try stretching before going under the knife.

Last edited:
S

SirConcis

Endued, a partial circ would be possible, removing only the tight ring. Since you are able to retract foreskin when soft, a dorsal slit is not required as first step and a double circular incision is possible. The trick is properly identifying the ring of skin to be removed. You need to have a good doctor for that.

However, if you are able to retract fully when hard, I would think your phimosis is not really serious, and perhaps you are one where regular stretching exercises would work.

Every night, before masturbating, just grab foreskin over head and stretch the opening outwards (to make it wider) for about 5 minutes. Don't stretch so far hard that it hurts. Just stretch it compfortably.

Endued

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I was wondering, what effect does the severing of veins and such have on the penis? In terms of erection quality I guess. I mean, I've got veins on the edge of the foreskin that seem to go all the way down into the body. What happens there?

S

SirConcis

Circumcision does not cut anthing from the penis itself, only the skin covering it. so bood flow into penis for erections is not affected

D

deleted257218

I was wondering, what effect does the severing of veins and such have on the penis? In terms of erection quality I guess. I mean, I've got veins on the edge of the foreskin that seem to go all the way down into the body. What happens there?

Has no effect on erection. What causes erections is spongy muscles inside the penis filling with blood. Circumcision only removes outside skin which doesn't affect the internal organ

Endued

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
So what are the veins in the foreskin connected to? Where's the blood coming from? (veins are darker as they carry deoxygenated blood back to the heart, right?)

Endued

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
They feed the glans? And the glans is part of the erection, surely? I don't think we're on the same page here tbh.

Not to matter anyway, I'm going ahead with it v. soon, I was just curious really.

S

SirConcis

the glans has a skin portion over the erectile portion. shaft skin blood supply deal with the skin portion of glans. Internal blood supply for the erectile portion.

D

deleted257218

They feed the glans? And the glans is part of the erection, surely? I don't think we're on the same page here tbh.

Not to matter anyway, I'm going ahead with it v. soon, I was just curious really.

Hope it goes well for you then mate

east215

Just Browsing
Media

Your penis is beautiful. Don't cut it!:frown1:

pomaz59

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

good luck bro, keep us updated!

D

deleted257218

What exactly is the problem you have if you don't mind me asking?

karldergrosse

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Can't say about healing process. But best advice: DON'T HAVE IT DONE! Whatever your "minor issue" may be, do all that's humanly possible to have it resolved without circumcision! (You may have to consult several urologists before you find a cooperative, foreskin-friendly one who'll work with your problem.) Masturbation will not be the same, regardless of how little "tip" is removed. The foreskin contains invaluable sensory devices: the ridged band, the frenar delta, and c. 20,000 pleasure-specific nerves. Much of the pleasure and sensation of masturbating derives from the back-and-forthing of these elements over the glans. ~ But if it's already been done, best of wishes to you for rapid, comfortable recovery.

platinum ice

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I had mine cut a little over 1 year ago and I went into surgery at 9am and was on my way home at 930am so it was fairly quick. I say you need to buy a lot of supportive underwear to hold everything in place especially if your head is really sensitive. You also need to be prepare for the pain especially when you wake up with morning wood(OUCH)!. It was not no where near as bad as I thought it would be once everything was finish!!! Good Luck!

Reactions: CJF88

Endued

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I appreciate the sentiments but I haven't haven't made a snap decision here, this is the best option for me aftering taking everything into consideration.