Pres.Ford's widow, Elizabeth...

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Gisella, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Gisella

Gold Member

It brakes my heart everytime I see her...so fragile and her loving husband for 58 years is gone now. He was such a nice good looking all american very blond athletic guy when they met and fell in love, father of her kids...so sad...

To see widows and orphans do brake my heart...

:worried: :hug:

2. swordfishME

swordfishME Member

Most couples are lucky if they get 1/2 that time.

3. BobLeeSwagger

Gold Member

Not me. Few people find marital bliss that lasts that long. And few live such a long life before having any major health problems. I'm sure she's grateful that they lived so long together.

4. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

I know what you mean, Gisella.

Lately, every time I read about someone dying - or a group of people dying - I immediately wonder about his or her parents, children, siblings, and friends, and how they are coping.

I have been fortunate enough (touch wood :rolleyes: ) to not have had anyone really close to me die... I'm not sure how I'll react.

5. kalipygian

Gold Member

Albums:
    She was pretty universally liked and respected when she was first lady, a lot of people who didn't vote for her husband wished we could have kept Betty.

And he looks better compared to most who have come since than he did at the time (I personally would still have voted for Carter). Only criticism of him, I haven't heard of him doing anything worthwhile since leaving office, as Carter has done.

6. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

Yeah, true enough there, Gisella. It seems in the last 2.5 yrs we've said farewells to great ex presidents like Reagan & now Ford.
    Betty & Nancy are really great women to have had great like Reagan & Ford in their lives& now they're gone.

7. richnmuscle

richnmuscle New Member

Albums:
    You are right. I watched the National Service and she looked wracked with grief, almost too painful to watch. He was beside her in some difficult times just as she was there for him. God be with them both.

8. Gisella

Gold Member

Yeh Rob..I feel like that too empaty and feel the coletive, personal mourning..and my family have longevity..than I feel the same as you about that too..

Thank you everybody...

9. agnslz

Gold Member

I have always admired Betty Ford, and I actually think she did a great job in dealing with her husband's death. True, she is frail, but she is amazingly agile for her age I think! She really impressed me today when she decided to do away with the wheelchair that she was going to use after the last church service. And what a great gesture it was when President Ford's children greeted the mourners filing past his casket in the capitol rotunda. My admiration and respect for the entire Ford family has only grown after the events of the last week. What a fitting farewell to President Ford this week has been!

Draft saved Draft deleted