President Obama bikes without a helmet

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Principessa, Aug 27, 2009.

?

Should the president wear a bike helmet?

Poll closed Sep 6, 2009.
  1. Yes, it's safer and sets a good example

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. No, it's his choice

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  3. Who cares, I didn't vote for him anyway.

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Principessa

Gold Member

President Obama bikes without a helmet

He's of the same generation as me. We grew up without bike helmets, cell phones, video games, and unless you count Pong and much later Atari. I rarely wear a bike helmet either. :redface: They muss my hair. :tongue:

IMO - He's the President of the United States, if he wants to risk his melon by riding w/o a helmet that's on him.

2. rd62624

Gold Member

i am about to rant here; but i have been riding bikes for about 40 yrs .why am i about to start wearing a helmet now

3. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    Oh, for the love of god. What, he should ride a bike wearing a hazmat suit?

4. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Like, OMG... no bike helmet! What message is he sending to our YOUTS out there??!? He's such a bad role model! Shouldn't he be working? You Libtards always make excuses for him! Why is he goofing off and not focus on the economy? Where's his birth certificate??!? Impeach him!!!!

There... that post should adequately satisfy at least 30 Obamaphobes on this board, and now they won't even have to enter this thread to say the obvious bullshit. They can thank me later.

Oh, and about the bike helmet. I learned how to ride a bike without one as well and never owned one when I was younger. Now that I live in New York, if I ever owned a bike again I probably would wear one. But to each his own.

#4 B_VinylBoy, Aug 28, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  5. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I don't wear a helmut when I ski, ride a bicycle or rollarblade, I do wear one on a motorcycle. Who cares it's his choice.

6. Gl3nn

Gold Member

Even if he wasn't the president...then he could still 'risk his melon' by not wearing a helmet.

I don't wear a helmet either. But then again... I very rarely ride a bike.

7. Northland

Gold Member

and lookie over there! He's golfing without a helmet either and one of those hard golf balls flying through the air on the fairway could go ker-blap into his head. Life is filled with risks and until some money hungry people saw the opportunity to cash in big, helmets for bycycle riders were rare, rare indeed.

8. sdbg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I can see both sides of the coin here. I began riding bikes in 1957 when I turned 6. There was no such thing as a helmet. I always had bicycles through the years, and never thought of a helmet. I always wore a motorcycle helmet when I rode my motorcycle in the late '70s, even after the law made it optional. Motorcycles were different than bicycles.

In 1991, I bought a new mountain bike and got into off road riding. When friends would ask about why I don't wear a helmet, I'd say "Oh yeah, I have to get one." (just to shut them up), but never did. Honestly, I didn't see the need on a bicycle. It was another law passed for child protection, but adults should have the choice. I wore a baseball cap to block the sun and thought that it was sufficient.

All that changed in 2005. I bought a fitness bike (road bike with mountain handlebars) as a commuter bike. During the purchase, the sales guy upsold me big time - headlight, tail light, pedals, etc. When I told him that I didn't need a helmet, he scoffed at me and told me that it's the first thing that I should get. He went on about bicycle accidents and head injury. Needless to say, I left with a helmet and wore it reluctantly at first. My attitude about the helmet changed within a few weeks. The reason for the change in attitude about the helmet was due to the increased speed that I've been riding with the road bikes. The 2 bikes that I have now are fast, especially the carbon fiber bike. There are some pretty good hills here, and my downhill speeds reach 40 mph. When I'm traveling that fast on 2 wheels, I have to have a helmet. I wear cycling gloves, too, for hand protection. Every cycling event that I enter requires helmets. Once you get used to wearing it, it just feels right.

Even though I'm now an advocate for wearing bicycle helmets for all road and off-road riding, I'd still say that wearing a helmet to ride a cruiser bike down the boardwalk at 5 mph would be overkill. In the end, it's your choice. Ride safely!

9. faceking

faceking Active Member

Albums:
    Biking?! Helmet... really?

Really?

10. faceking

faceking Active Member

Albums:
    Really?

11. DiscoBoy

Gold Member

Everyone should ride a bike with a helmet, but no one must.

12. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Wow - he's really daring. :wink:

Reminds me of the time Tony Blair admitted he'd once been in a rock group...and liked to play footie. :eek: lol.

I think either Boris Johnson (Mayor of London) or David Cameron were criticised for not wearing helmets and being caught biking the wrong way down a one-way street, lol.

Seriously tho, everyone feels a twit wearing a helmet. I'd like to wear one, but feel stoopid.

Draft saved Draft deleted