President Obama speaks eloquently and correctly about the state of the union

Discussion in 'Politics' started by cruztbone, Jan 25, 2011.

1. cruztbone

Gold Member

:smile: again, without fear or reservation, our president has set forth the state of our nation. He leads us with intelligence, forbearance, grace and a knowledge and understanding of our history that no past president or current wannabe can match.
    we will get out of iraq this year; we will get out of Afghanistan by 2014. we will invest in the technology of the future and we will improve our jobs outlook. google, here in northern CA, is adding 6200 jobs this year.
    its daylight in america again; the future is not without challenge, but it is bright. God bless our president and our nation.

2. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

He did give us a great speech. One that would be hard to critique without sounding too polarizing and divisive. That was apparent with the Republican and the Tehadists' Responses (one more than the other). However, one of the political commentators on CNN did bring up the fact that Obama never once mentioned anything about the poor or the middle class. To some, that could be perceived as a mistake. But that remains to be seen.

He also didn't mention anything about gun control either.

3. FRE

FRE
    Gold Member

Albums:
    I shall critique two parts of his speech, i.e., his energy policy and his statements on education.

Obama's energy policy is unrealistic and caters to "environmentalists" rather than to environmentalists. Probably he knows that but has been pressured into scarcely mentioning nuclear power. He says that we need to develop solar, wind, clean coal, bio fuels, etc. etc. He did mention nuclear, but the main emphasis should have been on nuclear. It makes no sense to spend huge amounts of money on unproven technologies which seem unlikely to be practical. Doing so would delay our migration away from fossil fuels until after we waste hundreds of billions of dollars on impractical energy technologies.

Intermittent sources of energy cannot significantly contribute to the energy requirements of a large industrialized country. We need power 24 hours per day, 365 days per year, and not just when the sun is shining and / or when the wind is blowing. In theory, "renewable" sources could work IF there were adequate energy storage capacity to provide power when renewable sources lay dormant. However, the technology does not exist to provide adequate storage capacity at an acceptable cost and I very much doubt that it would be politically acceptable to increase the cost of electricity by a factor of five or more. Moreover, India, with a population exceeding one billion and a population density ten times greater than ours, could not possibly get enough power from wind and solar sources to lift its people out of poverty.

The numbers are not there for bio fuels. The plants, algae, or whatever would get their energy from the sun. The area requirements are so great that it would be impossible and extracting fuel from the plants would require additional energy.

The only way out is nuclear energy. However, we should migrate to a nuclear power system that is less expensive and doesn't cause waste problems. The impediment to doing so is not technological, but rather, political. If we use better nuclear technologies, then we can have enough economical and clean energy to recharge electric vehicles and to manufacture artificial liquid fuels to use where battery power is not practical.

It is impossible to learn enough about energy issues without spending many hours studying multiple sources of information. For a START, I suggest visiting the following web site and spending many hours on it:

Energy from Thorium

Obama was correct when he stated that our primary and secondary education systems are in bad shape and inferior to those of other prosperous countries. He stated that we need to put more emphasis on math and science. Unfortunately, THAT IS INSUFFICIENT!! We need to provide good liberal educations which include math, science, logic, history, literature, languages, and other subjects which teach students to understand other cultures and to think critically and logically.

4. FRE

FRE
    Gold Member

Albums:
  5. B_New End

B_New End New Member

Sorry to break it to you, but all Obama has ever done is talk a good game while playing the banker's game. All his promises of withdrawals are just doing exaclty what Bush would have done, and don't bank on him keeping promises he is making when it is possible he will not even be president in 2014.

What I found most interesting was the Sputnik comment. It's like his owners are starting to see now that the internationale is going to soon be sung internationally, so they need to start drumming up the red scare again.

Yeah, they know, if America slides into serious depression, nothing will stop the world, and then America, from sliding into red rebellion. And then it's game over.

In a historical sense, it is exactly like the Sputnik. Sputnik took all arguments about capitalist inegnuity and entrepreneurship, and slammed them back to earth and reality. It wasn't the free market that got us on the moon, kids.

6. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I heard Chris Matthews said he has heard from reliable sources that President Obama is working on a separate "Gun Control" speech sort of like the one he did on "race". He felt it important enough to make a separate speech on the issue.

7. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Overnight Polling on the SOTU:
    "
    An overwhelming majority of Americans approved of the overall message in President Obama's State of the Union speech on Tuesday night, according to a CBS News poll of speech watchers.
    According to the poll, which was conducted online by Knowledge Networks immediately after the president's address, 91 percent of those who watched the speech approved of the proposals Mr. Obama put forth during his remarks. Only nine percent disapproved.

Last year, 83 percent of viewers approved of Mr. Obama's State of the Union remarks."

Poll: High Marks for Obama's State of the Union Speech - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

8. Pierced1953

Pierced1953 New Member

Albums:
    it's all garbage

9. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

How so? Give specifics.

10. FuzzyKen

FuzzyKen New Member

The oration given (and I listened to it personally) was with regards to words an excellent piece of writing and the authors of that oration deserve incredible credit for the wording that was used.

What I see however is a weak President trying to walk a fence and act conciliatory and like a team player to individuals who will in the end stab him in the back anyway.

The only area where he had any guts in the whole diatribe was his reference to ending the tax breaks to the wealthiest 2%. Now, in all reality do any of you think that with the bottom 98% paying for the top 2% that we will ever see this? I doubt seriously that when the time comes that those tax breaks will ever leave.

It was a well written oration with many good points that will probably never happen because the special interests and big dollar boys will buy off what or whomever is necessary to preserve their status quo.

11. Hoss

Gold Member

Albums:
    That'll make all the Democrats feel great! At 83% the next election brought the Democrats huge losses, can only imagine what a 91% would have done. Heaven help them if he gets an even higher percentage next January.

12. FRE

FRE
    Gold Member

Albums:
    That's really a sweeping generalization. Do you mean that there wasn't even one true statement in the speech? If there was even one true statement in it, then your assertion is incorrect.

13. FRE

FRE
    Gold Member

Albums:
    Although there are a few points where we disagree, in general I think that your evaluation is a good one.

14. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

I think Obama is catching on.
    He's getting that it's all an ego name, with scrupulous window dressing.
    I wonder if you'll consider him weak in another year's time.
    My suspicion ... and hope ... is that you won't.

15. D_Gunther Snotpole

You're basically putting him up with the greatest presidents of history.
    I admire the dude ... but do you want to go that far?

16. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes, weakened by his political realities. Overall I agree.

Yes, it was.

Yes, he's catching on. Weak? Time will tell.

Yes, in time history will consider him such.

Huh??:confused:

#16 b.c., Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  17. D_Gunther Snotpole

Possibly.
    But maybe a bit premature?

18. JulieInNaplesFL

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Some of you must have been listing to a different Obama last night than the one I hear.

The Obama I heard gave the American people the same bullshit he's been spreading for the last 3 or 4 years. By the way, how's that "change" working out for most of you? :biggrin1:

Just another empty suit.

19. maxcok

Gold Member

And more empty dumbass talking points grounded in bumper sticker slogans from you.

Let me take a wild guess. Did you watch the speech on the Fux "news" channel?

If you watched it? :rolleyes:

p.s. Considering the eight years of hell we went through and the flagrant constitutional violations we were subjected to under the previous administration, and the fact that we barely escaped a complete global financial catastrophe (for now), I have to say I feel pretty good about the "change" overall.

#19 maxcok, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  20. stratedude

Gold Member

Albums:
Draft saved Draft deleted