Pressing the Flesh

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Pumping, gripping, squeezing....

The handshake.

Dead fish, bone crusher, pumping the arm so hard that you think your shoulder will come out of joint.

When I clasp hands with someone for the first time I squeeze just hard enough to press our palms together, fingers firm but not tight. Sometimes one pump, down then up and hold it for the span of a second while holding eye contact then release. There's also a little move I do if I'm interested in a guy that I'm keeping to myself.

How much attention do you pay to the kind of handshake you get?
Does it indicate anything about the person to you?

What kind of handshake do you have?

findfirefox

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I don't pay much attention to any handshake, I don't in general like "touching" other people or like being touched, and a handshake bothers me mainly because I think of all the places their hand has been. (Not saying that my hands are perfect though)

burns1de

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have a firm - but not too firm - handshake. I never let the full extend of my strength show, though, just in case...

wldhoney

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
A handshake is very important to me. It gives me an idea of the character of the person, which is one of the reasons it is evaluated so much when interviewing.

I hate it when a girl gives me that light, dainty limp handshake, as if she is so delicate she can barely lift her tea cup. Right away I think "weak, phony....".

I have very rarely had one that is too hard, and only from a guy that is talking and enthusiastic about his subject.

I place my hand in theirs and give a light but firm handhold while looking the person in the eye.

No_Strings

Expert Member
Media
I used to have a really soppy handshake, literally offer my hand and do nothing with it (limp wrist, harr harr).

When someone mentioned this, I payed attnetion - now I offer one or two firm shakes and usually end up being the stronger hand of the shake.

I don't think handshake truly reveals anything about a person, eye contact is what's important.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't pay much attention to any handshake, I don't in general like "touching" other people or like being touched, and a handshake bothers me mainly because I think of all the places their hand has been. (Not saying that my hands are perfect though)

I'm guessing that you wouldn't seal the deal with spitting into your palm and shaking hands with someone who had done the same. (I give that a hearty ICK, too)

I have a firm - but not too firm - handshake. I never let the full extend of my strength show, though, just in case...

Smart.

I've always wondered about the people who put their full strength into a handshake. I always thought the gesture originated as a symbol of peace ('feel, no weapons"). Trying to gain dominance by grinding the bones of someone's hand seems to defeat that purpose.

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
I'm one of those rude people who refuses to shake hands. Mostly because of my germophobia. But also because when I did used to shake hands with people, I hated those men who gave really firm handshakes. I never understood that, and all it ever told me was that that person was an insecure jerk trying to prove how manly and sincere he is within a simple gesture.:rolleyes:

I also hate high fives and bumping of fists. Please, I'm much to cool for that, don't embarrass me with those!:eek::rolleyes: And also don't set yourself up to be embarrassed when I leave you hanging, as I most certainly will.:tongue:

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
Ditto... nothing more makes me want to grab hand sanitizer.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
How much attention do you pay to the kind of handshake you get? I only notice if it's too firm, too soft, or heaven forbid clammy! :eek:

Does it indicate anything about the person to you? Ihave only encountered the bone crushing, too firm handshake from vertically challenged men and politicians e.g. men trying to prove themselves or make up for some imagined short coming.

What kind of handshake do you have? I like to think my handshake strikes an even balance between firm and confident, yet not too powerful. Also, I always look the person in the eye when I shake their hand.

Scorpiorising

1st Like
Media
I think a handshake indicates the character, genuinness (sp?), and interest of a person. I pay close attention to handshakes (I studied a little about body language). I try to give a firm handshake and show genuine interest in the person I'm either meeting for the first time or just running into. In business, it's one of those things that can make a huge impression and can even generate more business.

Some handshakes I've come across:

The dead fish: I hate it. It either means, 'I'm too busy and uninterested in you', or 'I have no personality what-so-ever'.

Firm: 'I am genuinely interested what you have to say and respect you'

Vice: 'I think a lot of myself and want to dominate you'

Dominant: This one is when the person offers their hand palm down so that you must recieve from beneath. 'I'm have an overpowering personality' or 'I am in a position of power at work'. Either way, they are being dominant. Interestingly, I was introduced to someone that worked in a supermarket (a friend of a friend) and he actually took my hand and forced his over to the dominant position. I found it very interesting because I wondered what he was trying to say with that very conscious action. But, it did put me off and felt rather aggressive.

Submissive: The opposite of Dominant. 'I'm a push over'. 'You can boss me around to do whatever you want buy occasionally I will explode out of resentment'.

Several Squeezes: Don't know what this means, but I find it wierd.

Odd: There is a chiropractor I know who will grip your hand, kinda let go and then regrip one finger at a time. I'm sure he developed it as his own unique handshake to display personality, but I found it creepy.

Anyway, I think a uniform, simple but firm handshake always sends the best message. I think the role of a handshake is to NOT call attention to itself.

VeeP

Sexy Member
Media
Firm, yet always commensurate with the the other person's relative strength. If they bone crush I squeeze back even harder until they let off, just to telepath a little message. Definitely pay attention to whether a person goes in palm-up or palm-down as it can tell you a lot about them without a word being spoken.

Odd: There is a chiropractor I know who will grip your hand, kinda let go and then regrip one finger at a time. I'm sure he developed it as his own unique handshake to display personality, but I found it creepy.
Creepy, indeed. I'd say it's borderline groping in fact. Gross.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Firm, no shaking, strong eye contact. Sometimes free hand to shoulder, sometimes a kiss on either cheek with men. Women I know, always kisses, women I don't know, just a handshake.

Love-it

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I love a firm handshake with the ladies, they are self confident.

I do not like a handshake that is not fully engaged, web to web. If someone grabs just my fingers I feel that they are not paying attention.

The limp fish, clammy hand shake makes me want to shake the crap/piss off my hands. I think people with handshakes like that are insecure.

B_New End

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Shake, pull away, come back in for the fist bump

unless in an interview or something, then it's just a generic shake, like I am picking up a hand and putting it down.