Pretentious, Obnoxious names.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Anyone else remember this idiot? :tongue:

In April 1994, a Santa Barbara teenager named Peter Eastman Jr. legally changed his name to "Trout Fishing in America". At around the same time, National Public Radio reported on a young couple who had named their baby "Trout Fishing in America".

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Anyone else remember this idiot? :tongue:

In April 1994, a Santa Barbara teenager named Peter Eastman Jr. legally changed his name to "Trout Fishing in America". At around the same time, National Public Radio reported on a young couple who had named their baby "Trout Fishing in America".

It's a pretty good book, but I wouldn't want to name my kid that. :biggrin1:

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm surprised at people posting their names on here, and also more unusual names of other people, as it can be so easily Googled. I won't post my name, or the name of the guy I went to high school with who I referred to, for that reason. I did mention Richard Long, but I have looked this up in phone books and such, and there are lots of guys with this name.

There's another guy from near where I'm from with a really bizarre name. I won't post that one here, either.

Also, while I love my name, posting it online could open me up to stalking too easily, since as far as I know I am the only person with this name.

Horny Alex

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
You should see the names bestowed on poor black children in the southern USA. Names like Tyquon, Ty'isha, Detronce, Shamika, & Merde, among others. I am not kidding about Merde either. The poor kids friends can't spell or pronounce some of the names.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I never met a person named or nicknamed "Dick". Not for nothing, but even though we are both from NJ I am convinced you grew up in a bubble. The drama director of my hs was hated far and wide his name was Richard Cayea. They made a little ditty about him that went like this . . .
My name is Richard Cayea,
I have no friends,
my enemies call me Dick.
:tongue: :biggrin1: I swear to God it's true.

Am I missing something here? I dont' get why this would seem funny.

"Grew up in a bubble" because I never met anyone named Dick?

As Morrissey put it:

I Tried living in the real world
Instead of a shell
But before I began ...
I was bored before I even began.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You should see the names bestowed on poor black children in the southern USA. Names like Tyquon, Ty'isha, Detronce, Shamika, & Merde, among others. I am not kidding about Merde either. The poor kids friends can't spell or pronounce some of the names.

OMG! I hope Merde never visits France! :biggrin1:

In a related story...I went to college with a guy from Laos whose name was Dung. I thought that was really funny, and later on I found out that Dung is a really common male name in Laos.

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

So those names are limited to just poor black children in the south? Would you prefer people of african american descent to name their kids after british people like Henry or Alex?

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
So those names are limited to just poor black children in the south? Would you prefer people of african american descent to name their kids after british people like Henry or Alex?

Actually, the only name there that I have a problem with is Merde. That's because it's French for "shit"! The rest of the names there are fine with me.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Honey, Black folk give their children stupid names all over the country not just in the south. :biggrin1:

So those names are limited to just poor black children in the south? NOT! Would you prefer people of african american descent to name their kids after british people like Henry or Alex? Not necessarily after Brits or anyone else, but normal sounding names which don't require a degree in speech pathology or something else to pronounce.

I particularly abhor the made up-back-to-Africa sounding-mock-Swahili names. That nonsense needs to stop. :mad:

I'm surprised at people posting their names on here, and also more unusual names of other people, as it can be so easily Googled. I've thought about that long and hard. Go ahead, google my name see what you come up with. I bet you a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck it ain't me. :tongue:

Also, while I love my name, posting it online could open me up to stalking too easily, since as far as I know I am the only person with this name. I wish I had that luxury! If I did I would have a drivers license, and wouldn't have almost died because of receiving someone elses medication years ago. If I had a unique name be rest assured it would be a secret.

NCbear

Superior Member
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Richard Griesedieck was a second-generation American of Dutch ancestry whom my father knew, growing up in a medium-sized town in NC. Yes, he was called "Dick," and his last name was pronounced "greasy dick." Ah, the innocent 1950s!

My mother once dated a farmer named "Milo Turnipseed." For those who don't know, milo is a type of grass often grown to feed livestock.

NCbear (who knows his own last name sounds like a glottal stop, so he'll quit laughing at other people's names in a moment)

B_RedDude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
In a related story...I went to college with a guy from Laos whose name was Dung. I thought that was really funny, and later on I found out that Dung is a really common male name in Laos.

What about the Vietnamese name "Hung". There used to be a restaurant in my neighbordhood called "Hung Phat"

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What about the Vietnamese name "Hung". There used to be a restaurant in my neighbordhood called "Hung Phat"

We had a Vietnamese neighbor years ago who was quite distressed to learn that her name (Som Shit) was a curse word in English. :tongue: I swear to God and Prada it's true. :smile:

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm surprised at people posting their names on here, and also more unusual names of other people, as it can be so easily Googled. I've thought about that long and hard. Go ahead, google my name see what you come up with. I bet you a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck it ain't me. :tongue:

Also, while I love my name, posting it online could open me up to stalking too easily, since as far as I know I am the only person with this name. I wish I had that luxury! If I did I would have a drivers license, and wouldn't have almost died because of receiving someone elses medication years ago. If I had a unique name be rest assured it would be a secret.

I didn't mean about your name. I meant the more unusual names that people post, that if you Google that name, it points right at the person in question. I have a name like that, so I won't post it here. There are some people I was referring to in this thread who I wouldn't post their names, in order to protect their privacy.

Actually, to make things even more "interesting" in my case, I have a fairly common first name, and a unique middle name - and I go by my middle name! :smile: I hate my first name.

Whoa - almost dying from receiving someone else's medication! :eek: Four years ago I almost died, but not from a mixup or anything. I had two surgeries for two completely different illnesses four years ago. They did have me mixed up with someone else (they did get it straightened out before I went into surgery!) in March 2003 when I had my gall bladder surgery. But the case where I almost died was in June 2003, and it was from a severe abscess, where the infection had nearly spread to my brain. I was messed up for nearly all of 2003 and much of 2004 as well (recovering from nearly dying.)

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

I'm always making cheap jokes about that name... :biggrin1:

Once at a Thai restaurant in Indianapolis, I saw that one of the menu items was Pud Prik. Now if that was a Southeast Asian restaurant you mentioned, rather than strictly Vietnamese, you could order Pud Prik at Hung Phat!

Oh, and there's a plastic surgeon in Indianapolis named Richard Biggerstaff. I always cracked up over that one.

Yes, I used to go around reading phone books looking for these names! That was back when I didn't have anything better to do. :biggrin1:

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My most recent name related annoyance: Georgia will not issue me a drivers license or a voter registration card because Louisiana and North Carolina have Patricia A. Green's on record who have committed some sort of vehicular offence. I was able to clear up the problem with Louisiana DMV by phone in about 30 minutes.
And I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts that every one of those states has a social security number requirement for getting a drivers license.

<...>

I just checked. Georgia, North Carolina, and Louisiana ALL specify a social security number as part of the required identification. No exceptions. The state of Georgia has the burden of correcting this error. That's why they claim that they collect the SSN in the first place.

Oh, and the pretentious names... I don't know about real-life names I think of as pretentious or obnoxious, but for online names, anything containing "boi" or "gurl" is pretentious, obnoxious, and annoying.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I didn't mean about your name. I meant the more unusual names that people post, that if you Google that name, it points right at the person in question. I have a name like that, so I won't post it here. There are some people I was referring to in this thread who I wouldn't post their names, in order to protect their privacy.

I see where you are coming from but at the same time all it indicates is that someone from this site has heard their name.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I once phoned up a guy whose name we had been told was mr O'Shite, I refused to call him that and just avoided saying his name, I later fund it was Mr O'White, Mr Dodo turned out to be Mr Dodds too although he roared with laughter when I called him Mr Dodo.