Pretty Boy.....

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
When I hear the words "pretty boy" it is akin to "sissy boy" for me. So yes, I do take that as an insult depending on the context of the conversation. Like many here have stated, "pretty" when used to describe people usually refers to feminine, delicate, or graceful qualities. Don't take the compliment if it offends you - just correct them and say "yeah, pretty stunning is what I am." or something less cheesy just so they get the point that you don't like the term "pretty". I don't think they realize they are being offensive.

Would a woman be put off by someone calling her "handsome"?

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When I hear the words "pretty boy" it is akin to "sissy boy" for me. So yes, I do take that as an insult depending on the context of the conversation. Like many here have stated, "pretty" when used to describe people usually refers to feminine, delicate, or graceful qualities. Don't take the compliment if it offends you - just correct them and say "yeah, pretty stunning is what I am." or something less cheesy just so they get the point that you don't like the term "pretty". I don't think they realize they are being offensive.

No I dont think she should be offended. There is such a thing as a handsome woman. As I mentioned we have a 50/50 chance which of our parents features we inherit. Angelica Huston is an example of a handsome woman. No less feminine or striking, her looks are definitely not pretty but attractive in a handsome way.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was, but I'm shallow and vain. :redface:

No I dont think she should be offended. There is such a thing as a handsome woman. As I mentioned we have a 50/50 chance which of our parents features we inherit. Angelica Huston is an example of a handsome woman. No less feminine or striking, her looks are definitely not pretty but attractive in a handsome way.

After attending a fundraising gala about 10 years ago one of our board of trustee members described me as being a most handsome woman. I graciously accepted his compliment. However, I do recall being mildly offended later. I was only 31 and for my entire life both men and women had always described me as pretty or cute. I was not pleased.

To me, Colleen Dewhurst has always been what I would describe as a handsome woman as was Barbara Stanwyck. I tend to think of a handsome woman as being a woman with an untraditional, attractiveness, perhaps even comely face, though not an ugly visage. She is always almost frighteningly intelligent and middle-aged or older.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, since in my teenage years I was called UGLY, I will take being called either "pretty" OR "handsome" as a compliment! I've never been called "handsome" as far as I know. I have been called "pretty" though.

It was very hurtful being called ugly in school, but when I found out that the guys in my school (in the late 70s/early 80s) thought that Cheryl Tiegs was ugly (!) that made it a bit better for me. Like, what do THEY know about what's pretty and what's ugly? I'm not sure what their criteria for pretty was.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was, but I'm shallow and vain. :redface:

After attending a fundraising gala about 10 years ago one of our board of trustee members described me as being a most handsome woman. I graciously accepted his compliment. However, I do recall being mildly offended later. I was only 31 and for my entire life both men and women had always described me as pretty or cute. I was not pleased.

To me, Colleen Dewhurst has always been what I would describe as a handsome woman as was Barbara Stanwyck. I tend to think of a handsome woman as being a woman with an untraditional, attractiveness, perhaps even comely face, though not an ugly visage. She is always almost frighteningly intelligent and middle-aged or older.

No one is going to appear the same to everyone. I think as long as we are noticed in a positive way we should be thankful and give it a rest. When you become invisible is when you should start worrying. We are not going to be perceived the same way throughout our lives and it is something we must accept. I could see someone calling both Barbara Stanwick and Colleen Dewhurst,Anne Bancroft or Susan Hayward even Agnes Morehead handsome as well. Most of them had what one would call intelligent eyes. Though they may have become blonds at some point, they continued to have the souls of brunettes. They were at their best as character actresses. The best part of all was that they didnt seem to have a stamp of obsolescence placed on their foreheads after a certain age.
Now, as to certain of these actresses they may have had other things stamped on their foreheads but I dont think you need to worry about that ! As for the age issue, there are persons who because of what shines through may never fall under the category of ingenue and that may be a good thing. LOL!

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've called men pretty but I don't often couple it with 'boy', to me saying a man is pretty means that as well as being good looking he has something that goes beyond that, that his face is pleasing on all levels, something a handsome face doesn't always have to be.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
To me the the term pretty boy just means a beautifull man thats it. A handsome woman? This is a new one to me. Then again i havent been to Pep Boys in a long time:smile: :cool:

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't want to piss you off DC_DEEP; but like YAG, you really are quite handsome and smart on a variety of topics. Judging by your gallery pic I would guess that you may have been called a pretty boy more than once by those who didn't know you. Is that why the term is so irksome? :confused:
Thanks, qt. It doesn't piss me off at all; in fact, I'm flattered.

I have never been aware of anyone calling me pretty boy, but that doesn't mean they didn't. On the other hand, though, I never dressed like a "pretty boy." For me, fashionable has always been the same as nauseating.

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
to me saying a man is pretty means that as well as being good looking he has something that goes beyond that, that his face is pleasing on all levels, something a handsome face doesn't always have to be.

I think that's how I see it - a man can be ruggedly handsome, meaning the face may be good-looking, but a little rough around the edges, but he can't be ruggedly pretty ...

B_spiker067

Experimental Member
Media
Pretty boy and handsome woman have been terms meant to highlight attractively androgynous people I think.

Have you never seen a guy who would make a pretty girl or a woman who would make a good looking guy and yet they both remain attractive for their sex?

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Pretty boy and handsome woman have been terms meant to highlight attractively androgynous people I think.

Have you never seen a guy who would make a pretty girl or a woman who would make a good looking guy and yet they both remain attractive for their sex?

Exactly! Thank you for saying this. I think I went all around the world and didnt get here. It may have nothing to do with how the person feels about him or herself it is purely how their physical attributes are received or perceived by others.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The other thing I forgot to mention is if I call a man a pretty boy I see something about him that makes me think he will age well. I'm guessing many of you are offended by being called boyishly handsome, which also infers a youthful face. It also means that at 50 you are apt to look 30 or younger.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The other thing I forgot to mention is if I call a man a pretty boy I see something about him that makes me think he will age well. I'm guessing many of you are offended by being called boyishly handsome, which also infers a youthful face. It also means that at 50 you are apt to look 30 or younger.
Sweety the term Pretty Boy has been around for nearly 50 years or more. It means a beautifull man. For someone to think it means anything different is simply very telling in their lack of respect and hate for women .

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No one is going to appear the same to everyone. I think as long as we are noticed in a positive way we should be thankful and give it a rest. When you become invisible is when you should start worrying. We are not going to be perceived the same way throughout our lives and it is something we must accept. I could see someone calling both Barbara Stanwick and Colleen Dewhurst,Anne Bancroft or Susan Hayward even Agnes Morehead handsome as well. Most of them had what one would call intelligent eyes. Though they may have become blonds at some point, they continued to have the souls of brunettes. They were at their best as character actresses. The best part of all was that they didnt seem to have a stamp of obsolescence placed on their foreheads after a certain age.
Now, as to certain of these actresses they may have had other things stamped on their foreheads but I dont think you need to worry about that ! As for the age issue, there are persons who because of what shines through may never fall under the category of ingenue and that may be a good thing. LOL!

Yes...I am one of those "invisible" people, or so it seems.

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media

It's just a change in terms that not all of society has adopted.

Awww earl I was gonna say ya had a purdy mouth.

j_me_3

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
This random girl called me pretty last weekend... booooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

B_Monster

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
For those of you who know me, you know that I do not like to associate the term "pretty" with a man, e.g., pretty boy, etc. Pretty, to me, has different connotations. It infers (to me) childlike resemblance. Boys are pretty; men are handsome, sexy, hot, attractive, etc.

So, why is that women are insistant to call dudes out and call us "pretty boys," especially when some know we hate the phrase? Am I suppose to be giddy and say, "thanks for the compliment," like a 10 year old boy? I am a man with manly attributes... not boyish... if you follow what I mean....

And why "pretty?" Pretty is so soft... unmasculine. Explanation? I am clueless..........

Yes, I am on a rant today!

Well, you are a "pretty" man, sorry i couldnt help myself,lol, there are women who take offense to being called a "girl" so it stands to reason that some men wouldnt want to be called "boys"

YourAvgGuy

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Well, you are a "pretty" man, sorry i couldnt help myself,lol, there are women who take offense to being called a "girl" so it stands to reason that some men wouldnt want to be called "boys"

Monster, I am just going to smile at you. :rolleyes: And roll my eyes!

I do understand what most have said here and to some degree see both sides of the situation. However, if a person knows that the said party would prefer them NOT to say "pretty," then they should honor it. That is how I feel... bad, ugly and any other adjectives one might have to describe the attitude.

It is appropriate today that this should have come up again... As doing a presentation earlier today on a grant were I will serve as co-PI, a collegue said I was just plain "pretty." :mad: I suppose in the south we just get use to it. Too bad I could not return the favor to her and comment on her appearance (I would have been unemployed!). :tongue:

Ok, now I will be nice!!!!

Male Bonding etc

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I've been called "pretty" a few times in my life... and as recently as last week! I hate it, but I don't make a big deal out of it. It doesn't really happen all that often. Women do it more than men, and I do think they are simply trying to be complimentary with a word that makes sense and doesn't have the same connotation for them as it does for us.