Pretty People Earn More

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Surprise! Pretty people earn more
Fed Reserve study shows beautiful people make about 5% more than their average counterparts.
April 8, 2005: 5:17 PM EDT

Good-looking, slim, tall people tend to make more money than their plain-Jane counterparts, according to a study released this month by the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, with researchers finding that beautiful people tend to earn 5 percent more an hour than their less comely colleagues.

After variables like education and experience are factored out, Fed researchers said the "beauty premium" exists across all occupations, and that jobs requiring more interpersonal contact have higher percentages of above-average-looking employees.

For example, the study found there was a higher beauty premium among private sector lawyers than their government-supported counterparts since private attorneys need to attract and keep clients.

If that weren't enough, the Fed also discovered a "plainness penalty," punishing below-average-looks with earnings of 9 percent less an hour.

"Certain characteristics, such as appearance, might affect productivity in ways that are not as easily measured (or as obvious) as are other characteristics, like education or experience," said the report, adding that the effects looks have on self-confidence, communication and social skills were unknown.

Another possible explanation for the wage disparity: good, old-fashioned discrimination, said the Fed.

For example, the wage differential discovered for obesity seems to be limited to white women, the study said, belying an unmeasured productivity explanation.

Economists also found that women considered obese in terms of their body mass index (BMI) in both 1981 and 1988 earned 17 percent less than women within their recommended BMI range.

And while weight seemed to dog women, short men get the short end of the stick. Economists found a "height premium" among white men, with a 1.8-percent increase in wages for every additional inch of height over the national median.
------

So, Zora, Carolina, TexAss--you're all Filthy rich, RIGHT?!?!

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by Lex

And while weight seemed to dog women, short men get the short end of the stick. Economists found a "height premium" among white men, with a 1.8-percent increase in wages for every additional inch of height over the national median.
[post=298749]Quoted post[/post]​
Too bad I'm not white, then.

But seriously, I'm doing just fine. Not sure if my height has something to do with it, though. Actually, scratch that. On our first date, my now fiancée couldn't stop talking about my height (I'm 6' 11-1/2", she's only 5'4") I'm pretty sure she has a thing for very tall men. I don't think it's all that common though.

Maybe someone else can shed some light on this.

hung_big: Doesn't really shock me. People try not to be biased (actually, some don't, but anyway), but still the less fortunate in terms of physical experience end up being brushed off or ridiculed.

I don't think I've experienced this first hand, but it is quite sad to see. But I suppose image is a part of the working package, but it definetly should not be the ONLY qualification, like it sometimes is.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hi,

Even though the article refers to certain types of individuals as "pretty", most of the characteristics mentioned are more a matter of grooming and discipline. Many of the grooming and weight issues can also be seen as signs of low self esteem or even depression and those might effect low productivity. Looking good is an all around ego boost and it engenders affirmation from others . So the problem can be cyclical....

Naughty

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, pretty people might earn 5% more, but they spend it on beauty products! I'll settle for my less than stellar income and more comfortable life, thank you.

hung_big:
Originally posted by madame_zora@Apr 9 2005, 03:48 PM
Well, pretty people might earn 5% more, but they spend it on beauty products! I'll settle for my less than stellar income and more comfortable life, thank you.
[post=298917]Quoted post[/post]​

But Jana, you're gorgeous. How does that work :huh:?

hung_big: Damn it...it doesn't? I was planning to major in Phychology, History or English. I guess English is the only option.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hi,

The flip side of the "pretty" factor is that in upper levels of management it has been traditionally hard for super feminine looking women to be promoted because of the assumptions that she may not have gotten there by merit. On the other hand a handsome man generally does not have those problems. Does the expression, "Don't hate me because I am beautiful! " apply here? It still seems the best bet is to is run fast, study hard, work smart, network well , develop your people skills, and finally.... cut back on the donuts! LOL!

Naughty

steve319

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
DAMNIT!

And I thought being a young, white, educated, American male gave me all the unfair advantages I would ever need. Now I need to be pretty too? x(

So much for my scheme to rule the world!

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
Originally posted by hung_big@Apr 9 2005, 11:06 PM
Damn it...it doesn't? I was planning to major in Phychology, History or English. I guess English is the only option.
[post=298978]Quoted post[/post]​
given that you misspelled "psychology", I guess history is the only viable option left...

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Zora's SO right about needing a teaching certificate if you major in History, English, Psychology, etc.

I would suggest minoring in edcuation and taking the praxis tests for teaching once you finish. We SO desperately need good teachers. I have been considering a return to the classroom from administration but only if they agree to pay me what I make now so I can maintain my family's quality of life.

hung_big:
Originally posted by Dr Rock+Apr 9 2005, 08:48 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr Rock &#064; Apr 9 2005, 08:48 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-hung_big@Apr 9 2005, 11:06 PM
Damn it...it doesn&#39;t? I was planning to major in Phychology, History or English. I guess English is the only option.
[post=298978]Quoted post[/post]​
given that you misspelled "psychology", I guess history is the only viable option left...
[post=299033]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

*Tries to sound street* Why you hatin&#39; Rock, WHY YOU HATIN&#39;? You trippin me out dawg. :D

Dr. Bubbles

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have mixed emotions about this commentary......

Being a former pageant contestant and winner of several titles, I naturally think this is bias. However, in the same token, I can see some validity as I do work as a higher end education administrator at one a premier institution of higher learning. I have seen where looks can assist in promotions. The flip side, however, is that physical appearances can also demise those endeavors, as some may feel that the candidate is just another pretty face and is not capable of meeting the merit of the position. From that, I beg to differ.

Naughty had it right, I think when discussing it being more hygiene and grooming. What defines beauty? Pageant winner? Bodybuilder type? What, really?

Jana... hmmm... some of those "pretty people" do spend a small fortune on beauty items... but, like you said, some don&#39;t. You don&#39;t and you are gorgeous. Oh, and just so you all know... I don&#39;t either. I would much rather spend my money on shoes, bags and clothes&#33;

And on an end note... "Don&#39;t hate me because I am beautiful."