Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
This is a very important point. I wonder if the mother and father of this boy are truly accepting their son's autism because they are repeatedly trying to push him into a situation that is stressful for him. Sure, at some level you need to push your children to do things they don't want to, but if they truly accept who their son is and what his limitations are, they wouldn't repeatedly put him in a situation that is obviously so stressful that he can't control his outbursts. I think a lot of parents with children with various disabilities want so badly to have a normal child and a normal life, they neglect to see what some of the realities of their situation is.

I notice parents of non-disabled children do the same thing. I don't know how many times I've been in a mall and a child is screaming because they are obviously tired or otherwise can't cope with shopping any longer. Instead of taking into account that their kid is 4 or 5 and can't handle all the walking and noise and boredom of the mall as well as an adult can and get out of there, the parents scream at the child for being "bad." It's the same with a quiet restaurant-- sometimes young children simply can't cope with sitting at a table for an hour. As a parent you have to know your child's limitations and work within them. Sure, you have to teach your children how to behave in those situations, but you have to do it at an age-appropriate level.

It seem like you recognize your daughter's limitations and you've also addressed them so that she isn't as limited in the right way (read: not screaming at her in the mall to shut up). Good for you.

Thanks. I've had her in a lot of speech, physical and occupational therapy since she was 2 (she is 6 now) and it helped me as well as helped her. I never expect my child to sit in silence or boredom anywhere we go. She has a pink iPod shuffle with her music burned on it. When she has her headphones on she can tune out anything so long as she wants to listen to it. We also have a Hello Kitty bag with wheels so she can pull it behind her when we go anywhere. Inside of this bag is snacks, drinks and a ton of craft materials from squiggly scizzors, glue, glitter, stickers, etc. If you give any child something to do its amazing how quiet they can be.

I am in no way comparing this to what should be done with the autistic kid in question by any means. I'm simply explaining how my own experiences have provoked creativity as a parent.

I am a pretty quiet person in public so when my kid starts acting like a basketcase....sometimes i have to snap her back into reality because people are staring and other times i realize she might just need Momma to hold her, stroke her skin softly, or hand her a project to work on.

No_Strings

Expert Member
Media
Not worth molestin'? That's a bannin'.

I pretty much agree with the priests decision, as it seems any sensibly minded person does. I'm not experienced enough with autism to offer much more than that, so I'll leave you senoritas to it and maybe learn a thing or two. :smile:

WifeOfBath

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Not worth molestin'? That's a bannin'.

I pretty much agree with the priests decision, as it seems any sensibly minded person does. I'm not experienced enough with autism to offer much more than that, so I'll leave you senoritas to it and maybe learn a thing or two. :smile:

Did you just refer to me as a senorita?

I'm a MAN, dammit. And I'm 100% straight!!! Were you hitting on me? I don't like the gays hitting on me or looking at my cock!

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Sorry - where's the bit of the article that says he didn't? I missed that reference...
Ah, lovely MB, how often you don't recognize my sarcasm. I should say positive spiritual comfort.
Which if I read the article right, showed no signs of that.
sorry for the confusion.:kiss:

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
Well that sucks for the family but perhaps they should have looked into alternatives for their son, he simply can't handle sitting for an hour. God knows I can't either with that mass crap droning on.

Ms.Teacher

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
According to Walz, Adam struck a child during mass, nearly knocks elderly parishioners over when he hastily exits the church, spits and sometimes urinates in church and fights when he is being restrained. He also one time assaulted a girl by pulling her onto his lap and, during Easter mass, ran to the parking lot and got into two vehicles, starting them and revving the engine, Walz alleged. "There were people directly in front of the car who could have been injured or killed if he had put the car in gear," Walz wrote. Adam's parents have to sit on him and sometimes tie his hands and feet to get control of him, Walz wrote. Carol Race has an answer to each complaint. She said her son makes spitting faces but doesn't spit and acknowledged he has occasional problems with incontinence. She says that she and her husband sit on Adam because their weight calms him down, which is why he pulled the girl onto him.

If all of this is true, I see no problem in him being banned from the church.

He's out of control, and it's unfair for the parishioners who go there to worship. If his parents and doctors can somehow work with him to get his problems under control, then he could possibly go back. Unfortunately, some forms of autism are extremely difficult to treat, so that may not even be a possibility.

His actions wouldn't be tolerated in a restaurant, movie theater or mall, so I don't see it as intolerance on behalf of the church whatsoever.

Captain Elephant

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This is just a sad situation. One place where you would think anyone could enjoy asylum would be a church. But asking everyone to be tolerant of constant distractions during group worship it a tall order as well. News flash: not everyone going to church is going to be tolerant.

I agree with those who think there should be some accommodations made for him to attend services. I know a bunch of churches that have cry rooms for young children.

And now for the flip side: what were his parents thinking? Or were they? Sorry, it's not your duty to burden us with your cross. You don't want my problems and I don't want yours. There is a small minority of physically challenged people who want to throw their disability in your face, something certainly not appreciated by those who respect them.