Prince Philip Dead At 99.

ttmax

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
State broadcaster went into full North Korean mode over the passing of a 99yo racist - and they're still at it, even after the funeral, and in spite of over 110,000 complaints about their blanket sycophantic coverage. Meat and drink for the battalion of "royal experts"

Let's hope that Britain grows up and becomes a republic after the nazi queen joins her husband. A country can't claim to be a proper democracy if a citizen can't aspire to become head of state.

Thank goodness Scotland is destined to become independent soon and we can leave Brexit Britain to continue on its journey to fascism.

D

deleted848353

State broadcaster went into full North Korean mode over the passing of a 99yo racist - and they're still at it, even after the funeral, and in spite of over 110,000 complaints about their blanket sycophantic coverage. Meat and drink for the battalion of "royal experts"

Let's hope that Britain grows up and becomes a republic after the nazi queen joins her husband. A country can't claim to be a proper democracy if a citizen can't aspire to become head of state.

Thank goodness Scotland is destined to become independent soon and we can leave Brexit Britain to continue on its journey to fascism.
Once Scotland is independent weather or not the monarchy carries on it wont effect you

malakos

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
State broadcaster went into full North Korean mode...

I guess you think it's okay that pretty much every claim in your post was outrageously hyperbolic.

N. Korea marks end of Kim Jong Il mourning period

"North Korea marked the end of a three-year mourning period for the late leader Kim Jong Il on Wednesday...

The anniversary of Kim Jong Il’s death three years ago was observed by sirens ringing out across the country at noon. Trains, ships and cars sounded their horns and masses of North Koreans fell silent for three minutes as they bowed toward the mausoleum in Pyongyang where Kim Jong Il and his father, “eternal president” Kim Il Sung, lie in state.

... people expected to take part in meetings exulting his memory and making a show of solemn behavior, not drinking alcohol and not taking part in any kind of entertainment."

Note that this was the level of expectation at the end of a 3 year period of mourning. I assume it was considerably more intense in the period immediately following his passing.

Reactions: ConanTheBarber

jamieb25

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Delighted to know you never for one moment wondered what colour the baby would from the offspring of a 45% black American and a redhead because that would really be a racist thought!

I didn't, not even once, cause who cares and what effect would that have on me or my life so why would I think about it other than 'poor Meghan having to put up with that shit from her own in-laws smh'???
You're just revealing more of your racism while trying to pull a 'aha i'm sure you also believe/think this like I do' mate. Sure I've thought racist stuff before, especially cause I was younger and cause I was raised in a family where my grandparents believed Indian and Pakistani people were brown cause of generations of eating curry and not bathing enough, but I also grew as a person and considered the things they said and tried to teach me and learned that they were wrong, I'm definitely not perfect or anything but I've worked to combat the things I learned, you know, like adults do.

jamieb25

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't find them hilarious. And I would be dismayed to see someone in their twenties expressing some of those views. But in Philip, who was born in the early 1920s, I find someone who was fully shaped before the Second World War, probably typifies the views of a lot of Inglishmun of a certain age and class, and whose refusal to adapt to changing times probably wins some points, among some people, for an "I-yam-what-I-yam" authenticity.
I agree that he wasn't a bad character.
He was good enough. He was vivid. He was, at least imo, surprisingly real.
And he did the job.

Phil was Greek and there were plenty of people born into his generation who were racists and sexists but there were also plenty who campaigned to free the Commonwealth and ensure everyone could vote etc. Being old and still being a racist, sexist, ableist etc is actually worse, cause it's means you've lived through almost a century and still not grown as a person or learned anything from the world around you, especially this last century full of fighting fascism, striving for civil rights and equality and marginalized communities gaining a voice for the first time.

njersey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
"How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to pass the test?"
"Do you still throw spears at each other?"
"If you stay here much longer you will all be slitty-eyed,"

This isn't called 'observational comedy' in the UK, it's called being a racist cunt, unless you're a royalist and then a member of the royal family could piss in your mothers mouth and you'd find a way to excuse them for it.

Not knowing the context, his tone, or the reaction of whoever he was communicating with, I couldn’t say.

I’m not about to get worked up about someone who’s dead. lol

jamieb25

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Not knowing the context, his tone, or the reaction of whoever he was communicating with, I couldn’t say.

I’m not about to get worked up about someone who’s dead. lol

That was said to people studying in Asia who weren't themselves Asian, there's the context
The tone was him being a racist and thinking it was funny
The reaction was 'yikes'

I'm not worked up about him either, I just live here and have to listen to people making excuses for him all day long since he died and for the entirety of my life before that, making any reach they can to explain it away, ignore it, or make light of it.

jamieb25

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm honestly not sure how you can read;

And think 'i don't know the context, tone or reaction', that's a really FoxNews 'here's video evidence but I don't want to admit it makes the situation clear so I have to be as vague as possible' attitude don't you think? I mean come on, how much more obvious could be it? Can you really not read any of those three statements and say 'yes, this is definitely something that I or a prince could say without being at all offensive and meaning only good things'.
When would you ever visit Australia and ask indigenous people if they throw spears at each other? or Scotland, who you're family have repeatedly invaded and subjugated, and then ask someone who teaches people how to drive how they keep Scottish people sober long enough to pass their test???? I know he's not standing in front of an orphanage and saying he hates poor people before throwing a Molotov cocktail threw the window but does it need to be that cut and dry and obvious for you?

jamieb25

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Some things are just black and white, no shades of grey. The things he said to people could be lumped into three categories;

Inappropriate; Making remarks about not visiting Russia cause they killed his family. Not something to be said during the cold war when you're the husband/cousin of a monarch.
Offensive and also inappropriate; Asking female members of the military/ politicians/ heads of state what kind of panties they wear or if they've worked in a strip club. Not something to be saying to a woman you don't know under any circumstances.
Blatantly bigoted; the 'slitty eyed' comment, asking indigenous people if they still throw spears at each other, comparing the traditional robes of an African president to a nightgown, claiming the 'cantonese' will eat anything while also disparaging their country etc. Stupid shit based on racism, ignorance and outdated stereotypes.

There are some things you can't just be a centrist about, you either have to stow the 'i don't know the context, tone or reaction' thing and just admit you don't want to think about it or take a second to use basic reading comprehension to figure it out, consider it/ look it up and find out, or admit you agree but don't want to be judged for it.

njersey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm honestly not sure how you can read;

And think 'i don't know the context, tone or reaction', that's a really FoxNews 'here's video evidence but I don't want to admit it makes the situation clear so I have to be as vague as possible' attitude don't you think? I mean come on, how much more obvious could be it? Can you really not read any of those three statements and say 'yes, this is definitely something that I or a prince could say without being at all offensive and meaning only good things'.
When would you ever visit Australia and ask indigenous people if they throw spears at each other? or Scotland, who you're family have repeatedly invaded and subjugated, and then ask someone who teaches people how to drive how they keep Scottish people sober long enough to pass their test???? I know he's not standing in front of an orphanage and saying he hates poor people before throwing a Molotov cocktail threw the window but does it need to be that cut and dry and obvious for you?

Here’s an analogous joke for you (and don’t worry, I’m all these things so it’s okay even by today’s standards).

A gay man and a Jew meet in a bar. They have some drinks and decide to hook up. They both get up and go to leave and the gay man asks, “are you going to leave the tip?” The Jew replies, “Are you crazy? No real Jew leaves the tip!”

Get it? Because gay men are hypersexual and make their dates pay and Jews are both cheap and circumcised? It’s funny because it’s not true. Minus the circumcision.

This introduces a logical complication. You see, I’m not homophobic or anti-semitic. I’m quite in love with myself and my sexuality and my ethnicity are my favorite aspects of myself.

So is my joke homophobic and anti-semitic? Can my words be something I’m not? Maybe only if I really meant it? Maybe it depends on who hears it? Maybe if it is a reflection of my true beliefs?

If I just wrote it down anonymously and someone found it, would the joke still be homophobic and anti-semitic?

Before we get too anthropomorphic here: words aren’t human beings. They don’t hold beliefs or opinions. Human beings do.

Now go through those lines. Do you really believe a presumably sane, reasonably educated adult would *truly* believe any of those things? Or was he making off-color jokes?

Do bad jokes make bad people?

ConanTheBarber

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Here’s an analogous joke for you (and don’t worry, I’m all these things so it’s okay even by today’s standards).

A gay man and a Jew meet in a bar. They have some drinks and decide to hook up. They both get up and go to leave and the gay man asks, “are you going to leave the tip?” The Jew replies, “Are you crazy? No real Jew leaves the tip!”

Get it? Because gay men are hypersexual and make their dates pay and Jews are both cheap and circumcised? It’s funny because it’s not true. Minus the circumcision.

This introduces a logical complication. You see, I’m not homophobic or anti-semitic. I’m quite in love with myself and my sexuality and my ethnicity are my favorite aspects of myself.

So is my joke homophobic and anti-semitic? Can my words be something I’m not? Maybe only if I really meant it? Maybe it depends on who hears it? Maybe if it is a reflection of my true beliefs?

If I just wrote it down anonymously and someone found it, would the joke still be homophobic and anti-semitic?

Before we get too anthropomorphic here: words aren’t human beings. They don’t hold beliefs or opinions. Human beings do.

Now go through those lines. Do you really believe a presumably sane, reasonably educated adult would *truly* believe any of those things? Or was he making off-color jokes?

Very good post, njersey.

DiamondJoe

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay

2 points:

1/ without words/language people have no higher thoughts, concepts, ideas, imagination, history, memory or future. The language we use defines the world around us.

2/ if you have to explain a joke, it's not funny ;)

jamieb25

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

Wow, you didn't just jump through hoops to make being a bigot okay as long as someone can dismiss it as 'jokes', you also set the hoops on fire and drenched yourself in gasoline and give us a nonsensical logic puzzle for why anyone can tell a homophobic or anti-semitic joke cause words 'don't hold beliefs or opinions' apparently and if someone spends decades saying racist, sexist and ableist things that doesn't mean they actually believe them, not is they're an educated adult oh no, those people never mean it when what they say for 50+ years, wow. Bravo, I've never seen anyone shit the bed and be so happy about it before.

jamieb25

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm done with this thread now, unless I buy a 'how to explain why saying racist things is bad to a kid' book I don't see anything here becoming constructive or making sense at all.

ConanTheBarber

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
1/ without words/language people have no higher thoughts, concepts, ideas, imagination, history, memory or future. The language we use defines the world around us.
Who in this situation is without language?
2/ if you have to explain a joke, it's not funny ;)
To the person you have to explain it to. Which certainly includes jamieb and perhaps includes you.
But that doesn't mean the joke is not funny to anyone.

DiamondJoe

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Who in this situation is without language?.

Everybody on the planet starts this way, before we acquire language we have no thoughts or memories as we cannot describe the world around us - we are instinctive.

As a general rule of thumb, if you have to explain the joke, it's not funny. I said you were contrary :D

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
time for the thread to take a break from life;ik,e the duke wsely did
noone can deny vacating a scene

never thought/expected a relatively serious/thread acknowledging someones passing,would dereioate into its current content

known of others of less importance,closrd/dissapearing

way of the CV world of 2021,an d 13 plus cocks nun
joke

no explnation requiredxd
all males proudly have such
joke2

ConanTheBarber

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Everybody on the planet starts this way, before we acquire language we have no thoughts or memories as we cannot describe the world around us - we are instinctive.

Yes, but who in this situation would be so described? What is the point of mentioning this?

As a general rule of thumb, if you have to explain the joke, it's not funny. I said you were contrary :D

Agreed. To which I made the additional comment that a joke can be self-explanatory to one person (and hence requiring no explanation), and quite otherwise to another.
Njersey was explaining a joke, not because the joke would have failed with most hearers (the jury is out on that, I suppose), but because the person he was addressing seemed not to understand the possible grammar of humour that might have stood behind Prince Phil's occasional social excrescences.