Principal Quits Over GBLT/Straight Alliance in School

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Well, well, well...

CNN Video

[FONT=Palatino, Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=+2]Principal quits job over 'gay' alliance[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Palatino, Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=+1]'We do not have other student clubs focusing on sexual orientation, preference or activity'[/SIZE][/FONT] [SIZE=-1]Posted: May 21, 2008
11:50 pm Eastern

[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] © 2008 WorldNetDaily
[/SIZE]
The principal of a South Carolina public school announced he plans to resign following a demand to launch a student club to promote homosexuality.
"The formation of this club conflicts with my professional beliefs in that we do not have other clubs at Irmo High School based on sexual orientation, sexual preference, or sexual activity," Principal Eddie Walker told the school community in a letter.

His letter said he planned to announce his pending departure to students via the intercom today, but school officials told WND that had been delayed as the school dealt with the sudden death of a student.
However, school district spokesman Buddy Price issued a statement confirming Walker's decision.

"I can confirm that the principal of Irmo High School, Mr. Eddie Walker, has communicated to his staff that he has submitted a letter of resignation effective at the end of the 2008-2009 school year. He cites personal principles related to a request to establish a Gay/Straight Alliance Club at the school as the reason for his resignation," wrote Price.

"While the district respects Mr. Walker's position in this matter, our attorneys have advised us that because Irmo High School has permitted the formation of a number of non-curricular clubs at the school, the federal law known as the Equal Access Act does not permit the school to discriminate against a club based on the club's purpose," he continued.
Walker said in his written statement he had planned to remain at the school for two more years.

"I am currently in good health, am excited about the future of Irmo High school, am making new friends every day and continuing to learn from my student heroes on a daily basis," he said.

However, his letter of resignation was sent to school officials because of orders he allow the homosexual club.

"Allowing the formation of this club on our campus conflicts with my professional beliefs and religious convictions. I considered resigning this year but reconsidered because to not fulfill my written contract for the 2008-2009 school year would also conflict with my professional beliefs and religious convictions," he wrote.

"I feel the formation of a Gay/Straight Alliance Club at Irmo High school implies that students joining the club will have chosen to or will choose to engage in sexual activity with members of the same sex, opposite sex or members of both sexes."

"My decision to resign is a personal choice based on my professional beliefs and religious convictions. I have prayed about this decision for a period of time, and I have a peace about it. I would ask that you respect my choice as I respect your choice to disagree with me on this issue," he wrote.
Price told WND that the person making the request for the club was a student who would not be identified.

WND has reported extensively on the nationwide campaign by homosexual clubs to inject homosexuality into public schools.
Such clubs typically are cited as the sponsors of the annual "Day of Silence" promotional event for homosexuality.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Well, good riddance to him.
Last time I checked, most schools didn't need a "heterosexual alliance". And it's interesting he's against the formation of a club based on the fear of encouraging students to have sex, when most High School students already have engaged in sex before they even walk into the school's doors. Completely ridiculous.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I understand where he's coming from.

Really? As a former school administrator and someone who was taught school law--I don't get it at all. You can feel the way you feel--but the law is absolutely clear on the issue of allowing certain groups to organize and use school property while not allowing others. Either you let them all or you let none of them.

The assumption that the mention or existence of this alliance somehow will promote gay sex is absurd. It is as absurd as saying that teaching sex education promotes sex--it really does not. Gay-straight alliances DO promote pride and allow gay, bisexual, and transgendered youth to feel safe and accepted in their schools and community. I guess some would rather see teens hang themselves than be happy.

He obviously feels that being gay is a choice (it isn't) and is acting accordingly.

Good riddance, I say. He can always be a private school administrator (religious or otherwise).

1BiGG1

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
The school will not miss a religious freak that’s into condemning innocents that do not fit in with his alleged gods small-minded wishes. Maybe he can find a rock big enough to crawl under because that’s exactly where he belongs.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Good riddance to bad rubbish, I say. :12:

If clubs like this can prevent GLBT teens from committing suicide because they think they are alone, doomed, freaks, or that no one understands, then I think we should mandate them; and have them in every high school across the country.:cool:

People like the principal below need more than sensitivity training. They should not be working in education at all.

Principal Who Outed Students Called on to Change Policies

Saturday May 3, 2008

Last September, Memphis, Tennessee principal Daphne Beasley instructed teachers to provide her with lists of all the couples at school. Her rational? Doing so would help her cut down on what she saw as excessive public displays of affection.

After receiving the lists, she then posted the names of all the couples! On the list was a gay couple who had not previously been out about their relationship or sexual orientations. As a result, the entire school, as well as the boys' parents, discovered that they were gay.

One of the boys told his local news station, "I really feel that my personal privacy was invaded. I mean, Principal Beasley called my mother and outed me to my mother!"

Additionally, the boys were subject to verbal harassment and weren't allowed to go on a school trip to New Orleans to rebuild houses, because their teacher claimed they "would "embarrass" the school by engaging in gay affection."

Last week the ACLU took action and sent a letter to Memphis city schools, explaining that the boys' rights had been violated. The letter also sought a change in school policies about student privacy, and asked for disciplinary action to be taken against the principal.

unabear09

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
good riddence to bad rubbish! a person does not need to seek a job where he/she is in charge of or surrounded by other people (who are different from them) if he/she is intolerate of anything but White Anglo Saxon Protestants. Shame on him, and on anyone who agrees with the actions of this dumbass.

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The thing about this principal...or any one really... when they say they don't "approve" of the gays...they often don't like other groups too...they just aren't saying that outloud. I mean, a "one group bigot" just doesn't really exist to me. I can't stand a faculty person in a public shool setting not supporting ALL the students. Yet, I see it and work with it.

My school thinks they're all clever. Example: the prom does not have a couple's ticket. They sell two individual tickets together. You can by ticket, if you want, all by yourself. This way, if two gay kids go together...they didn't go as a couple according to the school...they just arrived together. I think it is a chicken shit way of not taking a stand against the haters. The students are not really aware this is the reason. They have cut all clubs that are not directly related to standards. This way the gay/lesbian group can't exist. When they did this... some old community clubs got the axe...they didn't care...this was all a ploy to undermind gays and lesbians.

B_jacknapier

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
CUBE, are you into Timecube?

As for why I can understand where the principle is coming from, well, he doesn't want sex-related clubs in the school. It's a moral stance that he feels strongly enough about that he's resigning over it.

Off topic, and not necessarily regarding this thread, why is it that liberals find it so difficult to be concise? A man can only read so many outraged diatribes in a day.

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
Fuck him, the school doesn't need his crap to be run. I wanted to have a gay/straight alliance at my school.. but they were hardcore catholic and nothing like that would be allowed.

1BiGG1

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay

As for why I can understand where the principle is coming from, well, he doesn't want sex-related clubs in the school. It's a moral stance that he feels strongly enough about that he's resigning over it.

Off topic, and not necessarily regarding this thread, why is it that liberals find it so difficult to be concise? A man can only read so many outraged diatribes in a day.

The principle doesn’t want “sex” clubs? Nobody was asking him to allow one so that doesn’t make much sense.

FWIW: I’m not a liberal; I’m a conservative = fiscally anyway. Unfortunately too many equate a conservative with the religious right and that’s one form of lunacy you will never see me taking part in. Thomas Jefferson & Company put religion in the closet where it belongs and the principle of this school belongs in the closet with his religious friends, not the teenagers who go there and happen to be gay.

B_Demention

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
To be honest, I think these sorts of alliances ostracize minority groups even further by creating unnecessary polarizations. That's the basis of why I'd be against it. It's self-defeating. We can't possibly teach kids how to be accepting of homosexuals if people insist on creating segregations in every aspect of life. It's yet another completely fruitless 'them and us' situation, which is pretty much the problem with the world today if you ask me. I'd rather schools introduced a class about tolerance rather than creating clubs based on orientation.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

And that lays the problem.
When it comes to people like Eddie Walker, they can't help but think about sex. The mentioning of the word "gay" puts an image in his mind about two guys (or girls) in bed doing the nasty. And that's usually the ONLY thing that comes to mind. Most homophobes can't come to grips that there's more to gay life than icky, man on man butt sex. Hence the phobia and the irrational thinking.

The whole purpose of the LGBT club is to lend these people emotional support so they can cope with everyday life. It's essentially special counseling and guidance for those who have problems that are different from everyday, heterosexual kids. It's not a ticket to sex parties and hookups. Because let's face it... teenagers will fuck whether they're in a school club or not. Using a LGBT club is just a cop-out.

B_jacknapier

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
"My decision to resign is a personal choice based on my professional beliefs and religious convictions. I have prayed about this decision for a period of time, and I have a peace about it. I would ask that you respect my choice as I respect your choice to disagree with me on this issue,"

He's not trying to stop anyone. He's just quitting. I honestly don't see why you people feel the need to deride him. You may think his beliefs are backward, but he's entitled to them.

Perhaps he thinks homosexuality is a sin. Well, I don't believe in sin. But I can respect others' religious convictions.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
OK, I’ll bite … so what do we have …. a little homophobia action going on here? Afraid the teenagers will be allowed to come out of the closet and let everybody know they are just normal everyday folks?
:yup:
Yup, that's pretty much it in a nutshell. :frown1:

To be honest, I think these sorts of alliances ostracize minority groups even further by creating unnecessary polarizations. That's the basis of why I'd be against it. It's self-defeating. We can't possibly teach kids how to be accepting of homosexuals if people insist on creating segregations in every aspect of life. It's yet another completely fruitless 'them and us' situation, which is pretty much the problem with the world today if you ask me. I'd rather schools introduced a class about tolerance rather than creating clubs based on orientation.
I see your point, but I disagree. These kids are often harassed, ostracized, and beaten up not just at school but at home. :12: :frown1: They need some place to study, vent, and be safe doing it. They especially need a compassionate adult advisor. Many high school students regardless of their sexuality have no positive adult in their lives.

I agree with introducing classes on tolerance, I'm just not sure how effective they will be.

D_Ivana Dickenside

Sexy Member
Media
i can see where this principle guy is coming from. i wouldn't support something i didn't believe in either. however, that doesn't mean he has to go out with a bang and declare that he's against having a gay-straight alliance club at his school. as a school administrator, he should be advocating freedom of speech and not silencing and censoring the students.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

Please explain to me what is "segregated" about a group that is comprised of straight, gay, bisexual and transgendered youth? It's called an alliance. The express purpose of groups like these is to demonstrate that gay, bisexual and straight youth can and do get along, interact and work towards common goals, mainly, reduced marginalization of fringe groups. How is that polarizing?

For something to be segregated, it has to be designed for one group exclusively, and these groups are not.

Further--the whole point is that the schools do not create the clubs--the students do--in and of their own volition. There are pretty clear rules about club formation in schools and what school districts should allow ("equal access" as long as rules are not broken).

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Big surprise there, huh?

It isn't a sex-related club. Swinger Incorporated is a sex-related club. A Gay/Straight alliance is a club that encourages people of different viewpoints to get together and discover that they also have similarities, and encourages them to learn cooperation and tolerance. I don't know of a school that has extracurricular clubs that doesn't also require a faculty sponsor.

You (and that principal) make it sound like they just get together and have sex. I guess that's just your own proclivities coming through.
jacknapier said:
Maybe it's the same reason that you conclude that anyone who doesn't agree with your narrow view is a liberal.
But you see, that's the whole point of the club. It isn't a LGBT club, it's a gay/straight alliance. Its whole purpose is to include, not to exclude.