Prison vs. jail?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by BigA, Jun 5, 2007.

1. BigA

BigA New Member

I'm wondering the difference right now. Because it seems media don't know how to report. And reading from the Paris Hilton thread on here people don't know either.

2. Jean39pa

Jean39pa New Member

Jail and prison are two independent and different things and are not synonymous.

Jail = county incarceration, generally involving shorter sentences and lesser crimes.

Prison = state or federal incarceration, longer sentences including life and death row, for felony crimes.

Any other questions?

3. BigA

BigA New Member

well, you answered what I thought I knew. But why have there been reports Paris Hilton is spending time in prison? Get it?

I'm one who majored in journalism in college. But I am also one who has been arrested but never sent to prison. There is a real difference.

4. danerain

Gold Member

Albums:
    which one do people get raped in . . ?

5. Jean39pa

Jean39pa New Member

Because the reporters are getting it wrong, some have brains and experiecne, some have less.

6. BigA

BigA New Member

Are you talking about rape me in the ass prison? It might happen. I don't know.. but prison I guess

7. hungmormon

hungmormon New Member

generally if some does get raped it is prison

8. dong20

Gold Member

Here's one: Prison is always a noun, jail can be a noun or a verb.

9. BigA

BigA New Member

I don't think think so. They're both used interchangeably, wrong. much of the time if you say imprisoned

10. arliss

Gold Member

Albums:

people get raped in both venues ----in jail and in prison

11. BigA

BigA New Member

I fucking doubt it. Actually the whole purpuse of this thread is to enlighten peoplen who may be less in the know, that there is a difference

12. arliss

Gold Member

Albums:

yes the purpose of the thread is understood ...if u read on i was responding to a comment asking about rape and in which it occurs.. what is it you doubt...? and why the harsh tone?

13. BigA

BigA New Member

are u fucking serious? please explain. I doubt it

14. arliss

Gold Member

Albums:
    explain what? prsion rape..dude go on the net or to a library and get a volume of books on prsion rape..read some of the stories...enlighten ya mind..talk to people who have spent time in both jail and prison and listen to the stories they could bombard you with....even in youth detention centers this is common..i am a broadcast journalism student at NYU in NYC..... i did my internship at Riker's Island.....in the youth detention center..the adolescent remand detention center..... .the Men's House of Detention ....my personal training gig allows me to live the lifestyle to which i have become accustomed but my career goal is to be a Broadcast Journalist... now again i am asking you cos u never answered..what is it you doubt....that rape occurs in jail and in prsions? you must have lived life under a rock for the last few years.... get real dude...stop being an asshole...

15. arliss

Gold Member

Albums:
    Big A didn't have the balls to come back but he did send this private message to me

BigA vbmenu_register("postmenu_", true);

http://www.lpsg.org/avatars/custom/avatar28105_7.gif

99% Straight, 1% Gay

I'm sorry if I made an asshole comment. I'll talk to to you later. It hit me now.

16. canuck_pa

Gold Member

Putting the whole rape issue aside I didn't know there was a difference between jail and prison. You learn something new everyday.

17. circumstances

circumstances New Member

here in florida the maximum jail sentence is a year less a day (364), and you are kept locally. any sentence one year or greater is a prison sentence, and you get sent to a prison facility elsewhere.

this applies to felonies. the maximum sentence for a first degree misdemeanor is a year in the county jail (no chance of prison), so even if you commit several misdemeanors and they run your sentence consecutive, you would just do 364 followed by 364 followed by 364 etc. in the county jail. i don't believe you can be sent to prison for a series of misdemeanors.

as for paris, who knows? it might have something to do with california, or the crimes she was on probation for, or the fact that there is no good "woman's facility" at the county jail so they had to put her into some local "woman's prison" to serve her sentence. most likely anybody else that had to do 20 something days in jail for a violation of probation would have just reported to the county jail (if, in fact, that isn't where paris went).

18. CPearl

CPearl New Member

Like others have said - jail is generally short-term, prison long-term. Jail can also be where one is held prior to sentencing. I've never heard of anyone being sent to prison for a misdemeanor, but one can spend a night or two in jail for any number of reasons.

19. dong20

Gold Member

I do think so. And I was talking about the actual words not their 'meaning' as in that sense of course they're used interchangely. The premise of the thread is stupid because of that fact, hence my post, I though that was obvious, duh!

By the way, imprisoned is an adjective or the past tense of verb imprison. Imprisoned, like jailed is the past tense of jail or an adjective. But prison and jail in the forms stated are not adjectives.

Prison the noun and IMprison the verb are the same, how exactly? I suppose like press and IMpress...are the same perhaps.

Never mind.:rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted