Privacy Cluelessness

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by wappingite, Nov 8, 2011.

1. wappingite

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Does anyone else find it a bit shocking the number of people on here who casually reveal their entire names to complete strangers when putting links to their email and Skype addresses. People, you CAN set up new accounts with silly or anonymous names instead of shitting where you eat.

2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I'm always shocked when people post this type of information but never surprised when later they contact the moderators to remove it after they have been outed by a spouse or employer etc...
    Use some common sense people... even if we later delete or edit your information it has already been captured by a search engine.

3. D_Hairy Truman

D_Hairy Truman New Member

i'm not ashamed of my body

4. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Me neither. It's my mind I'm worried about.

5. EllieP

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I admit that I got a bit lax about giving out too much information, and I got burned. I was stalked to my Facebook page, and that really freaked me out! My sister has visited this site and saw my various avatars and was appalled that I would put up my real photo. Hopefully, it's now distorted enough to where I'm somewhat unrecognizable, but she says that she can tell it's still me. Well, she's my sister, so yeah, probably.

I make a mistake of uploading a real photo to my gallery, and I think that's what did it because the same photo is on my Facebook gallery. Stupid, I know.

6. midlifebear

Gold Member

So, letting everyone know that I'm actually Willard Fillmore was a bad thing?

7. Hand_Solo

Gold Member

Sheesh, like we didn't already know.

8. jojolongdong

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Mmmm. I don't think your username is silly.

9. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

I find it a bit shocking, but just because it's something I wouldn't do, doesn't mean that others can't/shouldn't do, if they so choose.

10. bimetaldude

bimetaldude Member

Albums:
    even on facebook i have a made up last name.:smile:

11. D_JohnQPubic

D_JohnQPubic New Member

My real name is Marzipan McMuffin. NO ONE would have believed I was a real person if I used that! Not to mention they would have found out how many times I have run for congress.

12. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

I agree with NudeYorker 100%. I would also like to add a few thoughts. I think most members are aware of the lack of privacy on the internet and take precautions to secure their privacy. However many don't. Once you type your full name or phone# thats it as he said. Also remember to never throw out or donate a computer without removing or doing a secure erase of the hard dive. Anyone can get that hard drive and get all your personal information. Everything. I had a customer who wanted to donate 4 Macs to charity. They wanted the hard drives erased on all 4. I did secure erases according to the Department of Defense standards on all 4 . 7 Gutmann passes. It takes hours. Even if you delete something from your computer it is still on the hard drive. Here are some suggestions to maintain your privacy on the internet. I practice all of these.
    (1 - Stay away from Facebook and Twitter as they are known for indentity theft malware and viruses.
    (2 - Get a good anti-spyware and anti-malware program.
    (3 Dont keep personal information such as tax records, phone#'s etc on your computer. Put that on a external hard drive or a flash drive.
    (4 - Use a safe browser such as Firefox and empty your cache every few days. Here are two good programs for spyware and malware . Run Super- antispyware and see who is tracking every move you make. Then run Malwarebytes. And please remember safe surfing and think long and hard before you give anyone your personal information.

SuperAntiSpyware Free Edition - Free software downloads and ...

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - Free software downloads and software ...

#12 Mr. Snakey, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
Draft saved Draft deleted