Probably one for the Shes and Hers of LPSG

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by D_Tim McGnaw, Oct 4, 2010.

1. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

So it's my birthday soon, 27 again! :tongue: Anyways, as a special birthday treat for myself I'm buying myself the hair I've always wanted. I have extremely thick, wavy unruly hair, which takes a hell of a lot of time, effort, money and product to make look normal rather than inexplicable.

All my life I've envied people with fine straight hair which takes less effort to look cute.

So in discussion with my award winning Hair Stylist the possibility of having this hair, without the horror of having to have a relax perm, or use Japanese straighteners, or a host of other harsh chemicals and dangerous implements was suddenly thrown in my lap.

Behold the Brazilian Blowout- Brazilian Blowout Such a fucking brilliant name!

A method of having perfectly straight manageable hair for 12 weeks without damaging your hair, in fact it improves hair quality, while reducing hair volume by as much as 30%, which in my case is a truly beautiful promise.

So my question is this, has anyone else ever had this treatment? Did it really last 12 weeks? If so how did it grow out, was it a case of having half straight hair and half curly hair in the end? Did it take a lot of after care? How would you rate its value for money? Is it really better than just using straighteners?

Your thoughts and if possible experiences too please :redface:

2. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Which hairs are we talking about?

3. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

My hairdresser's partner here has just gone and got herself qualified to offer that. She did her first treatment on my hairdresser and, 8 weeks later, it looks great. She couldn't sing its praises highly enough. Bear in mind here she was talking to me and my friend, both of whom have fine, straight hair and would not be in the market for 'Lissage Bresilienne', as it is called here, so she wasn't trying to sell her partner's services.

Couldn't tell you about the grow out stage - she says it is supposed to be much better than the Japanese straightening grow out. Her one negative was that it limits one to using specific and expensive shampoo, but as a hairdresser she has access to that for free by ordering it for the salon - so not a problem for her.

4. D_Tim McGnaw

Oh gosh can you imagine how weird it would look to have glossy, poker straight, fly-away pubes! :eek::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

5. D_Tim McGnaw

Yeah the Hair Stylist warned me about the shampoo, but I'm banking on the fact that because I have short hair I'll be able to make a bottle of it last a bit longer. Mind you I already use Shu Uemura hair products so I spend butt loads on shampoo anyway, I have a feeling my wallet wont notice too much difference :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

Profligacy thy name is hilaire!

I take it your Hairdresser's partner's hair is plus glossy right?

6. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    I coulda used that stuff in my twenties too. It was totally unruly like the last example on the testimonial page. I cut it at 30 years old much to my mother's and all the girl's dismay.

What this about an OHSA warning? There is an ongoing investigation in the states about the product containing very high levels of formaldehyde.

7. D_Tim McGnaw

Yeah that's an odd one, they say the OHSA are liars and the treatment has no formaldehyde in it whatsoever. I'm prepared to believe that, it would need to pass EU safety regulations to be used here and considering how stringent those are (half the ingredients considered safe in perfumes, just for instance, by the US Food and Drug administration are banned under EU regulations) and besides it contains extracts from plants and trees I believe, and formaldehyde occurs in compounds found in nature but made less harmful by its combination with other chemicals within the compound.

In any event, I smoke so I get plenty of formaldehyde already, if I minded that much being poisoned with embalming fluid I'd have given up the death sticks years ago. :tongue::biggrin1:

#7 D_Tim McGnaw, Oct 4, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  8. D_Tim McGnaw

Actually having just done a search I have discovered that the Brazilian Blowout may use a chemical called Glutaraldehyde, which is derived from formaldehyde and is a fairly serious chemical.

Mind you, what I said about smoking still holds true, I've probably pumped my body full of so much formaldehyde they could produce Glutaraldehyde from me for a decade! LOL

Edit: though in fact there's controversy as to whether or not the BB uses this chemical or whether or not cheaper Brazillian Keratin treatments do so, while the BB does not.

#8 D_Tim McGnaw, Oct 4, 2010
  9. Empathizer

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    This process is actually total news to me, but I'll have to pass the info along to my brother, who has what basically amounts to vaguely-wavy willful steel wool on top of his head.

10. curioustitan

curioustitan Member

Have to say that i've seen the 'Brazillian Blowout' mentioned on a couple of threads here already by some of the ladies... and having done a search on it after reading this thread i came across an "Egads!!!!" moment....... Cost: approximately $350.00...

"Profligacy thy name is Hilaire"....TRULY!!!!

Also, every site dedicated to this new treatment seems to vehemently refute the formaldehyde supposition.
    "Contains ABSOLUTELY NO FORMALDEHYDE.......unlike other treatments"...
    "NO FORMALDEHYDE .....whatsoever..."
    Okay, okay, we get it. No formaldehyde. Geeeez!!
    Hilaire, my oh-so-cute Paddy....i'm sure we can all club together for your first Brazillian BLOW.....out, as a fantastic 27th (??) gift ;)
    What say you?

11. D_Tim McGnaw

Meh, I learnt long ago that beauty doesn't come cheap, indeed my entire livelihood, perhaps even most of my career has been based on that principle, so I don't mind paying it forward a little. :biggrin1::wink:

I think the consensus on Formaldehyde is that the Brazilian Blowout (TM) does not contain it, or indeed any aldehydes at all, but that there are lots of cheap imitations of the Brazilian Blowout which claim to be basically identical but which in fact do contain large quantities of Formaldehyde and Glutaraldehyde.

I spoke to my stylist today, she assures me that the real thing is safe and does not contain formaldehyde.

The OSHA tests took straightening compounds from 2 salons in a specific area of the US (and did not test any of Brazilian Blowout's compound from source so to speak), it's entirely possible that these salons are marketing cheaper Brazilian Keratin treatments as The Brazilian Blowout (TM) and when asked to provide samples to the OSHA they provided samples of the cheaper compound rather than the real deal.

It would also explain why the reports of problems with Formaldehyde have only surfaced in one part of the US rather than everywhere Brazilian Blowout (TM) is sold. A group of salons in a particular area probably bought batches of a cheaper Keratin treatment from one or two vendors and got in to the habit of misrepresenting them to their customers.

I'm 100% confident in my stylist and the salon she works in, politicians, TV and Film celebs and lots of fashion types use it and it and my stylist have won awards so I don't think they'd be screwing me over with dodgy fake Brazilian Blowout which might be full of nasties.

#11 D_Tim McGnaw, Oct 4, 2010
  12. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Oh well then go for it already. You only turn 27 again once! Whats a few 'hydes anyways? I'm sure they'll dissipate or whatever they do.

13. big_tits4big_dicks

big_tits4big_dicks New Member

My girlfriend hated it! If you don't want your hair to hold any texture, or height ant the crown it's great. But you have to want that stick straight flat hair. My advice? Get a keratin straightening treatment. They will not hurt your hair, and lets you have the ability to shape it and play with it. The Brazilian=flat straight hair. I wish I had curls, diva curl is the most amazing hair system for curly hair, makes it seem almost like a wig the curls it makes are so amazing! But alas, I have only a slight wave...

14. D_Tim McGnaw

See I have short hair, but if my hair was long, it would have huge "S" type ringlets a la King Charles 2nd, which would be cute if I were a woman or a hippie or something. But it's frankly a nightmare for any other kind of short more masculine styles, and the frizz makes it impossible to look groomed or neat.

But having short hair which is both curly and extremely thick and unmanageable I think I'd be delighted with the poker straight more flat type of hair for a while.

Mind you I'm up for suggestions, if you know of any Keratin treatments which are used in salons I'll definitely check them out? :smile:

#14 D_Tim McGnaw, Oct 4, 2010
  15. D_Tim McGnaw

27 again is such a difficult age to be, 's why I need to pamper myself with clouds of lethal toxins :tongue:

16. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

My hairdresser (her business partner, also a hairdresser, did the treatment on her) - yes, she does. It looks great - she had a pic up on their website and I was going to pass you the link in PM but when I went looking she'd taken the pic down.

Oh dear - did they call you 'pube-head' in school? :eek::afro:

17. D_Tim McGnaw

Yeah, Pubie, Pubo, Pubes, Pube Head, these were just some of the names I was called as a kid :tongue::biggrin1:

18. nudeyorker

Gold Member

My natural hair is the consistency of a really bad home perm. I do this a few times a year. Make sure that the product is formaldehyde free or it burns like crazy.
    PS I have done the japanese relaxing too but this is better and less expensive. The end result is bouncing and behaving hair!

19. D_Tim McGnaw

Thanks Nudey, quite apart from the fact that I could have no better opinion on the matter, it's also reassuring to know that it works for someone with shorter hair, who wears men's hairstyles.

20. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    In my teens (back in the longer-the-better 70s), my hair was I M O S S I B L E! It was so thick and heavy that it was like wearing a sweaty wig 24/7. The top of it was a mass of waves all going in different directions simultaneously. Underneath all that turbulence was a mass of ringlet-type curls that my flat-haired sister would have given three teeth for :tongue:

None of the "approved" hairstyles for men worked on me at all, and the one summer I let it grow shoulder-length gave my mother the vapors, so I endured an endless series of truly hideous haircuts from about 73 until 77, when I took matters into my own hands (not literally, of course) and ditched the cheap-ass suburban unisex salons my mother paid for and spend very hard-earned cash from my job in Boston to get a genuinely professional cut on ultra-tony Newbury Street. I found a great place and spent the then-astronomical sum of about $45 to get access to a real hairdresser.

I don't think I need to remind anyone that 1977 was also the year I came out: coincidence? I don't think so :wink:

Though she never exactly got it straight, my hairstylist turned me from suburban hair-don't nightmare to a respectable-looking young man and incurred my lasting gratitude. Except when tight finances prohibited it, I continued to see her until, finally, shorter men's styles returned and I could get something simple without it's costing me half a week's wage.

By the time gel came in, I was in heaven: I affected a kind of Elvis Costello retro thing at work and limitless variations of spike-head on my off hours.

My Madonna-Blonde/JP Gaultier phase (93-95) burned my hair so badly that, at last, it thinned out to the point where a simple buzz cut and a small dollop of gel kept everything neat and comely, even after I went back to my natural light brown.

Nowadays, unless I keep it high-and-tight short, I look pretty much identical to my autistic special-needs sister: the resemblance is creepy-weird :rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted