Probably one for the Shes and Hers of LPSG

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
In my teens (back in the longer-the-better 70s), my hair was I M O S S I B L E! It was so thick and heavy that it was like wearing a sweaty wig 24/7. The top of it was a mass of waves all going in different directions simultaneously. Underneath all that turbulence was a mass of ringlet-type curls that my flat-haired sister would have given three teeth for :tongue:

None of the "approved" hairstyles for men worked on me at all, and the one summer I let it grow shoulder-length gave my mother the vapors, so I endured an endless series of truly hideous haircuts from about 73 until 77, when I took matters into my own hands (not literally, of course) and ditched the cheap-ass suburban unisex salons my mother paid for and spend very hard-earned cash from my job in Boston to get a genuinely professional cut on ultra-tony Newbury Street. I found a great place and spent the then-astronomical sum of about $45 to get access to a real hairdresser.

I don't think I need to remind anyone that 1977 was also the year I came out: coincidence? I don't think so :wink:

Though she never exactly got it straight, my hairstylist turned me from suburban hair-don't nightmare to a respectable-looking young man and incurred my lasting gratitude. Except when tight finances prohibited it, I continued to see her until, finally, shorter men's styles returned and I could get something simple without it's costing me half a week's wage.

By the time gel came in, I was in heaven: I affected a kind of Elvis Costello retro thing at work and limitless variations of spike-head on my off hours.

My Madonna-Blonde/JP Gaultier phase (93-95) burned my hair so badly that, at last, it thinned out to the point where a simple buzz cut and a small dollop of gel kept everything neat and comely, even after I went back to my natural light brown.

Nowadays, unless I keep it high-and-tight short, I look pretty much identical to my autistic special-needs sister: the resemblance is creepy-weird :rolleyes:

See this is the point, people always coo enviously about how lovely and thick and healthy my hair is, doubtless people have done the same to you over the years.

What they don't realise is what a headache it is to live with hair which looks like a giant Frank Gehry fantasia in the morning and would stay that way unless you did lots and lots of things to it, and/or spent lots of money on it at the hairdressers.

My greatest envy of all, is men who can get up in the morning, shower but not wash their hair, let it air dry and look great. Frankly I could be visiting the greatest hairstylist of all time I still wouldn't be able to do that. If I get it Brazilian Blowed I'll finally have found this elusive Shangri La, this Elysium, this Zen like place of carefree coiffure

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
See this is the point, people always coo enviously about how lovely and thick and healthy my hair is, doubtless people have done the same to you over the years.

What they don't realise is what a headache it is to live with hair which looks like a giant Frank Gehry fantasia in the morning and would stay that way unless you did lots and lots of things to it, and/or spent lots of money on it at the hairdressers.

My greatest envy of all, is men who can get up in the morning, shower but not wash their hair, let it air dry and look great. Frankly I could be visiting the greatest hairstylist of all time I still wouldn't be able to do that. If I get it Brazilian Blowed I'll finally have found this elusive Shangri La, this Elysium, this Zen like place of carefree coiffure

It probably wouldn't suit either your self-image or life style, but the high-and-tight I've been rocking more or less for the last 4-5 years is, by far, the easiest way I've ever worn my hair. I let it grow just a little longer than standard right at the hairline, longest at the center. It requires less than four minute's fuss per day, and I always look presentable (butch, even), without the flatulent blow-hard ennui-producing shaved head look so popular here. Besides, with my AIDSy-lipoatrophied face, I looked like a concentration camp survivor when I attempted it.

On excessively hot and humid days, when gel would just melt like ice cream, I wear it "down" over the forehead (descending perhaps an entire inch). In fall and winter, when temps return to regular balmy tropical and the humidity is no longer like being wrapped in a wet blanket, I buy the strongest gel I can find (nothing OTC: I go straight to beauty-supply wholesale/retail places and spend way too much, but it's still the only thing that works) and work it into a little peak.

My father's sister gave birth to four perfect Aryan specimens of humanity: tall, ice-blue eyes, athletic as well as naturally muscular, with straight, fine blonde hair. I always felt like a Bette Davis "little brown wren" in their presence, especially with my unruly mop of wavy-curly, poorly cut teen angst hair; the one bright spot is that, to the last, they are intellectual lightweights (and terribly materialistic to boot).

The also inherited the alcoholism gene (not just from my grandfather but their own father as well) and each completely self-destructed well in advance of their 40th birthdays. Though hardly the portrait of sobriety and self-restraint myself, I think I got enough of both guts and brains to have a sense of pride notably missing from all four...poor dears :cool:

But I still want their hair, dammit!

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
So needless to say I'm currently ecstatic with joy at how fabulous my hair looks, it's soft, floppy, glossy, frizz-proof, it needs no product, no styling and I don't have to worry about it getting wet and turning afro for weeks and weeks now!

LOOK! Ahhhhhhhhh.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_ZCD5JCfAnF8/TK84Nxk6__I/AAAAAAAAA-Y/kX5cCmvSPww/s400/DSC00739.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_ZCD5JCfAnF8/TK84Vx719iI/AAAAAAAAA-I/PZSrz_m94Do/s400/DSC00741.JPG

Oh and it only took a hour in the end and only cost 150 euros! :p

Opalite

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
That does look amazing, hilaire baby! But that article does kind off worry me though.. i have used japanese relaxers before, so this would seem like a good option (though, my hair isn't as frizzy as it is thick and curly).. I'm very curious how it grows out!

Either way, you look great!!

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Lovely new locks, Hilly. I like the look, and it sounds like you got something of a bargain to boot.

D_Hammond Happydipper

Account Disabled
Media
So my question is this, has anyone else ever had this treatment? Did it really last 12 weeks? If so how did it grow out, was it a case of having half straight hair and half curly hair in the end? Did it take a lot of after care? How would you rate its value for money? Is it really better than just using straighteners?

Your thoughts and if possible experiences too please :redface:
letting my hair grow out right now also
Right now I have to Deal with the COW licks
once it grows to a certain point I will not have to deal with them anymore

but it automatically turns into a wings hair style

Daisy

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hmm..well it looks nice but I'd have to see the curly version. As long as youre happy thats all that matters (well that, and if it wont make you sick with all those chemicals). I have always had stick straight hair and wished for curly hair, yes the grass is always greener.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media

Like I said, I smoke enough cigarettes to produces formaldehyde buy the pound.

Did you know that Chanel no.5 is chock full of aldehydes (the same family of chemicals a Formaldehyde) ? In fact Aldehydes are extremely common in a huge variety of cosmetics and other products.

I had the stinging eyes for a short period of time, like a few minutes, and I did have a slight pain in my chest this evening, but it's gone now, and frankly I get my hair coloured regularly and that's full of toxic chemicals, as are almost any cosmetics one cares to mention. That's not even taking in to account all the other ways I abuse my body.

The reason it might be recalled in some countries is because Salons use it without properly providing their staff with safety training and will require them to perform Brazilian Blowouts too often and without proper precautions.

My Stylist performs this fairly infrequently, and only under proper conditions.

As a person having the treatment performed on you the exposure is highly unlikely to do you any damage or harm beyond the emmediate stingy eyes etc. One is exposed to higher concentrations of more toxic chemicals than formaldehyde all the time.

I think your hair looks great.

Thank you so much! :redface:

That does look amazing, hilaire baby! But that article does kind off worry me though.. i have used japanese relaxers before, so this would seem like a good option (though, my hair isn't as frizzy as it is thick and curly).. I'm very curious how it grows out!

Either way, you look great!!

Thank you cherubina, I've never used Japanese straighteners, but I'm told the main difference is that Japanese straighteners actually change the structure of the hair, ultimately damaging it, where Brazilian Blowout dosen't change the hair structure but by puming Keratin into the hair cortex is strengthens the hair instead.

Lovely new locks, Hilly. I like the look, and it sounds like you got something of a bargain to boot.

Thank you sexy :redface: I'm glad you like it. My stylist is sooooo brilliant, I'm worried she'lll end up being my friend and then I wont be able to go to her for my hair cuts anymore...

letting my hair grow out right now also
Right now I have to Deal with the COW licks
once it grows to a certain point I will not have to deal with them anymore

but it automatically turns into a wings hair style

I have the world's most tenacious and extraordinary cow's lick so I can totally sympathise with you :wink:

Hmm..well it looks nice but I'd have to see the curly version. As long as youre happy thats all that matters (well that, and if it wont make you sick with all those chemicals). I have always had stick straight hair and wished for curly hair, yes the grass is always greener.

Cow's lick, curls and all here's a before -
DSC00674.JPG

That's after much much styling, huge quantities of product and obligatory blow dry... :redface:

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Wow, never thought I would read about BKT on LPSG!

Definitely feel your pain, Hilaire, as I am very curl as well, but never tried BKT. I usually rely on a flat iron or Dominican Blowouts to create a straight look, both chemical-free, however, only good for short term change.

There are formaldehyde-free BKT products, I haven't read of it being safer, just sans formaldehyde, so. :shrug: My cousin uses the formaldehyde-free variety and her hair looks great straight, but when the BKT wears off her texture is different - more on the wavy side where it was quite curly. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, as she chooses to wear straight styles 90% of the year.

Anyway, love how your hair turned out smooth with a lot of movement, congrats! :)

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Wow, never thought I would read about BKT on LPSG!

Definitely feel your pain, Hilaire, as I am very curl as well, but never tried BKT. I usually rely on a flat iron or Dominican Blowouts to create a straight look, both chemical-free, however, only good for short term change.

There are formaldehyde-free BKT products, I haven't read of it being safer, just sans formaldehyde, so. :shrug: My cousin uses the formaldehyde-free variety and her hair looks great straight, but when the BKT wears off her texture is different - more on the wavy side where it was quite curly. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, as she chooses to wear straight styles 90% of the year.

Anyway, love how your hair turned out smooth with a lot of movement, congrats! :)

I just can't rave about the Brazilian Blowout enough :tongue:

Thanks for the compliments! :redface: I can't stop touching it, it's so soft and floppy, and the shine is like silk. I've never had that before, I mean my hair is glossy and soft but not like this, and it's never this maleable and manageable.

I used to spend at least half an hour doing my hair a day! Now it's like 10 minutes at the most! In fact it looks great even if I do nothing to it :biggrin1: